Which brand of sharpenig stone?

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
nitaknives

Which brand of sharpenig stone?

Post by nitaknives »

I'm looking to buy sharpening stones set ... medium price range. Which brand would you recommend and why?
I'm here to learn
Ourorboros

Re: Which brand of sharpenig stone?

Post by Ourorboros »

Well you're going to get a lot of answers on that, because from what I've seen Mark isn't carrying garbage and every good line has it's proponents.
First off, on price we can leave out Chosera and Suehiro Debado. And maybe Shapton Glass too.
Shapton Pros give the most bang for the buck and has the convenience of being splash and go. The 320-1k-5k group is often recommended.
However soaking stones give better feedback. A lot of people like the Suehiro Cerax.
Personally I mix between lines.

The reason there is no cut and dry answer is personal taste. You can get great edges on any of these lines.
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

I agree with all of the above. I even am committed to Shapton Glass. But, for someone new to sharpening I might well recommend something else. Shapton Pros are a great value. I enjoyed my Pro 2000 stone before selling it after committing to Shapton Glass.

You could go all Imanishi with a lovely two stone pair of the Imanishi Latte 400 and the Imanishi combination stone 1k/6k. I have used neither but, have considered that as an interesting pair for someone starting hoping for quality and great value. I have prized splash and go convenience a great deal because my living arrangements were very constrained. Those constraints have lessened. If I want to dabble in soaking stones, this two stone pair appeals to me as a start.

As the previous poster said, this could go all over the place. Apologies if that is not a satisfying answer.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

It might help if you can say what kind of price limit, not including a stone holder (you could build one) and flattening stone (you should get one).
Also, do you have time to let stones soak? Do you have a preference on feedback and texture? If you had soaking stones, do you have space for them to dry?
nitaknives

Post by nitaknives »

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm going to check all of the brands mentioned above and will make my decission.
I'm here to learn
nitaknives

Post by nitaknives »

Soaking stones, yes I do have time to soak them and space to let them dry too I guess unless ith requires some special environment. How long roughly do you need to soak the stones and let them dry after?
I'm here to learn
gladius

Post by gladius »

Greetings and welcome to the forum.
Check out the Imanishi stones, they are great in that they provide very good feedback which is important when learning.

I like the Imanishi Two Sided 1K/6K Stone<<. It will put a great edge on knives.

Mark put together a very good set: CKTG 6 Pc Sharpening Set << if you want to get a complete set. These include some of my favorite stones and all provide great feedback.
TheLegalRazor

Post by TheLegalRazor »

I have a Naniwa Professional (Chosera) 1k, and a progression of Naniwa Super Stones. I get good results with these stones, and plan on adding a lower grit Chosera. You can do fine with any of the brands of stones which CKTG carries. I suggest you get the stones which fit your budget, then start sharpening as often as possible. Developing sharpening skills is more important than the brand of stones.
Ricardo
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

There is also the Suehiro Cerax and Suehiro Rika that people give good feedback on.
They Kitayama 8K that people swear by.
dothedr3w

Post by dothedr3w »

nitaknives wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:47 am I'm looking to buy sharpening stones set ... medium price range. Which brand would you recommend and why?
What will you be sharpening (steel types)?
What's your budget?
Are you willing to go over-budget?
How many stones do you hope to get within that budget?
Do you want soaking stones, or convenient splash n go's?
Do you plan to buy a stone holder or get stones with built in bases?
Is portability important to you?
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

dothedr3w wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 pm
nitaknives wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:47 am I'm looking to buy sharpening stones set ... medium price range. Which brand would you recommend and why?
What will you be sharpening (steel types)?
What's your budget?
Are you willing to go over-budget?
How many stones do you hope to get within that budget?
Do you want soaking stones, or convenient splash n go's?
Do you plan to buy a stone holder or get stones with built in bases?
Is portability important to you?
These are the key questions.