First new Jknives and post

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Mitch188

First new Jknives and post

Post by Mitch188 »

Hi All New Member

Having used Enso,miyabi and Wustoff I decided to try some of Marks Jknives
Bought a Goko 150 Petty and was very impressed with the OOB sharpness but hit it with a 3K Shapton and strop and was blown away with how sharp it got.
Today I received a Kurosaki Fujin AS. F&F is awesome and OOB sharpness is scary. How I known how nice the Kuro was in person I might have bought his petty also.
The Kuro AS was a birthday present to myself 8-)
Very happy with the selection and service from CKTGO.
Mitchell
XexoX

Re: First new Jknives and post

Post by XexoX »

Welcome Mr. Mitch!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Kurosaki makes awesome stuff as well as Goko, so those are 2 very solid choices! Welcome to the forums!
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Welcome to the forum Mitch, you started out with a couple great knives. Now hold on to your wallet, this can be very addictive! :twisted:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Welcome Mitchel. I’m glad you liked the knives you received. Listen to Jeff. He’s been banned to the basement couch for buying too many knives.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:44 pm Welcome Mitchel. I’m glad you liked the knives you received. Listen to Jeff. He’s been banned to the basement couch for buying too many knives.
I think he's been sleeping in the bed of the truck, outside in the weather. Sleeping in the basement would be a luxury right now. Getting that truck emptied his knife buying account. :lol:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

Mitch188 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:02 pm Hi All New Member

Having used Enso,miyabi and Wustoff I decided to try some of Marks Jknives
Bought a Goko 150 Petty and was very impressed with the OOB sharpness but hit it with a 3K Shapton and strop and was blown away with how sharp it got.
Today I received a Kurosaki Fujin AS. F&F is awesome and OOB sharpness is scary. How I known how nice the Kuro was in person I might have bought his petty also.
The Kuro AS was a birthday present to myself 8-)
Very happy with the selection and service from CKTGO.
Mitchell
Welcome Mitch! You've begun with a great choice and already thinking of another, you'll fit right in here my friend!!! Enjoy!Take a look at Kurosaki's older brother Makoto. He also makes amazing blades like this one!https://www.chefknivestogo.com/masatsgy21.html. There are gems everywhere on this site. Beware of the addiction, as soon as you receive your purchase you're already looking for your next one!
BTW, that great service is spearheaded by Mark's better half, the one and only MZ. Susan Brown! 8-) Without her it wouldn't be CKTG!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Aloha Mitch. Welcome to the rabbit hole. You really made a great start into this fascinating world. Those are two outstanding knives! :mrgreen:
Mitch188

Post by Mitch188 »

Thanks all
The Kurosaki Fujin AS looks much better in person than the pictures..Really cool looking knife.
I’m glad I sent Mark an email asking wether he preferred the Fujin over the Makoto AS, he said they both cut equally well but the Fujin was more aesthetic . 8-)
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

Great choice on the knife! I just bought the last Fujin AS santoku listed on CKTG as a birthday gift for my brother and damn that thing is gorgeous. It's getting wrapped up tonight and stored until I get to see him this fall. I totally agree that the pictures don't do it justice.
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

You'd better wrap that bad boy and put it away playingfetch or it'll end up on yur cutting board and in your hand! Pick me up! Cut with me! Can';t you hear it calling you? Glad to hear how well your 2 knives are working out. Kurosaki is all you have to say about his knife and that Goko is beatiful, I love the grain on that handle, the f&f is cool. Let us know how they perform as you go. Again, welcome to the club Mitchell!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
playingfetch

Post by playingfetch »

The knife is gift wrapped and put away. But I did take some pictures first in case people want a close up look of what the Fujin pattern looks like. It's spectacular.

Pictures are attaching again to the forum so here are a few that I took. Mitch, I'd love to see some of your knife too.
Attachments
18.jpg
15.jpg
17.jpg
16.jpg
Kuwabara white #2 tall petty 115 mm
Anryu AS petty 150 mm
Yu Kurosaki Raijin Gyuto 210 mm with custom olivewood handle
Tojiro ITK bread knife 270 mm
Morakniv Masur steak knives 120 mm
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

Congratz! There is a lot to explore in the world of Jknives
Mitch188

Post by Mitch188 »

My Fujin looks exactly like yours. Down the rabbit hole we go.
Ordered the Anryu B2 Hammered 240 on Friday 4-16,was quite surprised that it came Monday 4-19.
Beautiful knife, f+f was excellent but my god the sharpness OOB was ridiculous. Noticeably sharper than the Fujin or Goko. I did the tomato test, just rested the blade on a ripe tomato and along the whole length of the blade it cut right in with no down pressure ,then tried with an apple and it went right through. I have a Carter neck knife that is not as sharp as this Gyuto. I'd say it 's a 8/10. Really impressed with this knife {almost pulled the trigger on the Kuro AS last week} glad I waited for the Anyru. :lol: :lol:
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I have to say congrats on the knives you've selected. Good choices all.

Anryu knives are exceptional performers and I'm a sucker for tsuchime finished knives. Unfortunately, for many, Anryu knives have, like many others, become hard to come by so you're fortunate to get the one you found.

Enjoy the coming fun of trying different knives. It seems like the more you know, the more you want to try other knives.