What's That? A Passaround?!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
e.chou

What's That? A Passaround?!

Post by e.chou »

Hi CKTG!

I wrote up a long post apologizing for being flaky on the forums recently (I've been dealing with a lot of new health issues and getting used to a demanding new job), expressing my gratitude for the forum, and trying to drum up some excitement for a passaround. Then, my brain shut down, and I accidentally refreshed the page, losing everything... So rather than rewriting everything, it's time for the passaround speed round.

TL;DR
a) I apologize for being unresponsive and am hereby declaring PM bankruptcy. Please forgive me :oops:
b) Sounds like lots of people want to do a passaround - let's do one! It's a crazy world, so let's have some fun and drum up some reviews / business for Mark and Sue!
c) I picked up a Makoto lightsaber. I like his old knives; this one looks cool.
d) I've never run a passaround before, so please bear with me (and please feel welcome to give me feedback!)

Brisket was meh but makes for a pretty picture!

Ok, to the fun part - rules!

1. 5-10 people, $10 "deposit" each (if this is allowed. Mods / Mark please weigh in given rule 8)
2. 200+ posts (if we've worked together before, let's talk)
3. US only (for the non-CONUS individuals who get overlooked if you're willing to pay the extra shipping costs :D )
4. Everyone pays their own shipping and insurance ($200), except as stated above
5. For experienced sharpeners, you are welcome to do some sharpening if you can provide some feedback on sharpening characteristics
6. Try to write a review - online or on the forum
7. Pics are welcome :D
8. At the end of the passaround, if any participant wants to buy the knife, I'll sell it for $150 with proceeds to be donated to a charity of Mark and Sue's choice (I haven't asked Mark, but I hope this is ok!). If there are multiple takers, uh, Thunderdome? Just kidding - we'll draw randomly. :lol: Otherwise, I'm happy to keep it :)

For full disclosure, if it is sold, I will also donate the $10 participation "deposit" with the final amount. If no one wants to buy it, I'll still donate the "deposit" amount but I'll keep the knife. So either way, charity!

That's it for now. I anticipate edits as the mods weigh in. If this is also the wrong forum, please feel free to move as appropriate. Stay safe all!
Altadan

Re: What's That? A Passaround?!

Post by Altadan »

Is that a..... smoked brisket? :P :P :P

Oh, good on ya, mate!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
e.chou

Post by e.chou »

Is there any other kind? ;) Haha, I've lived in Austin for almost a decade now so I think I'm contractually obligated to say that lest they take away my Texas residency :lol:

I know you've been wanting to do a passaround, Altadan, so if there's space I'm happy to make an exception for you if you are interested at all.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Messssssssssssssssssssssssssssquite
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
e.chou

Post by e.chou »

Mesquite is pretty awesome. I know Aaron Franklin uses post oak but there's something about mesquite... 8-) I still ship some out every so often to my friend who moved to California who refuses to use anything else :D
Paul282

Post by Paul282 »

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews!
e.chou

Post by e.chou »

Seems like there's not a whole lot of love for Makoto this time around... If this doesn't get much traction, then I'll go ahead and withdraw this :?

Just to get some feedback, is there something I could have done better here? I wanted to do something fun since things are kind of a bummer for me right now and thought others might want to play with something new, but it looks like I missed the mark. I know the world is kinda crazy right now, so I totally get it if people are just too busy at the moment.

Or is it just that there's not a lot of interest in this knife? (Like if this was a Kono Sumiro, or my new Dalman cleaver, would there be a line out the door or something?) Or is it the cost (which I'd be happy to get rid of honestly if that's what's holding people back)? Or is Covid just looming such that people are worried about shipping and sharing stuff such that a longer timeframe for usage would help (e.g. one week to let any viruses die + one week to test for 2 weeks total per person)? Or maybe everyone is just on a knife buying binge recently and no one has time? :lol:

Just curious.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

e.chou wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:48 pm Seems like there's not a whole lot of love for Makoto this time around... If this doesn't get much traction, then I'll go ahead and withdraw this :?

Just to get some feedback, is there something I could have done better here? I wanted to do something fun since things are kind of a bummer for me right now and thought others might want to play with something new, but it looks like I missed the mark. I know the world is kinda crazy right now, so I totally get it if people are just too busy at the moment.

Or is it just that there's not a lot of interest in this knife? (Like if this was a Kono Sumiro, or my new Dalman cleaver, would there be a line out the door or something?) Or is it the cost (which I'd be happy to get rid of honestly if that's what's holding people back)? Or is Covid just looming such that people are worried about shipping and sharing stuff such that a longer timeframe for usage would help (e.g. one week to let any viruses die + one week to test for 2 weeks total per person)? Or maybe everyone is just on a knife buying binge recently and no one has time? :lol:

Just curious.
I've never participated in a passaround here. And now that I've surpassed 200 posts, I'd definitely like to give it a whirl but I already own this knife, so it won't be this time for me. Thank you, though, for trying to put this together. Hopefully, it gains some traction.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I think your rules are fine Ethan, I love the charity side of it! You might try lowering the post count a little and see if you get more bites. I didn't join simply because I'm kinda of in a "knife burnout" phase. I've bought or used a lot of knives this year and need a break for the excitement for "something new" to build again.
And the Kono Sumiro, there would be a line out the door... ;) :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Yeah, I don't think there is anything wrong with your rules. I've just been working alot and not really using my knifes that much. Got quite a few that are new or newish, and I just don't feel like trying to force in enough time with a knife to write a review. The Makato you got looks sweet! Sorry to hear about your health issues man :( .
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I am interested but I have to admit, dealing with a loaner by mail, then shipping it does sound like some added stress just now given all that is going on.

If you start getting some traction I may still jump on. Don't be discouraged, we need folks doing things like this to give the form life. Thanks for making the effort.