Forcing a patina on Anryu Hammered nakiri

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
Chappychap

Forcing a patina on Anryu Hammered nakiri

Post by Chappychap »

Hi there, first time poster long time listener.

I've been searching around the forum for some advice on how to best prepare my new Anryu hammered B#2 nakiri for use, in terms of forcing a patina. I have a few questions that I'm hoping some knowledgeable, kind person here can help me with:

1. For this knife in particular, I'm not sure if the spine is stainless cladded. I don't think it is. Can anyone confirm?
2. Assuming it's not cladded; I'm assuming this means I should force a patina on the spine as well as edge? If so - I'm guessing with a q-tip + something acidic?
3. What substance would folks recommend for forcing the patina, both for edge and spine, and how long should I leave it on? I've heard of everything from leaving the knife in coffee to wiping with mustard, but as it's my first run at this I'm still trying to orientate a bit.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
ken123

Re: Forcing a patina on Anryu Hammered nakiri

Post by ken123 »

Welcome!

Try some ferric chloride.
---
Ken
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

It's a stainless clad knife I wouldn't worry about forcing a patina. Not enough exposed carbon to worry about just use it. Form a patina by chopping some onions! ;) :ugeek:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

All good advice.

By the way if you look very closely at the spine in good light or take a clear magnified picture of the spine with your cell phone you'll be able to see the core steel and the cladding on either side. There will be three distinct stripes looking down at the spine.

But yeah just dry it after use, including the spine, and go to town.
David
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Thanks all
ken123

Post by ken123 »

The patina from onions produced by the onion's acid and the relief from ferric chloride will produce relatively similar effects. Even surgical stainless surgical instruments made from 440 c stainless will show rust and or patina albeit at a slower rate.

---
Ken