Wok suggestions?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
XexoX

Re: Wok suggestions?

Post by XexoX »

gladius wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:51 am
XexoX wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:06 am Just saw this this easy, at least it looks easy, gas range hack from Kenji for wok cooking. He says it doesn't work on all gas ranges, so YMMV.
—-
Good to know. My range works!
I’ll have to stir fry next chance I get.
Wonderful. Let us know how it goes.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

XexoX wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:06 am Just saw this this easy, at least it looks easy, gas range hack from Kenji for wok cooking. He says it doesn't work on all gas ranges, so YMMV.
Whoa! How have I not seen that before? I’m gonna go try it on my stove....
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:43 am
gladius wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:51 am
—-
Good to know. My range works!
I’ll have to stir fry next chance I get.
Here it is, 12:34 AM and I'm trying this hack :) Unfortunately, my cheapie stove blows out at about medium high gastitude. I'll just have to continue running full snort with the diffuser.
Might blow out at medium but at it's highest point before it blows out might be more BTU's than when on high with the diffuser on.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

I have an infrared thermometer. In the name of science (and just plain fun), I'll time how long it takes to get my wok to the smoking point (which is usually 450-460 degrees) as well as side wall temps with and w/o diffuser.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Glad I have open burners, with flames in the center AND edges, that reach 23,000 btu without any hacks! (-:
Jeffry B
7x57mm@gmail.com

I am jealous JB65, not gonna lie. I think my stove has the equivalent of 23 Bick lighter units :)
7x57mm@gmail.com

OK, here are the results of my laboratory controlled scientific wok heating tests :)

The wok was thoroughly wiped dry prior to each test (and seasoned afterwards). With diffuser: the bottom of the wok reached 450 degrees in 2:57 seconds running the gas full snort. The four "sides" if you will, ran a low of 351 to a high of 424 (I didn't move the wok during either test). The wok was left to cool to room temp and it was thoroughly wiped dry prior to the second test. Sans diffuser, the bottom of the wok reached 450 degrees (roughly at a medium high heat setting before it would blow out) in 2:05 seconds and the sides ran a low of 293 and a high of 411. Stupid me, I didn't prep stir fry ingredients to use afterwards 🤦🏿‍♂️
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Well, this WokMon thing-a-ma-jig really caught my attention as far as fire-focusing and heat-buildup is concerned for my yet future wok. I do find his invention somewhat overpriced for what it is, and
and while wife did say "just buy it Dan," I am convinced
that I can make it myself :lol:
Check out the heat comparison tests here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RRo8EdT2_9
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

He sure is proud of that "WokMon" nothing more than a jerry rigged wok ring. $80-90...NOT!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

Late to the thread, but interesting. I have a 23-25k btu burners (capital culinarian) but find the flame pattern less than ideal for a wok. The hole pattern has 2 outter ring rows with flames pointing out and only 1 inner angled in. I actually sent a message to capital that they should offer a wok burner cap to go with the wok grate, idea would be change the cap shape slightly and hole pattern. Zero response so may have to give it a try myself (have most of the equipment to make it but may be easier to have a larger shop make a few blanks).
Guessing there would be some market for it as well.
Paul
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

XexoX wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:46 pm Chappy Chap, did you do a search for woks here? I did a while back and someone bought one from Japan. Can't remember the user name, or the brand name, but they really liked the wok.

Another user here bought one from the wok shop, a thicker one. You might want to read about woks at the Wok Shop. There are shallow and deep ones, hand hammered, spun, and cast.

Searching the web I find US, China, Japan, and Thai made. Well, at least ones sold in Thai shops. I saw Cantonese, Mandarin, and Peking woks at webstaurantstore.com.in different sizes. Searched for Ray's, but could only find burner kits to use the wok on.

Also fun, do you want a flat bottom one, or a round bottom one? Carbon steel or cast iron? I've even seen a brass one from Thailand. Oh, Nordicware has an aluminium one.

Good luck hunting and let us know what you decide on.
Well it took me until 3 weeks short of 60 to do it but I finally bought my first wok. It only cost about $50. for the 3 pcs. carbon steel for the wok, not the base of the cover. Very happy with the Town site and its offerings. So many to choose from, thank you AdamPT for the link and for everyone's comments. The wife and I both liked the carbon steel the best. Any cookbooks or recipes out there to offer so I can start dishing up something new over here!! Thanks again, I followed you again Mauichef, don't throw huge dollars at it, just quality construction and materials, you're the best!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

FisherMAn1298 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 pm ...Any cookbooks or recipes out there to offer so I can start dishing up something new over here!! ...
Grace Young has some cookbooks, and J. Kenji López-Alt is publishing a wok cookbook this year. At least he said that on one of his YouTube videos I watched yesterday. Fuchsia Dunlop has a few books out, but some of them that are OOP are ridiculous in price. Best of luck!
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

XexoX wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm
FisherMAn1298 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 pm ...Any cookbooks or recipes out there to offer so I can start dishing up something new over here!! ...
Grace Young has some cookbooks, and J. Kenji López-Alt is publishing a wok cookbook this year. At least he said that on one of his YouTube videos I watched yesterday. Fuchsia Dunlop has a few books out, but some of them that are OOP are ridiculous in price. Best of luck!
Didn't know about Kenji, that's cool. And btw there's a price tracker site called ereaderIQ that is great for Kindle versions - plug in your authors to track and it emails you when they drop in price. Believe it or not it's pretty standard for most Kindle books to be reduced to $1.99 for a day or two a year. Just got to spot them when they do! Still waiting for Fuscia's books. But I got the Food Lab for just a few dollars.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Chappychap wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:49 pm
XexoX wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:34 pm
Didn't know about Kenji, that's cool. And btw there's a price tracker site called ereaderIQ that is great for Kindle versions - plug in your authors to track and it emails you when they drop in price. Believe it or not it's pretty standard for most Kindle books to be reduced to $1.99 for a day or two a year. Just got to spot them when they do! Still waiting for Fuscia's books. But I got the Food Lab for just a few dollars.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm old school. I want the book. I can remember where on a page I read something. Not the page number, but I can usually find things by looking at a particular area of the page. Of course, I'm running out of shelf space!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Hi guys and FisherMAn1298
I just moved the Shapton stone question to a new thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15194
Aloha!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Had to cook some Chinese food after all this wok talk........ :D

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

mauichef wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:32 pm Had to cook some Chinese food after all this wok talk........ :D
What were the dishes? Look great.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

From L to R
Chicken with Young Ginger and Mushrooms
Fried Spicy Tofu With Mini Peppers and Thai Chilis
Stir Fried Shrimp and Sweet Tomatoes
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

As an aside I think this thread has altered the way I look at any gas-related things forever. I have to replace my tankless water heater and every time I see this 199,000 it makes me dream of wok'ing with that much BTU :lol:
445E5F19-F7B5-46FB-8833-0A1767044947.jpeg
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

So,
I finally got my shipment from the wokshop. This is a POW (stamped) carbon wok, 14", and with no other wok to compare to I can honestly say this one is really great. It's refreshing to be able to saute again, after about three years of primarily using the CS DeBuyer skillet.

Seasoning was easy peazy;

soafter 'bluing' the pan with fire and salt, a littlefolded kitchen paper with a few drops of avocado oil spread thin did the trick for the first layer, as well as the second, third, and so fourth 😋
Attachments
IMG_20210128_131010847.jpg
IMG-20210126-WA0034.jpg
IMG_20210127_084442917.jpg
IMG_20210128_131003208.jpg
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld