Fun to watch cooking shows you can actually learn from

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Bob Z

Re: Fun to watch cooking shows you can actually learn from

Post by Bob Z »

Lol I had Italians on one side and greeks on the other, it was interesting the smells that came out. Also interesting were the arguments and yelling that I couldnt understand one word of, maybe for the better.
The greek thing never took but i sure went for the italian food.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Milk Street
Cooks Country/Illustrated
Mexico: One Plate At a Time - Rick Bayless

We really enjoy these.......Masterclass with Gordon Ramsay, Thomas Keller, Dominique Ansel, Gabriela Cámara, Massimo Bottura, Wolfgang Puck, Yotam Ottolenghi, Aaron Franklin. Top notch stuff.

Used to watch some shows on the Cooking and Food channels but they are all pretty much contests and people eating food around the world/country.
Very disappointing how they became all entertainment and sales and little education. The current crop of teaching shows just don't do it for me.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

mauichef wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:51 pm Milk Street

We really enjoy these.......Masterclass with Gordon Ramsay, Thomas Keller, Dominique Ansel, Gabriela Cámara, Massimo Bottura, Wolfgang Puck, Yotam Ottolenghi, Aaron Franklin. Top notch stuff.

Used to watch some shows on the Cooking and Food channels but they are all pretty much contests and people eating food around the world/country.
Very disappointing how they became all entertainment and sales and little education. The current crop of teaching shows just don't do it for me.
You've got me very curious on Masterclass. Are the food classes worth the money vs. say, just going on YouTube?
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

When I was young (a long time ago), "Great Chefs" was my bible. It would follow a single chef each episode, taking the viewers A-Z on their signature dish within their commercial kitchen. I was enamored with the series. It is why I am a chef today.

I looked for the series and could only find it on the Great Chefs website going for an insane amount (hundreds per collection).

Wish they would revive this. Covered technique, and explained the science unlike anything on television today.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Nochop! wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:34 am When I was young (a long time ago), "Great Chefs" was my bible. It would follow a single chef each episode, taking the viewers A-Z on their signature dish within their commercial kitchen. I was enamored with the series. It is why I am a chef today.

I looked for the series and could only find it on the Great Chefs website going for an insane amount (hundreds per collection).

Wish they would revive this. Covered technique, and explained the science unlike anything on television today.
These series are all available on Amazon prime. We've been systematically rewatching them all in succession over the past few months . . . West, East, Chicago, New Orleans, New York, Hawaii, Great Cities, etc. Not all the material holds up so well and the production values are lousy by today's standards but they're still a lot of fun.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

The Food Network was partly responsible for us starting Chefknivestogo. First, we sold our bricks and mortar futon store in 2000. Then, we got bored with all the time we had on our hands. Sue and I started watching the Food Network back when they had real pro cooks on TV. Then she went to cooking school at our local community college, which piqued my interest in doing knives as a business.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:20 pm The Food Network was partly responsible for us starting Chefknivestogo. First, we sold our bricks and mortar futon store in 2000. Then, we got bored with all the time we had on our hands. Sue and I started watching the Food Network back when they had real pro cooks on TV. Then she went to cooking school at our local community college, which piqued my interest in doing knives as a business.
Back in those days, Food Network was a genuine force. So narrow and such a trove of salient information. Some of those personalities and programs were as good as it ever got in the way of food television. For example, I remember watching Bakers Dozen and being blown away by the featured bakers (Flo Braker, Alice Medrich, Gale Gand, Marcel Desaulniers, Marion Cunningham, Nick Malgieri, etc.) and the level of instruction they provided.

I have a lot of respect for Emeril but they beat him like a rented mule in their quest to capture a broader, more general audience. Iirc, there was a point when his programs were pretty much all they showed in prime time. Bam! That was the beginning of the end of Food Network for me. But I get it. Cable channels are intended to reach the largest audiences possible.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Ok Chappy, I hate u for that list of youtube shows. I stayed up til about 3AM watching the chinese cooking demystified with Chef John playing his CCK like a fiddle. If there were ever doubts about a cleaver doing it all and some things i never thought of, this was the channel. Of course if I had a wok cooking station like him I could prolly make some masterpieces from time to time.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Bob Z wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:07 pm Of course if I had a wok cooking station like him I could prolly make some masterpieces from time to time.
I think you found your own answer here my friend... outdoor wok station like Kenji Lopez maybe? :lol:
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Lol, hes got two pots to pour oil and water stuff in, foot pedal with a million btu, nah never happen. I do have a camp stove tho...
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Figured this thread can morph into a place where people part links to whatever is inspiring them, if they want to.

After reading the book 'Washoku' to learn a bit more about the fundamentals of Japanese cuisine, I'm digging a bit deeper via some documentaries. Less about step by step instructions, but more to find inspiration and observe people applying the fundamentals. I found some good ones here for anyone interested:

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/film/best ... ocumentary

An interesting tidbit that left an impression on me today, from the episode of Chef's Table in the above:

"The philosophy of kaiseki is that we're supposed to represent the area you're living in, taking what's most close to us and making the best of what the season has to offer" Niki Nakayama
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Also for anyone interested Masterclass have a pretty sweet BOGOF offer on until Nov 30th - I just tried it with a friend who was interested. Content seems solid so far.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Chappychap wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:28 pm
mauichef wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:51 pm Milk Street

You've got me very curious on Masterclass. Are the food classes worth the money vs. say, just going on YouTube?

Looks like you took the bait🎣

I also availed myself of the 2 for 1 deal. Split it with my brother. At that price I think it is a solid deal for a full year. Lots of good cooking content. Not sure if we will continue after this year is up especially at the full price. There is so much stuff that is of no interest at all. Even if I would like to play guitar like Carlos Santana...can’t see it happening 😜
They do add other chefs but seemingly only 2 or 3 a year. But so far have really enjoyed it.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Couldn't agree more, on all points, including Carlos Santana.

Watching the Thomas Keller right now. Seems solid so far.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Chappychap wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:56 pm Couldn't agree more, on all points, including Carlos Santana.

Watching the Thomas Keller right now. Seems solid so far.
Yes Keller is great. We loved Gabriela Cámara too.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

Chappychap wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:47 am Figured this thread can morph into a place where people part links to whatever is inspiring them, if they want to.

After reading the book 'Washoku' to learn a bit more about the fundamentals of Japanese cuisine, I'm digging a bit deeper via some documentaries. Less about step by step instructions, but more to find inspiration and observe people applying the fundamentals. I found some good ones here for anyone interested:

An interesting tidbit that left an impression on me today, from the episode of Chef's Table in the above:

"The philosophy of kaiseki is that we're supposed to represent the area you're living in, taking what's most close to us and making the best of what the season has to offer" Niki Nakayama
If you liked Washoku you might want to sign up for the author's monthly newsletter.

https://tasteofculture.com/

Elizabeth Andoh gives regular Japanese cooking classes in Japan (they stopped for a little while because of COVID) and her monthly newsletter is a nice little read, usually focusing on something very seasonal. I spent a little time in Japan and fell in love with the food.... If I ever made it back I'd love to take a class with her.

Anyway, I thought you might like her monthly newsletter.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Actually I have been doing less TV shows lately, I get my training in person 8-)

Lee Anne Wong gave me and five of my buddies some lessons on making dumplings last month!
TV...who needs it :lol:

My first efforts......

XexoX

Post by XexoX »

mauichef wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:04 pm Actually I have been doing less TV shows lately, I get my training in person 8-)

Lee Anne Wong gave me and five of my buddies some lessons on making dumplings last month!
TV...who needs it :lol:
Another great idea for your B&B cooking classes! Bring in the local talent for a day class. If they can do this with tour groups going to France, there is no reason you can't do it with a group going to Hawaii!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

LaVieestBelle wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:12 pm
Chappychap wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:47 am Figured this thread can morph into a place where people part links to whatever is inspiring them, if they want to.

If you liked Washoku you might want to sign up for the author's monthly newsletter.

https://tasteofculture.com/

Elizabeth Andoh gives regular Japanese cooking classes in Japan (they stopped for a little while because of COVID) and her monthly newsletter is a nice little read, usually focusing on something very seasonal. I spent a little time in Japan and fell in love with the food.... If I ever made it back I'd love to take a class with her.

Anyway, I thought you might like her monthly newsletter.
Mind = blown re: that site you shared. Thanks for the tip.

That's awesome on the classes, too.
Airik

Post by Airik »

Joshua Weissman on YouTube is not only informative, but also hilarious