Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Proper user technique and care is essential to enjoying these high performance knives to their fullest while keeping edge damage to a minimum. Learn how here.
lsboogy

Re: Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Post by lsboogy »

My Carter 52100 blade came with a patina that I think was a hot vinegar fume soak for a long time - blade is quite black and never discolors anything and seem to only need wiping for the most part (I wipe down blades often - very often - probably more than needed. But I love forced patinas - my daughter has a few carbon steel blades that I have patinaed for her - use a mix of mustard and vinegar (make a paste so that it sticks to the blade) and I have "written" her name or initials on the blades she takes to work (use straight mustard and a toothpick to put her name on, leave for half an hour, and then rinse, dry, and patina the rest of the blade - no other blades like Em on the planet and she loves them). A good patina will also pretty much prevent rust and discoloration of product once deep enough.

stalliondawg444

Re: Carbon blade care how much effort is it really?

Post by stalliondawg444 »

I think patina adds beautiful character to a carbon knife. My favorite so far is my Shigeki Tanaka Damascus Petty - looks like an ocean of blue and purple after a few weeks of use primarily on meat