Folding knife sources

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Pat Y

Folding knife sources

Post by Pat Y »

My daughter is looking to buy her husband a nice folding knife for daily carry and asked me where to buy. Can any of you be kind enough to pass along your sources for a good selection of quality folders?
By the way, I introduced them to Japanese kitchen knives this past summer and they are hooked. I've had hints that a second knife would look great next to their Anryu Santoku! :D
taz575

Re: Folding knife sources

Post by taz575 »

DLT trading has a great selection and great customer service, much like CKTG. Knivesshipfree is awesome as well, too. Knifecenter has a pretty good selection.

Benchmade Bugout is my current fave EDC; very slim, under 2 oz weight, rides low in the pocket, 3.25" blade in S30V. Great knife! Benchmade makes stuff at the $100+ level typically. Kershaw makes nice stuff for under $100. Buck has the 110 series in 5160 carbon and S30v for around $100 if that is within their budget. Spyderco is another brand of my go to folders, lightweight, strong. Cold Steel is nice and makes more tactical looking knives. Tons of variety out there!
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Knives ship free and Blade HQ are also a couple of other great sources. And there are some smaller places like white mountain that have great deals on some lines of knives.

The bug-out is a great choice but there are so many options and some parameters such as price, and whatever other criteria you could throw out there would help.

Civivi, the budget brand of We knives, is an excellent option. Their first knife, the baklash, is one of my favorites and a much newer one, the elementum, is a little smaller and more unassuming and both come in around fifty bucks. Both of those are hollow ground, and slice beautifully. The baklash is more aggressive but still a relatively lightweight easy carry.

What's happening to me with Japanese knives has already happened to me with folders so I've got a bunch and I pay a lot of attention to that universe and I'm sure I'm not alone so good luck on the hunt and if you can narrow it down some some of us can add suggestions. You certainly couldn't go wrong with a bug out, and there are several newer really interesting iterations. Everything taz mentions I agree are knives/brands really worth considering.

Yeah give us some more details.
David
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

This is on my Christmas wish list for my family to get me.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/okfoko.html
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Just to corroborate much of what's been posted already, I've had favorable experiences with:

BladeHQ
Knife Center
Knives Ship Free
White Mountain Knives (10% discount codes are often available)
Knife Works
GP Knives
DLT Trading

Of these, I think BladeHQ has the biggest selection but all of them have some exclusives and/or brands that are not universally carried. Most of the places ship free for orders over $99 and run occasional specials where shipping is free on any sized order.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Pat Y

Post by Pat Y »

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. I'll pass along the information. As far as details, she said something under 200.00 but that is about it. I'm sure she can find something at one of the posted places.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

It depends on what kind of knife you are looking for. Those are all good retailers, but their weakness is traditional knives.
Deadwood Knives is the best place for that.
Pat Y

Post by Pat Y »

Ourorboros wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:07 pm It depends on what kind of knife you are looking for. Those are all good retailers, but their weakness is traditional knives.
Deadwood Knives is the best place for that.
The only knife I've seen him carry was a no name black tactical style folder. So I'm ASSUMING she is going to look for something along those lines. Then again you know what happens when we assume anything. I know he uses it at work to open boxes etc. and whatever other uses come along.
Pat Y

Post by Pat Y »

A Benchmade Bugout it is. My daughter got it ordered this morning. Thanks everyone.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Nice.

Her husband is going to love it. Why not start with something good.
David
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Pat Y wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:43 pm A Benchmade Bugout it is. My daughter got it ordered this morning. Thanks everyone.
d_rap wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:30 pm Nice.

Her husband is going to love it. Why not start with something good.
Agreed. Good call. Just can't go wrong with that one, I think. And not that he'll necessarily need either but the lifetime sharpening and lifetime warranty are great features, too.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.