which stones to fix a chip

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
saynotonwo420

which stones to fix a chip

Post by saynotonwo420 »

Hello

I am rather inexperienced with sharpening. We have a Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Santoku 165mm and it has a massive chip.
Which sharpening stones should I buy to fix this?

I am considering this stone: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/natr220grst.html

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP ... Ta-uyrETqh

Thank you!

Walter
Robstreperous

Re: which stones to fix a chip

Post by Robstreperous »

Hey. I couldn't get the picture to load but... depending how massive a massive chip is you might want to drop down to something more aggressive.

I use a 150 to start most repairs. Depending on how bad and how it is and how much much metal I need to remove sometimes I set the bevel with the 150 as well. Then move up to a 350 and a 1000 to finish setting the edge, thin and begin the polishing.

Just as an idea since you mentioned you weren't very experienced, especially if you don't own any of the stones, there are a couple of pro sharpeners on this board who could probably fix you up for less than a new set of stones. Unless of course you're using this as an opportunity to learn.

Just a thought.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Robstreperous wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:47 pm Hey. I couldn't get the picture to load but... depending how massive a massive chip is you might want to drop down to something more aggressive.

I use a 150 to start most repairs. Depending on how bad and how it is and how much much metal I need to remove sometimes I set the bevel with the 150 as well. Then move up to a 350 and a 1000 to finish setting the edge, thin and begin the polishing.

Just as an idea since you mentioned you weren't very experienced, especially if you don't own any of the stones, there are a couple of pro sharpeners on this board who could probably fix you up for less than a new set of stones. Unless of course you're using this as an opportunity to learn.

Just a thought.
And a very good thought! Mark, co-owner of CKTG also does repairs.

Just an aside, Robstreperous, whenever I see your nym, I think of (and pronounce it in my head) Robespierre. After decades of knowing the name, I finally looked him up. He's not what I thought he was. Sigh, I guess I had lousy education.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

I cannot get that photo link to work either. Google gives the following error for that URL:
"404. That’s an error.

The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

You might want to try linking another picture. If the chip is large, a coarser stone would be a better stone to start with.You may need several stones for a proper edge.

Ken
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I would like to see what we are talking about but, if it's a big problem Ken sells a Nubatama Bamboo Black 180 thats a very fast cutter and stays wet and forms a good mud. Ken, you can correct me if that stone you sold me is not Bamboo Black.
unclemike

Post by unclemike »

Here’s one I fixed

I used Nubatama 150 for grinding and bevelling, then just a progression of stones to sharpen.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Great pics and really nice job unclemike. Just out of curiosity with the 150 did you go at the chips at more or less the same angle you were going to finish at or did you raise the angle to remove the chips and then go down to 15 degrees or whatever to finish?
David
saynotonwo420

Post by saynotonwo420 »

Hi everyone I appreciate the replies, I don't know how to include an image in the text box.
saynotonwo420

Post by saynotonwo420 »

unclemike

Post by unclemike »

d_rap wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:40 pm Great pics and really nice job unclemike. Just out of curiosity with the 150 did you go at the chips at more or less the same angle you were going to finish at or did you raise the angle to remove the chips and then go down to 15 degrees or whatever to finish?
I did it at the same angle I wanted to finish at. It was an asymmetrical edge and I wanted to keep it the same so I just went slow and kept checking as I went. Probably either way would work, but that’s how I decided to do it. I was going to use my Atoms 140, but you can get some really deep scratches with that and then you have to remove more metal getting them out.
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

unclemike wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:35 pm Here’s one I fixed

I used Nubatama 150 for grinding and bevelling, then just a progression of stones to sharpen.
Good job. I also have the Nubatama 150 but, I would that even after soaking it I still had to keep adding water as I did a repair. I got frustrated because my shop is not set up to handle the water "runoff" so I spoke with Ken and got the Nubatama Black 180. I cut as fast and it did hold the water a lot better. I'm sure either stone would work for that repair and you did a very nice job.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jacko9 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:33 pm I would like to see what we are talking about but, if it's a big problem Ken sells a Nubatama Bamboo Black 180 thats a very fast cutter and stays wet and forms a good mud. Ken, you can correct me if that stone you sold me is not Bamboo Black.
That's the one! (180). I now have a 220 and a 46 and 80 too. Lets see that chip.

Ken
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

ken123 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:34 pm
jacko9 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:33 pm I would like to see what we are talking about but, if it's a big problem Ken sells a Nubatama Bamboo Black 180 thats a very fast cutter and stays wet and forms a good mud. Ken, you can correct me if that stone you sold me is not Bamboo Black.
That's the one! (180). I now have a 220 and a 46 and 80 too. Lets see that chip.

Ken
Yes I wanted the 220 when I called you but it was out of stock at the time but, for me the 180 is perfect and very easy to use. Durable as well since it got knocked off my work bench and survived without a problem. I don't want to do that too often!
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

saynotonwo420 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:48 pm oh here we go!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DAD1TbAzB7b5irok8
I am not a pro. I am not as schooled or experienced as others on this thread. That said, here was my first reaction (out loud no less):
"Oh, SH*T that's big!! Oh no and a second chip too!"

Unless you want to go on a crash course in repairing, flattening, and then sharpening while buying gear and spending money I strongly recommend you send that to a professional. I feel very comfortable sharpening my own knives from White #2 to VG-10 to Aogami Super to SG2 to BD1N steels. Even so, I'd send that to a pro to fix because that will become a relatively different knife after the repairs. I have no experience with such a deep repair and any thinning that may be needed.

But, if you like learning under pressure and have both the time and money to spend then have at it.
Regardless, I am sorry for your damage and hope it gets fixed to your liking.

Best Regards,
Mike
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Mike - we'll make a pro of you yet! :)

---
Ken