Fun to watch cooking shows you can actually learn from

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Chappychap

Fun to watch cooking shows you can actually learn from

Post by Chappychap »

Hi folks,

Curious on others' findings on cooking shows. I'm looking for ones I can actually learn and be inspired from; ones that are less about drama, sob stories and shouting, and more about technique and creativity. What are some of peoples' favourites in this category?

Some of mine to get the ball rolling:
- Salt, Acid, Fat, Heat
- MasterChef Professionals UK (just found this morning)
- The Chef Show
- Great British Bake Off
- America's Test Kitchen

I do follow a vast selection on YouTube (happy to share if anyone's interested), but I'm starting to want a break from that format and watch actual shows again.

Would love to know any others that folks rate. Need to get my inspiration going again this weekend...

Cc
Last edited by Chappychap on Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
gladius

Re: Cooking shows you can actually learn from

Post by gladius »

There are a variety broadcast on public televisions CreateTV <<.

https://createtv.com/hosts/food
Last edited by gladius on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polytope

Re: Fun to watch cooking shows you can actually learn from

Post by polytope »

KQED put the entire run of Pepin's "More fast food my way" on their YouTube channel.

He of course has great knife skills, but the real treat is seeing how calm he is while knocking out a 3+ course meal mostly in real time and in-camera.
bruin

Post by bruin »

I really like Mind of a Chef from PBS/Anthony Bourdain. It’s mostly biographical but every episode contains cooking show-like segments also.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Look on your PBS station on saturday mornings. The shows rotate but currently on mine is ATK, Cooks Country (same guys as atk but different show), Milk Street (Chris Kimball who started ATK now does a bit of traveling and brings back some worldly stuff to make). After that is some guy in new orleans, Patty's mexican kitchen, Sometimes Joan weir and older Julia Child shows and Ciao Italy. They used to have martha bakes and Martha cooks which were decent.
The shows on the cooking channel Sometimes have a show you can learn from, like my favorite was brunch at Bobby's but I would also watch alton brown in good eats and good eats rewind on lately. Your local pbs will probably be different.
unclemike

Post by unclemike »

I like the old school Bobby Flay (Chillin and Grillin), Rick Bayless, Pati’s Mexican Kitchen, Sara Moulton. He’s kind of kitschy but I like the old Emeril shows too. Fire Masters on Cooking Channel is a competition, but they do show some of the process too. A lot of the new competition format shows are garbage.
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I enjoyed “my greatest dishes” on amazon and all of the “chefs table” series on Netflix. Kenji Lopez alt and Proto cooks are fun to watch on YouTube.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Not much to add to the excellent comments above. I have enjoyed watching Aron Franklin of Franklin bbq early on in his PBS show.
michael1778

Post by michael1778 »

Great thread. Thanks, everyone!!
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Yes my playlists are now stocked up - than you everyone and hope this sharing was useful for others too!
JoseMartinLopez

Post by JoseMartinLopez »

I actually reviewed old Julia Child episodes on YouTube. She takes the time to discuss a topic in 30 minutes instead of what would be a 5 minute YouTube video today. You pick up a few details if you are particularly interested in the episode's topic.
"I will buy this." -- famous Asian saying. // https://www.instagram.com/kytchenknyfen00b
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

On the lighter side of educational content, and a little cheesy, but enjoying 'Midnight Diner' on Netflix tonight. Each episode has a really chill story where a dish is part of the theme, and then they give you a few pointers on making it at the end. Helps with the inspiration to get to know some down to earth Japanese dishes. The second episode is tempting me to get one of those little boxes to shave my own bonito flakes...
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I just found Buon-A-Petitti on YouTube, the Italian Grandma cooks.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

XexoX wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:06 am I just found Buon-A-Petitti on YouTube, the Italian Grandma cooks.
Thanks for the tip, that sounds right up my street. When it comes to pasta, I am an aspiring Italian nonna.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Chappychap wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm
XexoX wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:06 am I just found Buon-A-Petitti on YouTube, the Italian Grandma cooks.
Thanks for the tip, that sounds right up my street. When it comes to pasta, I am an aspiring Italian nonna.
Welcome. She cooks. Don't expect great productions. And she uses the tools she's used her whole life and doesn't want new things. And she uses her hands a lot to mix things. Kinda fun. I'm sure if you were in the kitchen with her, she'd use a wooden spoon on your knuckles when you did something wrong.
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
Afjagjones

Post by Afjagjones »

I know it's not a tv show, but I like "Food Wishes" on youtube. His lopsided cadence and subtle humor is great.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Chappychap wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:00 pm Thanks for the tip, that sounds right up my street. When it comes to pasta, I am an aspiring Italian nonna.
---
If it's an aspiring Nonna you want to be...

Check out Mary Ann Esposito Ciao Italia, America's Longest-Running Cooking Show all thirty seasons

...and don't forget the Nonna hair doo for the complete experience! ;)

They do have fun on the show too (drinkin' double Vodka Martini's)...

https://youtu.be/APhUp7YTzfA

Last edited by gladius on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Wow she has lots of stuff but kinda hard to understand, you have to pay attention. But when she strarted singing I had to laugh!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bob Z wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:10 pm
Wow she has lots of stuff but kinda hard to understand, you have to pay attention. But when she strarted singing I had to laugh!
Yeah, if you speak Italian you might have a better chance of understanding her, since she slips into Italian a bit.

Her pizza fritta reminded me of my dad, not Italian at all. When he first married mom, he kept asking her to make him fritters. Everything she tried wasn't it. Finally, one day they were at grandma's when she was making bread, and dad asked his mom to show my mom how to make fritters, so grandma took some dough that was rising and fried it. My mom yelled at dad, "Why didn't you tell me you wanted fried bread dough!" Long before I, or my siblings were born; about 68 years ago. Love that story. Makes me wonder if someone used to live next door to some Italians.