Can this be fixed

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Sanjosedale

Can this be fixed

Post by Sanjosedale »

This has been my go to knife for the past 30 years, until I got a Gyuto from CKTO recently. I used an electric sharpener on it, you can see the heel edge is worn away next to the bolster. The edge will no longer contact the curing board. I’m wondering if this could be repaired, or if its worthwhile? After 30 years, this knife doesn’t owe me anything. I have a bench grinder in the garage, but reluctant to do this myself, I value my fingers too much. Perhaps take to a knife sharpening service?

Dale
Attachments
C10967FF-4FE3-4E9D-B978-84E279F3D838.jpeg
ken123

Re: Can this be fixed

Post by ken123 »

Yes it can be fixed. DON'T USE an ekectric sharpener on these knives and DON'T take the knife to a sharpening service. If those are your choices just get a new knife. You will need to regrind the bolster and resharpen the entire edge which is a fair amount of work.
---
Ken
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

It is quite fixable.

Whether it's worth it, that's a difficult question that depends on your attachment to it and the quality of the knife.

If you're here and you're asking my guess is that it's worth doing since the cost won't be high even if you take it somewhere. It's not hard to fix at all.
Sanjosedale

Post by Sanjosedale »

I’ve already decided to no longer use the electric sharpener. Any advice for grinding the bolster myself?
I don’t use this knife much anymore, but a have a few children who are really getting into cooking, who would appreciate this as a gift.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

"Any advice for grinding the bolster myself?"

Well get ready to scratch up the rest of the blade... and removing those scratches :)

And then resharpening the whole knife. Advice? Be patient.

---
Ken