EDC suggestions

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: EDC suggestions

Post by ronnie_suburban »

XexoX wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:38 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:26 pmEvery Day Carry :)
So, does my Case knife count as an EDC, since I carry it every day? Or does this only apply to a larger knife, like a single blade folding knife, or non-folding?

Edited to take out "pen" in Case Knife. I've called it that all my life, but checking, I guess it isn't a pen knife as it has three blades.
I didn't make the rules but I think applies to anything you carry every day, not just knives. Pens, bandannas, handkerchiefs, firearms, watches, sunglasses, key-carries, etc.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

EDC usually refers to something you carry every day, like your Case (Stockman?). Some people carry fixed blades, others carry locking folders, slipjoints (I have a nice GEC that I carry occasionally). Some people EDC a pistol, slip joint, tactical folder, fixed blade, etc. For knives, it's usually something small and light that's a daily user, not a pretty show piece. IE EDC a Glock instead of an engraved S&W 44 magnum revolver.

I like something with a 2.5-3" blade, fixed or folding or a good slipjoint, depending on what my day entails. I have fancier knives for more dressy occasions, more tactical looking knives for heavier duty. For example, for work, I carry a Bark River PSK EDC in Elmax, a Gerber Ultralight LST and a Benchmade Bugout, plus my SOG multitool on my duty belt. When I am just home, sometimes it's my Bugout, or Spyderco Manix 2, a Kershaw or some sort, or benchmade Mini Rukus, Gerber Applegate etc. I always have something on me, but it varies. I like having a fixed blade for EDC and have a few Bark Rivers for that purpose as well. I am going to be making some fixed EDC blades starting next month as well; I have been handles on premade blanks currently until my new belt sander arrives.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Jeff B wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:16 am Can we finally just get rid of this douchebag! :evil:
laughing makes my kidney hurt. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I wear a suit a lot of the time so I like something slim that I can put in my interior jacket pocket. Been using the Boker Urban trapper. Simple vg-10 but feels good to hold, sharpening seems easy enough.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Jackworld is permanently deleted for being a Ganzomaniac. Carry on.

---
Ken
Paul282

Post by Paul282 »

I just ordered an Opinel #9 carbon folder. I will use this knife more as a "house" knife for letters, packages, general around the house utility, maybe some light food prep for fun, and as an entry experience into a carbon steel pocket knife. Even if I end up not liking the knife that much (which I doubt) its already worth the ~$20 it cost just for sheer anticipatory excitement value. The feedback about Opinels on this thread definitely sealed that decision so thanks to everyone for their input.

I am still in the market for more of a single handed opening EDC "gentlemens" knife. Ive owned two ZDP189 spyderco dragonflies over the past 6 or so years and lost both of them. I LOVED the knife (obviously since I lost one and later repurchased the exact same knife) however, for me, they are so light they really do disappear in your pocket which is great in a lot of ways but not good in that you can easily have it fall out of your pocket and not realize it until much later. The ergonomics on the spyderco dragonfly were amazing for such a small blade but I think im ready to sacrifice some of that as well as handle materials like fiberglass reinforced nylon, and the resulting feather light weight, for a more classic gentlemens styled edc knife.

I am looking for a slightly more substantial EDC with a more classic styling but I still want some modern details such as one handed opening. The benchmade crooked river mentioned previously in this thread may be the closest thing to what I'm looking for. I do wish it was a little less expensive (previous edc knife loss im sure contributing to this) and I wish it had double sided wood scales. From the pics it looks like the side with the pocket clip is not wood. The look of the benchmade mini crooked river really appealed to me.

Essentially what I think I'm after is a classic Buck-esque looking folding knife but with a flipper or thumb stud opening mechanism. The reliability of build quality of buck, benchmade, spyderco, etc is what I'd prefer. If I had to sacrifice "steel quality" to something as low as the AUS8 spectrum I could live with that. Under $200 preferred, the lower the better (so im not so inclined to baby it) but any recommendations are welcome even if above that price range.. Any thoughts?
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Paul282 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:14 pm I just ordered an Opinel #9 carbon folder. I will use this knife more as a "house" knife for letters, packages, general around the house utility, maybe some light food prep for fun, and as an entry experience into a carbon steel pocket knife. Even if I end up not liking the knife that much (which I doubt) its already worth the ~$20 it cost just for sheer anticipatory excitement value. The feedback about Opinels on this thread definitely sealed that decision so thanks to everyone for their input.

I am still in the market for more of a single handed opening EDC "gentlemens" knife. Ive owned two ZDP189 spyderco dragonflies over the past 6 or so years and lost both of them. I LOVED the knife (obviously since I lost one and later repurchased the exact same knife) however, for me, they are so light they really do disappear in your pocket which is great in a lot of ways but not good in that you can easily have it fall out of your pocket and not realize it until much later. The ergonomics on the spyderco dragonfly were amazing for such a small blade but I think im ready to sacrifice some of that as well as handle materials like fiberglass reinforced nylon, and the resulting feather light weight, for a more classic gentlemens styled edc knife.

I am looking for a slightly more substantial EDC with a more classic styling but I still want some modern details such as one handed opening. The benchmade crooked river mentioned previously in this thread may be the closest thing to what I'm looking for. I do wish it was a little less expensive (previous edc knife loss im sure contributing to this) and I wish it had double sided wood scales. From the pics it looks like the side with the pocket clip is not wood. The look of the benchmade mini crooked river really appealed to me.

Essentially what I think I'm after is a classic Buck-esque looking folding knife but with a flipper or thumb stud opening mechanism. The reliability of build quality of buck, benchmade, spyderco, etc is what I'd prefer. If I had to sacrifice "steel quality" to something as low as the AUS8 spectrum I could live with that. Under $200 preferred, the lower the better (so im not so inclined to baby it) but any recommendations are welcome even if above that price range.. Any thoughts?
You might want to check out the line of Spyderco knives with pakkawood handles that are available at Knife Center. You could, once again, replace your dragonfly but this time with the wood scales that you like.

Ferrum Forge's Gent (marketed by Drop, formerly massdrop) is a nice knife, too. It's CPM-S35VN and available with wood scales though, as is often the case with EDC, availability may be spotty. I also really like my Kizer Gemini (with carbon fiber scales), which is a Ray Laconico design. Other than the TRM Atom (about which I posted upthread), this is probably my favorite EDC knife. It's S35VN, super-smooth flipper deployment and lightweight, too. It's just under 3 ounces for a blade slightly over 3 inches, so a very nice length to weight ratio. Its design isn't tactical in any way but it might not be "gentleman" enough for you.

A lot of people are singing the praises of the CRKT CEO as a great Gentleman EDC. It's not my style at all but it's thin and light enough that it can be carried in a shirt pocket, so that distinguishes it. Thumb-stud opener and 8Cr13MoV steel, which is at the low end. But it's just over 2 ounces and has a blade that's just over 3 inches, so I can see why it has its fans, especially with a ~$40 price.

Without getting model-specific, if you're not opposed to buying a Chinese knife, you may want to check out Civivi knives. Civivi is the more budget-friendly brand of WE knives. They make a lot of models and I find their quality to be exceptional, especially for the price.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Bunchmade Bugout is a great, slim, light EDC. My favorite! But not wood scales. I am not sure if anyone is making aftermarket wood scales; I have seen G10, Carbon Fiber, Aluminum and Micarta aftermarket scales for them.

If you don't want a pocket clip, get a Buck 110 in S30V and a add on thumb stud (they use a set screw to attach to the blade). No pocket clip, but it's kinda of heavy for a pocket knife!

Mcusta makes some folders with wood scales, too:
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Mcusta-Ta ... nife--4523
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Mcusta-Ta ... scus--5697
Paul282

Post by Paul282 »

Oh no.. mahogany pakkawood HAP40 spydercos!? I may have to splurge a bit for one of the larger versions this time. Not to mention the Mcustas.. i have not seen the Mcusta brand before but that grooved cocobolo with damasacus is speaking to my j knife addiction pretty strongly. All of the other suggestions are great too. Many I had not seen before and I've done a fair bit of googling lately and what I consider a lot of research about 6 years ago (pre CKTG days for me). CKTG forums > my google-foo for sure. I'm gonna mull these over. Thanks again for the suggestions.