Knives that do and don’t need finish sharpening

If you have questions about sharpening products, steels or techniques post them here.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Re: Knives that do and don’t need finish sharpening

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

XexoX wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:22 pm Of course, if the knife really doesn't need the finish sharpening, I suspect that Mark would let me know.
Yes indeed Mark will...when I damn near broke an ankle getting back to my computer to order the Anryu B#2 Hammered Gyuto when the availability email arrived, I ordered the knife as fast as my fingers would type and hit send. Then later that afternoon, I forgot to add the finish sharpening service so I emailed Mark to add it to my order. He told me to save my money as the Anryu will be very sharp OOTB. It was and still is (with a bit of stropping as needed).
t_cos

Post by t_cos »

For finish sharpening of new knives, what grit stone do you use? Or will just stropping do the job? Thanks.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Look at CKTG on YouTube and you can see Mark go through his progression in some recent videos. It's a relatively fast but full stone progression, often from a 320 if I'm remembering correctly up to 4 or 6K.
David
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

My new Tsunehisa G3 nakiri had a nice edge on it. I did a little stropping just to brighten it up but I intend to run the original edge for a while and see how it lasts. Quite sharp.
clifton

Post by clifton »

The Kurosaki Fujin AS I received was very sharp OOTB but the Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Gyuto was the opposite. I am having trouble with tomato and mango skin. Just wondering if this is an outlier or to be expected.
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

clifton wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:48 pm The Kurosaki Fujin AS I received was very sharp OOTB but the Kurosaki Shizuku R2 Gyuto was the opposite. I am having trouble with tomato and mango skin. Just wondering if this is an outlier or to be expected.
It might not have been properly deburred. Stropping with leather or even cardboard should fix it.