Twice in one week!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Twice in one week!

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Twice this week, friends for whom I recently sharpened knives informed me that they'd cut themselves on the knives I'd done for them. Both commented on how sharp the knives were; one referring to them as "sharp AF." I've been sharpening for just under two years and doubt I've sharpened more than 400 knives in that time. So, I'm still very much a n00b. And I'm not happy that I indirectly caused injury to anyone, let alone friends but hey, I guess my sharpening skills are steadily improving. In D&D terms, I think I'm now Level 2. :D
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
gladius

Re: Twice in one week!

Post by gladius »

Congrats!
At this stage, what is your favorite progression?
ronnie_suburban

gladius wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:29 am Congrats!
At this stage, what is your favorite progression?
Well, I don't have many freehand stones and as you can guess, most of the knives that come my way are fairly similar to each other -- assorted stainless Henckels, Wusthof or Shun that are very dull and occasionally have minor damage. What I've found works very nicely is starting with either the Shapton Pro 220x or Suehiro Cerax 320 Grit (if they're really beat up, I'll start with the Atoma Diamond 140), followed by Suehiro Cerax 1k and then Naniwa Professional Chosera 3k. At the end, I almost always double-strop on bovine, first with 4μ and then finally with 2μ (both CBN). I have some of Ken's nano strops and some finer compounds but I've yet to deploy them.

I also recently picked up a full set of Nubatama Platinum stones from Ken that are cut for Edge Pro Systems (I have a Hapstone that I use mainly for my EDCs). I like those stones a lot and have had fun messing around with them, mostly on my EDCs. I may pick up a few of them in full-size, soon.
=R=
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Right on Ronnie. It always amazes me the sorry state most people keep their knives. Many family and friends never get them sharpened and they’re no better than butter knives in their drawers. Then you sharpen one for them and draw it through some paper and they think you’re a wizard. :)
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

Great job on the knives Ronnie. Once they learn to respect the edge and keep their fingers away they'll be far less likely to cut themselves in the future, so I say you did them a major service.

One of the secretaries at my work brought in her main kitchen knife for me to sharpen on my Lansky a couple weeks ago (don't worry...FisherMAn1298 is nudging me into the world of hand sharpening on water stones so the Lansky is going to get retired). It was about a 5" cuisineart santoku and the edge was exactly like a butter knife. I put a new 20 degree edge on it and gave it a final stropping and it was cleanly slicing paper. She was amazed that she could now cut onions without crying. Apparently, crushing them to pieces is not the best way to chop produce. :lol:
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

Haha I think it's eye opening to people who never sharpen their knives to experience what actual sharpness is. So long as they stay out of the emergency room, this is good news!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I have friends and family that won't let me touch their knives because they say I'll make them too sharp! :? There are others though that every time I'm coming over that always ask "You are bringing your stones aren't you?" :D
Last edited by Jeff B on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

Jeff B wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:20 am I have friends and family that won't let me touch their knives because they say I'll make the too sharp! :? There are others though that every time I'm coming over that always ask "You are bringing your stones aren't you?" :D
That's so true
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 pm I've been sharpening for just under two years and doubt I've sharpened more than 400 knives in that time. So, I'm still very much a n00b.
Well, I'm screwed as a new sharpener then ☹
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I sharpened some knives for a bagel shop. I was told there were several cuts from the sharpened blades cutting bagels - they held the bagels in their hands while cutting them. I do get knives that are just tomato squashers :) . some are just 'knives from hell' . It does amaze me just how dull some knives get.
Glad to see that you are enjoying your Platinums!!

Ken
ken123

Post by ken123 »

I've actually been asked to make knives less sharp :) It was an Hatori Kd sharpened at 5° per side. He wanted to sell it and feared that his new customer would destroy this delicate edge.

Ken
Billhanna

Post by Billhanna »

My mother in law used to complain about my MERCER being too sharp. The nice knives go in the cabinet when she’s around, so she doesn’t cut off a hand.

🤔
ronnie_suburban

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:13 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:59 pm I've been sharpening for just under two years and doubt I've sharpened more than 400 knives in that time. So, I'm still very much a n00b.
Just have to keep going. The count doesn't really matter. Simply put, we n00bs need the reps. The more situations and variables we see, the more experience we accrue. I have a lot of knives, so individually, they don't get much wear. Thus, my sharpening experience so far comes largely from sharpening knives for friends and family. I beg folks for them. On the down side, since most non-knife people -- even skilled home cooks -- tend to buy the same things, I'm seeing a fairly narrow range of knife/steel types. On the plus side, I've learned a pretty effective routine for dealing with knives within those parameters.

One of the friends who cut himself told me he wasn't sure that he agreed with the axiom that sharp knives are safer than dull ones. I chuckled and told him "I guess that depends on a slew of variables."

@all -- Yeah, it really is something how dull people let their knives get. A few of the friends for whom I've sharpened would routinely buy a new knife when their previous knives got dull. That's why I often receive groups of very similar knives from them (often wrapped together in a small towel and rubber-banded or tied up into a bundle). I bought a bunch of CKTG sheathes, just so I could return their sharpened knives in safe and proper fashion.

Yes, Ken. I love those Nubatama Platinums that I bought from you for my Hapstone. I just sharpened my wife's VG10 Spyderco Ladybug on those and wow! If it wasn't purple and had a pocket clip, I may have just kept it! :P
=R=
atang

Post by atang »

It’s so bittersweet when the bandages come out. Cutting things efficiently and without injury takes practice. I’ve had my share of cuts and stitches. Just part of the process. Though the ease of the knife through the finger is one way to pass a sharpness test. When the cut is so subtle, you didn’t even feel it...
ronnie_suburban

atang wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:11 pm It’s so bittersweet when the bandages come out. Cutting things efficiently and without injury takes practice. I’ve had my share of cuts and stitches. Just part of the process. Though the ease of the knife through the finger is one way to pass a sharpness test. When the cut is so subtle, you didn’t even feel it...
Yeah, I've cut myself more than a few times but only a couple of times during sharpening. Those instances were caused by such carelessness and stupidity on my part, sharpness (or lack thereof) had almost nothing to do with it. When it comes to sharpening, I'm still firmly on the RAT (Rookie, Amateur, Tourist) Squad. :oops:
=R=
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:16 am Right on Ronnie. It always amazes me the sorry state most people keep their knives. Many family and friends never get them sharpened and they’re no better than butter knives in their drawers. Then you sharpen one for them and draw it through some paper and they think you’re a wizard. :)
You are so right Mr. Wizard! It feels wonderful to see the look on people's faces after you sharpen their knife and they try it for the first time. What kills me is how many people out there know someone who takes back their knife and tests the edge WITH THEIR FINGER!!!! There's a mensa move if I ever saw one. IF they bleed, the knife passed the test! I never thought about other peoples blades much until now. Every time I mention it they ask me to sharpen them and my only condition is keep your fingers away from the edge! The real fun is introducing someone to the joy of the sharpening world itself. You know, feed me for a day, teach me to fish kind of thing. Knowing that they'll now get to feel the kick you get out of bringing a knife to a seriously sharp edge. The kind you only get sharpening a high quality steel knife like blue, white or one of the powdered steels. So Uber sharp you're extra careful handling it. That's not to say you can't put a great edge on a cheapo knife they all have. 20 years old, duller than a butter knife!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 pm
7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:13 pm
Just have to keep going. The count doesn't really matter. Simply put, we n00bs need the reps. The more situations and variables we see, the more experience we accrue. I have a lot of knives, so individually, they don't get much wear. Thus, my sharpening experience so far comes largely from sharpening knives for friends and family. I beg folks for them. On the down side, since most non-knife people -- even skilled home cooks -- tend to buy the same things, I'm seeing a fairly narrow range of knife/steel types. On the plus side, I've learned a pretty effective routine for dealing with knives within those parameters.

One of the friends who cut himself told me he wasn't sure that he agreed with the axiom that sharp knives are safer than dull ones. I chuckled and told him "I guess that depends on a slew of variables."

@all -- Yeah, it really is something how dull people let their knives get. A few of the friends for whom I've sharpened would routinely buy a new knife when their previous knives got dull. That's why I often receive groups of very similar knives from them (often wrapped together in a small towel and rubber-banded or tied up into a bundle). I bought a bunch of CKTG sheathes, just so I could return their sharpened knives in safe and proper fashion.

Yes, Ken. I love those Nubatama Platinums that I bought from you for my Hapstone. I just sharpened my wife's VG10 Spyderco Ladybug on those and wow! If it wasn't purple and had a pocket clip, I may have just kept it! :P
My God Ronnie you have almost every great stone out there! There's only one place to go for nubitamas, a truly GREAT stone, isn't it Ken! I already feel like a newbie you make me feel like an infant! I wish I had 400 knives to sharpen. Now that's what I call having fun!That is one hell of a group of stones! Sharpton Pro, Suehiro Cerax, Naniwa Pro Chocera3k,double strop on leather with 2 +4 micron CBN. I would say you can't go any farther but that wouldn't be true, would it Ken! Well done and pass it forward!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Well pardoning my bias but I know things will go well with a full set of Platinums no matter what the knife. But yes you can always go even finer!

Ken
ronnie_suburban

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:46 pm My God Ronnie you have almost every great stone out there! There's only one place to go for nubitamas, a truly GREAT stone, isn't it Ken! I already feel like a newbie you make me feel like an infant! I wish I had 400 knives to sharpen. Now that's what I call having fun!That is one hell of a group of stones! Sharpton Pro, Suehiro Cerax, Naniwa Pro Chocera3k,double strop on leather with 2 +4 micron CBN. I would say you can't go any farther but that wouldn't be true, would it Ken! Well done and pass it forward!
I guess it's all relative because when I read some of the posts here and see all the offerings in the store and the classifieds, I feel like own virtually no stones. But the ones I do have, I learned about here and was glad to have such an incredible resource to guide me. It's a small but functional collection.

Just to clarify, of the approximately 400 knives I've sharpened, I'm guessing that at least 75% of them belong to friends and family. I was making a list the other day of all my "customers" (they're not truly customers because obviously, I don't charge anyone). There are 10 total households for whom I've sharpened knives and many of them have been repeat business. I'm almost never given fewer than 6 at a time (sets of steak knives are common) and more often, it's around 10. My stepmom holds the record. She once gave me 14 of them in one dump, including a set of 6 very dubious laguiole steak knives that I managed to convert from letter openers into blades that might actually cut meat. But without all those outside knives coming in, I would have had a lot fewer opportunities to sharpen (and learn). I have to constantly ask and remind people to let me sharpen for them.
=R=
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:00 am
FisherMAn1298 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:46 pm My God Ronnie you have almost every great stone out there! There's only one place to go for nubitamas, a truly GREAT stone, isn't it Ken! I already feel like a newbie you make me feel like an infant! I wish I had 400 knives to sharpen. Now that's what I call having fun!That is one hell of a group of stones! Sharpton Pro, Suehiro Cerax, Naniwa Pro Chocera3k,double strop on leather with 2 +4 micron CBN. I would say you can't go any farther but that wouldn't be true, would it Ken! Well done and pass it forward!
I guess it's all relative because when I read some of the posts here and see all the offerings in the store and the classifieds, I feel like own virtually no stones. But the ones I do have, I learned about here and was glad to have such an incredible resource to guide me. It's a small but functional collection.

Just to clarify, of the approximately 400 knives I've sharpened, I'm guessing that at least 75% of them belong to friends and family. I was making a list the other day of all my "customers" (they're not truly customers because obviously, I don't charge anyone). There are 10 total households for whom I've sharpened knives and many of them have been repeat business. I'm almost never given fewer than 6 at a time (sets of steak knives are common) and more often, it's around 10. My stepmom holds the record. She once gave me 14 of them in one dump, including a set of 6 very dubious laguiole steak knives that I managed to convert from letter openers into blades that might actually cut meat. But without all those outside knives coming in, I would have had a lot fewer opportunities to sharpen (and learn). I have to constantly ask and remind people to let me sharpen for them.
Wish you lived closer, I'd "let" you sharpen my knives. :mrgreen:
Guess I'll have to look into sharpening next, but not yet, too many other things I need to get done before that rabbit hole.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.