Talk me into a Mert Tansu

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Fender400

Talk me into a Mert Tansu

Post by Fender400 »

Okay...title says it all.

Aside from a cool name and sexy lookin' knives...convince me I just made a good purchase.

Thanks! ;)
XexoX

Re: Talk me into a Mert Tansu

Post by XexoX »

Fender400 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:43 pm Okay...title says it all.

Aside from a cool name and sexy lookin' knives...convince me I just made a good purchase.

Thanks! ;)
Did you want it? Will you like it more than having the money it cost in your pocket? If yes, then you made a good purchase.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

He is highly regarded as a top maker.
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

Of course I want it, and I rarely carry $500 in my pocket ;)

How is the performance? I haven't seen much discussion of them here; that said, 52100 isn't a new steel so it should be a good performer at worst.

That said...positive confirmation is always beneficial for junkies ;)
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

From your question I am assuming you have already bought it...so why are you seeking affirmation if you have it in hand?
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

mauichef wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm From your question I am assuming you have already bought it...so why are you seeking affirmation if you have it in hand?
Because I have not been able to handle one in person.

Literally just paid for it because I trust CKTG, but haven't seen any feed back on the forums here and was hoping to get some feed back while I wait for it to arrive.
Last edited by Fender400 on Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Fender400 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:04 pm
mauichef wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:00 pm From your question I am assuming you have already bought it...so why are you seeking affirmation if you have it in hand?
Did you pay already, but do not yet have the knife?
What's the situation?

What other knives do you have?
Hey, he's got a really cool name, man ;)
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:17 pm
Fender400 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:04 pm
Did you pay already, but do not yet have the knife?
What's the situation?

What other knives do you have?
Hey, he's got a really cool name, man ;)
Yup! Paid cuz I've been eye balling his knives (love me some 52100 with a high HT) but haven't ever seen or touched one.

Home cook. These are for personal enjoyment. I like good heat treats (I enjoy Spyderco and Busse Knives...and love the Busse cutters, they have fantastic heat treating).

I've got two Gihei (amazing! B2 petty and 240 gyuto), two Ishikawa (honesuki and funyaki), a few Kohetsu (2 B2 gyuto's, a HAP40 petty and a bunka), a tojiro, Makato (sp?) in w2, a Kanehiro Bullnose butcher knofe, and two Masakagi's (gyuto and a honesuki).

The Kohetsu's and Gihei's are my daily users.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I bought my first about 6 months ago and it is consistently in my rotation. With smaller makers it is hard to state how they will all perform as each is different. In general it seems his knives are workhorse at the top (meaning thicker spine) to a very thin edge. He adds a good distal taper from the midpoint to tip that makes his chef knives really an all round performer. His attention to detail is very evident as his grinds have no high/low spots.

He works with a variety of steels and I have never heard complaints about HT.

Overall, I would not hesitate to purchase again if the opportunity was right.
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:01 pm I bought my first about 6 months ago and it is consistently in my rotation. With smaller makers it is hard to state how they will all perform as each is different. In general it seems his knives are workhorse at the top (meaning thicker spine) to a very thin edge. He adds a good distal taper from the midpoint to tip that makes his chef knives really an all round performer. His attention to detail is very evident as his grinds have no high/low spots.

He works with a variety of steels and I have never heard complaints about HT.

Overall, I would not hesitate to purchase again if the opportunity was right.
That is great to hear, thank you for the feedback!
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

BTW...congrats on snagging it. I don't think you will be disappointed :D
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

I had a couple HV knives in the shop recently. They felt substantial, but the tip and the edge were very, very thin. Like Kalaeb stated, the grind was flawless. The only thing that could have been improved upon was the hand finish, but I bet with a Tansu branded knife, that's flawless, too. He seems to favor a more full sized profile, like a Watanabe, so one must favor that.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Congrats on the purchase! I've wondered about his knives, too. I hope you write a short review after you receive it and use it for a while!
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

salemj wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:13 pm Congrats on the purchase! I've wondered about his knives, too. I hope you write a short review after you receive it and use it for a while!
I'm a long time lurker too!
Spoke to him about a couple of knives but never pulled the trigger. If you are quick they can be bought from his site. Beautiful aesthetics and finish.
Yes Fender, we would love to impressions please.
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

mauichef wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:09 pm BTW...congrats on snagging it. I don't think you will be disappointed :D
Thank you! I'm excited to get it in hand :)
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

Nochop! wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm I had a couple HV knives in the shop recently. They felt substantial, but the tip and the edge were very, very thin. Like Kalaeb stated, the grind was flawless. The only thing that could have been improved upon was the hand finish, but I bet with a Tansu branded knife, that's flawless, too. He seems to favor a more full sized profile, like a Watanabe, so one must favor that.
This is my first high(er) end knife so I have no experience with a Watanabe, but your description sounds like what I've been looking for!

When you say hand finishing, are you referring to wet sanding of the blade road? Or the gluing, rounding of edges, etc?

Thank you!