Wok suggestions?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Chappychap

Re: Wok suggestions?

Post by Chappychap »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:45 pm
7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:28 pm "In the Grace Young Breath of a Wok book there is a lot on the history and handling of the two styles--Pow, and rabbit ear."

It's a wonderful cookbook but good night Irene the print is sooooo small. My tired old eyes have fits reading it ;) I wish Grace would publish a video series of everything she talks about in the book....sign me up 👍🏻
Young did a class for Craftsy a few years and several changes of ownership back. It’s still available. She also has some vids on her website.

https://www.craftsy.com/class/the-art-of-stir-frying/

Might be able to get a one-year subscription for $3.

https://go.craftsy.com/C26204/?nabc=0&S ... 853969F63B
Yeah I just got that, exactly as you suggested. The course is good, designed for all levels and there's something in there for everyone. I've been impressed with the other notable authors on Craftsy too; Elizabeth Andoh, Rick Bayless, Diane Kennedy, Guillermo Hazan, Peter Reinhardt to name a few. Well worth the $3.
LaVieestBelle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:22 pm I just got an email notification late last night that mine were shipping. Yours should be soon.
Also extremely excited to see that LaVie was absolutely right... I'll be wok'ing with you lot soon!
6F112EA5-9D43-42A9-9D42-04BC85F031F2.jpeg
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

jbart65 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:14 pm Nice story, Jeff.
Funny thing is, I’ve got $2,000 plus worth of All Clad pans, but I use my wok, my Lodge cast iron and my Matfer carbon pan for 90% of my cooking!
Yeah, I love my all clad collection but the more I've got into cooking the more I find myself picking other materials more frequently too. Unless I want fond, or I'm boiling something, or cooking something very acidic, I'm finding that there's almost always a more compelling option than stainless that I could choose. This thread is already making me plot a carbon steel skillet down the line.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

In case anyone is still in the market for a wok, this just came back in stock. I haven't tried it personally but I heard good things about it in various foodie magazine reviews.

https://madeincookware.com/products/blu ... -steel-wok
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Well, I got tired of waiting for my Wok Shop order, who knows when it will show up, so I bought from MamaFong, as suggested above. Actually they were on sale. Bought a flat bottom and a round bottom, as I plan on setting up one of the Thai charcoal stove outside this summer, so the round bottom one there. We'll see how it all goes. The WebstaurantStore place has many Town woks, fairly cheap I noticed.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

Chappychap wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:26 pm In case anyone is still in the market for a wok, this just came back in stock. I haven't tried it personally but I heard good things about it in various foodie magazine reviews.

I like the look of that Made In stuff, but it sure is pricy... $99 for a small wok? Ouch.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

JASinIL2006 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:58 pm
Chappychap wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:26 pm In case anyone is still in the market for a wok, this just came back in stock. I haven't tried it personally but I heard good things about it in various foodie magazine reviews.

I like the look of that Made In stuff, but it sure is pricy... $99 for a small wok? Ouch.
I bought one and do not like it very much. Not only is it a bit undersized but it's also quite heavy, so it isn't particularly responsive. And there's an odd, incongruous lip at its outer/upper edge which I find annoying and often in the way.

I wish a pass-around were practical but with an item this large, that would be tough, especially right now.

Edit to add: I have other pieces by Made In that I really like but the wok was a clear outlier for me.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:10 pm

I bought one and do not like it very much. Not only is it a bit undersized but it's also quite heavy, so it isn't particularly responsive. And there's an odd, incongruous lip at its outer/upper edge which I find annoying and often in the way.

I wish a pass-around were practical but with an item this large, that would be tough, especially right now.

Edit to add: I have other pieces by Made In that I really like but the wok was a clear outlier for me.
Great insight, Ronnie. At that price you expect more thoughtful design. Glad I didn't buy this a couple of weeks ago - sounds like it would have been a disappointment. Thanks for jumping in here to save others from buying, I hadn't realised these things when posting.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I looked at that one too. Had questions about the thickness that have now been answered.

The hunt continues.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

Their stainless clad cookware looks really nice. I would love a few pieces of that.
ronnie_suburban

JASinIL2006 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:25 pm
ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:10 pm Edit to add: I have other pieces by Made In that I really like but the wok was a clear outlier for me.
Their stainless clad cookware looks really nice. I would love a few pieces of that.
I really like the stainless clad saucepans I have from them. And the small copper saucepan is also a keeper. I also have a couple quarter-sheet baking pans that are perfect for the toaster oven and a very well-made carbon steel frying pan. The one thing they all have in common is that they're all quite substantial. And I get the feeling that's where things may have gone off the rails with the wok. In trying to maintain that high standard, they produced a very well made wok that isn't necessarily built to do what woks do best. If anything, it's an error of abundance (and not cheaping out) but it still leaves the wok in the 'not optimally usable' category.

Another thing that can be circumvented is their everyday pricing, which can be high. They do run sales fairly often, so I'd sign up for their emails and wait for a 10-15% discount offer to come in. I just ordered a piece and by doing nothing more than signing in, carting it and waiting (about 10 days), I got it for 10% off. At that point, I received an email informing me that my cart was set to expire but that if I checked out that day, a 10% discount would be applied.
=R=
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I thought that lip looked odd and would probably be annoying when Iooked at it before. My thoughts confirmed.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Jeff B wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:35 pmI thought that lip looked odd and would probably be annoying when Iooked at it before. My thoughts confirmed.
You have deep thoughts. :) And I agree. From the pictures, it looked odd for a wok.
Last edited by XexoX on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Deep thoughts?....me?.... :lol:
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

I very much like my saute pan from Made-In. Cooks beautifully, as good as my Demeyre Saucier. My youngest will likely be moving out by the end of the year so I'll gift her my Cuisinart multi clads and buy Made-in for replacements. Inexpensive....nope....good....yup 👍🏻 I've never owned any All-Clad but I'd by more than happy to live out my days with Made-In pots/pans.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

JBart65....it's 2 AM and I'm still watching Craftsy vidoes 😲 Thank you for the link...Grace Young and I are now besties :)
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I don't own any Made In pans, so I cannot compare, but my All-Clad sauciers are exquisite. Fairly substantial (heavy), heat very evenly, an the handles are quite comfortable. It's hard for me to imagine how they could be better.

Even my inexpensive Tramontina 10" stainless fry pan is pretty hard to beat. The handle could be a bit better, but otherwise, it does everything I ask of it...

I would like to get my hands on a piece or two of Made In cookware. They look quite nice, even if they are a bit pricy.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

A well-made wok should be light, nimble, responsive and able to contain ... multitudes.

It's not a fancy tool and it definitely doesn't need to be expensive. Simple but good woks have been made for centuries. That "Made In" wok is too small, too heavy and too expensive.

Sometimes trying to reinvent the wheel produces something that doesn't roll. I know we like fancy, new shiny objects, me included, but sometimes a T-shirt and pair of jeans will do. (-:
Jeffry B
ronnie_suburban

jbart65 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 am That "Made In" wok is too small, too heavy and too expensive.
For reference, my Chinatown-sourced carbon steel wok is 16" x 5.5", weighs 1812g and cost no more than $15 (purchased too long ago to remember exactly how much and probably more today). The Made In wok is 12".5 x 3.5", weighs 2012g and sells for $99. Again, I really like all my other Made In pieces but their wok is a missed bet.
=R=
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:22 pm Oh this is too funny--I now do not feel so bad! Are we wok twins?

I just got an email notification late last night that mine were shipping. Yours should be soon.
Delivery from Newquist today. What a beauty! My first foray into round bottom stir frying and I couldn't be more blown away. Was egg fried rice and a simple stir fry to test it out as I had to work late. Just a freewheeling collection of oyster mushrooms, bok choy, garlic and ginger, with shaoxing wine, sesame oil, chilli and couple different soy sauces. Was so fun to use. And the best thing - I didn't think about the crappy work day once whilst using this thing.

Does this truly do anything different to any of the other great wok choices folks have made here? Of course not. But for me this was a special purchase to really encourage myself to be drawn into the kitchen as frequently as possible, by having something that just pulls me in to some of my favourite cuisines. By that measure, total success.

Hope you're enjoying yours too!
4142B7C4-BAFC-4A48-8868-34C04E4F5A53.jpeg
ED480CB6-2B3E-4B44-9A28-AABA6E3D8AE9.jpeg
35700987-0590-45F3-A930-F38D7860C90C.jpeg
ronnie_suburban

Chappychap wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 pm Delivery from Newquist today. What a beauty!
Mine arrived too and I agree. It's a stunner. I don't think I'll be able to test drive it until the end of the week but I can't wait to let 'er rip.
Chappychap wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 pm My first foray into round bottom stir frying and I couldn't be more blown away. Was egg fried rice and a simple stir fry to test it out as I had to work late. Just a freewheeling collection of oyster mushrooms, bok choy, garlic and ginger, with shaoxing wine, sesame oil, chilli and couple different soy sauces. Was so fun to use. And the best thing - I didn't think about the crappy work day once whilst using this thing.
Outstanding. Really great looking dish and even better that the cooking was able to transport you. No matter how good (or bad) the food is, that's often the best part. :)
=R=