Sharpening system for young beginner

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
owenfw

Sharpening system for young beginner

Post by owenfw »

I have a high school senior looking forward to leaving for college next fall, so we’re using Christmas to start getting her set up for independent living. Of course this means knives, and that means sharpening. I don’t think she’d be up to free hand quite yet given an arm mobility disability, and an Edge Pro seems like overkill, but I’m also not keen on giving her anything that’s going to dramatically shorten the lifespan of the mid-grade knives I’m getting her (think Shun type stuff). Any thoughts on a user friendly sharpening system to keep my baby girl’s fingers safe and her knives from being ground down to nubs?

I would just use knife sharpening as an excuse to visit dad, but she got stubborn and independent from both sides...
michael1778

Re: Sharpening system for young beginner

Post by michael1778 »

I sent my 20 year old to college with this:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/to.html

Seems to work well for knives without bolsters that are down in the way. It works well for her Fujiwara FKM gyuto and Tojiro DP 120mm petty. I used it myself before giving it to her. Follow the instructions given on the CKTG.com product page for good results.

A strop might be another option. I will leave that recommendation to the experts on those.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

michael1778 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:26 pm I sent my 20 year old to college with this:

Seems to work well for knives without bolsters that are down in the way. It works well for her Fujiwara FKM gyuto and Tojiro DP 120mm petty. I used it myself before giving it to her. Follow the instructions given on the CKTG.com product page for good results.

A strop might be another option. I will leave that recommendation to the experts on those.
Yes something like the above from Michael was what sprung to mind for me as well. Chef’s Choice is another brand that seems to be pretty well regarded, but I like the twin whetstones in the Tojiro
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
owenfw

Post by owenfw »

Anyone have feedback on the Chef’s Choice? I’ve seen mixed reviews on the Trizor 15.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

A good pull through sharpener, like the Tojiro suggested above, is probably the best way to go for someone who is not into knives and sharpening.
Ricardo
gladius

Post by gladius »

This $29 Chef’s Choice AngleSelect uses diamond abrasive with option for 15 degree Asian blade edges.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Chef ... -P530.aspx
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

michael1778 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:26 pm I sent my 20 year old to college with this:

Exactly what popped into my head reading the OP!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

owenfw wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:18 pm Anyone have feedback on the Chef’s Choice? I’ve seen mixed reviews on the Trizor 15.
Not something I would use on a "Shun" level knife but in the end as a last resort it is better than nothing.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
owenfw

Post by owenfw »

Thanks! I’ll try out that Torjiro pull through.