Need help: No-Drill Magnetic Bar

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
KevinWood44

Need help: No-Drill Magnetic Bar

Post by KevinWood44 »

I just moved and there is no place to hang a magnetic knife bar that can drill into the wall, the kitchen is wall to wall tile, which is very nice BUT my current knife bar drills into wall. I am NOT putting my knives in a draw so I need a solution.

Does anyone have this issue? Can anyone recommend a magnetic knife holder that is "no-drill?"

Thanks for you help!!
enjay

Re: Need help: No-Drill Magnetic Bar

Post by enjay »

If you have space on the side of your fridge then you can use this:

The magnet is strong enough to support itself and the knives. Plus the silicone layer prevents scratching of the blade.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

What about using 3M command strips to hang the rack?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

They make carbide bits to drill through tile for you to put anchors. Done it many times to hang shower doors in peoples bathrooms. If you drill where there are studs you don't need anchors.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

I use these for hanging bathroom fixtures.
https://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/one-pi ... -saws.aspx
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

At one of my last restaurants space was a premium. We utilized these on the side of the prep table. You may be able to adhere this to the side of a cabinet instead of hanging a rack. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-slot ... KR699.html
salemj

Post by salemj »

Kalaeb wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:56 pm At one of my last restaurants space was a premium. We utilized these on the side of the prep table. You may be able to adhere this to the side of a cabinet instead of hanging a rack. https://www.webstaurantstore.com/8-slot ... KR699.html
Wow. Never seen these before (not a professional). Really like the simplicity and flexibility of the design. I'll have to keep these in mind for future applications.
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
KevinWood44

Post by KevinWood44 »

All good ideas thank you

I can't drill holes unfortunately - I saw some nice blocks but I really prefer the bar if possible. I think it looks better, takes up less counter space and if you are going to spend a lot of money on knives why not show them off =)

Thanks for the suggestions
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Can you mount the bars to the cabinet doors?
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

You could try a high quality silicone like
Dow Corning 795. Make sure the tile is clean and dry and the 795 adheres to the back of your magnetic bar.
KevinWood44

Post by KevinWood44 »

Wjhunt wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:27 pm You could try a high quality silicone like
Dow Corning 795. Make sure the tile is clean and dry and the 795 adheres to the back of your magnetic bar.
That's interesting. And when I move out the silicon can be removed from the tile right? Some alcohol, or goo gone will take it off right??
KevinWood44

Post by KevinWood44 »

XexoX wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 pm Can you mount the bars to the cabinet doors?
I/m technically not supposed to drill any holes in anything, however, I'm installing a bar under the cabinets to hang pots (but those holes will be on the under side of the cabinet, I doubt anyone will notice. And I will fill them before I move. I guess as long as the holes are not obvious I could do it.

Do you have image to show me what you mean?
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

KevinWood44 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:27 pm
XexoX wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 pm Can you mount the bars to the cabinet doors?
I/m technically not supposed to drill any holes in anything, however, I'm installing a bar under the cabinets to hang pots (but those holes will be on the under side of the cabinet, I doubt anyone will notice. And I will fill them before I move. I guess as long as the holes are not obvious I could do it.

Do you have image to show me what you mean?
Sorry, but no I don't. Just something I've been thinking of in my own kitchen, as my wall space, is almost non-existent.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

Silicone will come off most tile just fine but try to avoid getting it on the grout I would not go crazy with the 795 because that could make it very difficult to get off when you move again.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Drill holes in the grout joints of the tile and fill them with caulk or grout when you move and no one will ever know. ;)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.