Diamond paste

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
Asterik216

Diamond paste

Post by Asterik216 »

I recently purchased some .5 paste and 1 micron spray and finally got around to using them today. The spray works like a champ but the paste is super sticky. I know it says that it is water based so I am not sure what is going. Has anyone else had this issue with their paste?
ken123

Re: Diamond paste

Post by ken123 »

Try the Ken Schwartz emulsion formulations instead. Many are listed in Kens Corner on the cktg web site. I have over 200 formulations so just contact me for more choices. Contact info is on this posting.

Ken
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

I use Ken's 0.75 micron CBN emulsion with great results on cherry wood. I cut a piece of cherry to fit into one of my Shapton Pro boxes and use it daily. After a few years with me being rushed sometimes the wood got nicked up a bit so two days ago i used a hand plane and brought the surface back smooth and a dab of emulsion and I'm back in business.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I've had very good luck over the years with paste on leather and felt - have a felt strop in my knife roll right now that has had years of buildup with Chromium Oxide (1u) paste - have same thing on my fly vests for sharpening hooks. If you really like to play with sharp stuff, get some nanocloth from Ken and some of his emulsions - expensive but well worth it.

My dad always used yellow and green paste (2.5 and 1u) on one strop, and bare leather on the other one - old British razor strops. Still have them hanging in the main upstairs bathroom.
BurlsnBlades

Post by BurlsnBlades »

If it's water based, I wonder if you could add a few drops of water to thin it? Works great for other water based glues.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The Ken Schwartz sprays and emulsions are water soluble. The water is deionized water in my preparations. I would use this if you wish to dilute my preparations. Tap water or distilled water would be less desirable and allow for more particle agglomeration.

---
Ken