Konosuke "New" FM

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
friz00

Re: Konosuke "New" FM

Post by friz00 »

I kick myself in the nuts for not jumping on the White#1 when it was available. And, I own the Blue#2.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

friz00 wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:14 pm I kick myself in the nuts for not jumping on the White#1 when it was available. And, I own the Blue#2.
See that is a level of commitment that non knife people are just never going to understand.😁

Yeah gotta hope we're going to see more of those.
David
Renvers

Post by Renvers »

Altadan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:39 pm
salemj wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:42 am Thanks for this. It makes me feel better about the speculations in my previous posts. At this point, I'm most curious to hear comparisons between the "new" FMs that are tall and Toyamas. My sense is that, despite seeming similar in a number of ways, the Konos may be much thinner at and behind the edge, and therefor require a defter touch, but I've love to hear whether this is true or not. I've been tempted by Toyamas as seemingly tough but tall, thin blades with tall grinds. If the new FMs are similarly ground, that provides a much cheaper and more accessible option.
What an interesting thought.
I've never owned a Toyama, but as you mention it, I think I had one on loan from Ashy2Classy... :roll:
How can I best describe it? The 240 felt like an Airbus A380 - gigantic, graceful, heavy, powerful, yet precise, and for a body that offered plenty to hold on to, so to speak, it slipped ever so easily through... everything iirc.
I'm really speculating, but I can *hardly* imagine these tall FM's either as hefty or as heavy-feeling as a Toyama.

Ah, also, what I had was a B#2 stainless clad (again, iirc).
Late for this party but having both the new FM and a Toyama can confirm you’re not speculating but giving a good analogy. The Toyama is still a beast in comparison, very different feel.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Renvers wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:28 pm
Altadan wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:39 pm
salemj wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:42 am Thanks for this. It makes me feel better about the speculations in my previous posts. At this point, I'm most curious to hear comparisons between the "new" FMs that are tall and Toyamas. My sense is that, despite seeming similar in a number of ways, the Konos may be much thinner at and behind the edge, and therefor require a defter touch, but I've love to hear whether this is true or not. I've been tempted by Toyamas as seemingly tough but tall, thin blades with tall grinds. If the new FMs are similarly ground, that provides a much cheaper and more accessible option.
What an interesting thought.
I've never owned a Toyama, but as you mention it, I think I had one on loan from Ashy2Classy... :roll:
How can I best describe it? The 240 felt like an Airbus A380 - gigantic, graceful, heavy, powerful, yet precise, and for a body that offered plenty to hold on to, so to speak, it slipped ever so easily through... everything iirc.
I'm really speculating, but I can *hardly* imagine these tall FM's either as hefty or as heavy-feeling as a Toyama.

Ah, also, what I had was a B#2 stainless clad (again, iirc).
Late for this party but having both the new FM and a Toyama can confirm you’re not speculating but giving a good analogy. The Toyama is still a beast in comparison, very different feel.
Can you give us the specs on your new FM, and for us to be sure, it is a Blue?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Renvers

Post by Renvers »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:44 pm Can you give us the specs on your new FM, and for us to be sure, it is a Blue?
Interesting thing on that... when I got the knife and went back to the CKTG 210 FM Blue 2 ebony listing to compare specs I realized I got the model knife used in their pics. The wood grain gave it away, so those are the choil and profile shots of my knife. Here is a pic of it on my tablet open to the listing.
1C29B598-CFA1-4F73-9231-C11EDAAC88AE.jpeg
Hopefully nobody else recognizes it as theirs too or we’ll need to add mass machine production as another difference between the new and old Fuji :lol:

I can’t find my digital caliber but with ruler the specs on site are right, so close I think they were taken from this knife too. The height at heel was a bit short of the 51mm on the listing but over 50.5, so that’s just rounding. Same for weight and length. Balance point slightly blade forward for my pinch grip, very slight.
Attachments
9BCF2B4D-0535-4844-BE16-D8C07C25348D.jpeg
Miles

Post by Miles »

So i bought mine a few weeks ago (w1 240) and was a bit hesitant to put it to the board. I'm pretty new to this game (home cook) and was pretty excited to get in on it. November last year was my first purchase- the Makoto Ryusei 210 based on reading the forums. Things started slowly, a bunka here, petty there, BST, BST, BST... but have ramped up quickly. My set is over 20. I blame quarantine. I digress, the fuji, it was boxed. Yes, open it up, take it out and look the reflections. Put it back. Rubberband. I had been reading this thread and just decided- you didn't buy this to only look at. So tonight... small test run. Zucchini and brussels sprouts. The Zucchini offers little resistance. This pup is a sports car that's looking to be driven. Brussels sprouts... so innocent, halved almost as quickly as i put them down. I gaze at the gentle wobble of semi spheres hitting the board. I stare at the Fujiyama and think- this is an incredible cutting device. I now understand. It's not hype. Wipe, wipe, dry, dry, fade to black.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Miles wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:06 pm So i bought mine a few weeks ago (w1 240) and was a bit hesitant to put it to the board. I'm pretty new to this game (home cook) and was pretty excited to get in on it. November last year was my first purchase- the Makoto Ryusei 210 based on reading the forums. Things started slowly, a bunka here, petty there, BST, BST, BST... but have ramped up quickly. My set is over 20. I blame quarantine. I digress, the fuji, it was boxed. Yes, open it up, take it out and look the reflections. Put it back. Rubberband. I had been reading this thread and just decided- you didn't buy this to only look at. So tonight... small test run. Zucchini and brussels sprouts. The Zucchini offers little resistance. This pup is a sports car that's looking to be driven. Brussels sprouts... so innocent, halved almost as quickly as i put them down. I gaze at the gentle wobble of semi spheres hitting the board. I stare at the Fujiyama and think- this is an incredible cutting device. I now understand. It's not hype. Wipe, wipe, dry, dry, fade to black.
Here we go a little action! Although I admit being a hypocrite, since mine still sitting NIB in the drawer.
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

My white came in at 178 grams and a little bit over 51.5 mm height at the heel.
Miles

Post by Miles »

That's one of the taller W1 right?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Miles wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:32 pm That's one of the taller W1 right?
It might be. It was pushing 52.
LaVieestBelle

Post by LaVieestBelle »

I think it is one of the taller ones. My white was only 49.2.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

My W1 is 50.5.

Pushing 52 has got to be around the limit. 10 g heavier than some others too.

You get that thing on the board I bet it's going to be awesome. All that thin with something a bit extra behind it...
David
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

d_rap wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:09 pm My W1 is 50.5.

Pushing 52 has got to be around the limit. 10 g heavier than some others too.

You get that thing on the board I bet it's going to be awesome. All that thin with something a bit extra behind it...
Nah, I haven't gotten it on the board yet.
Miles

Post by Miles »

It looks like we can revive this thread. I’m dreaming in blue. What’s a 255 Fujiyama is that a 270? I read that there are 270s coming soo...
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

The last time around the 255 GT was a Funiyuki profile but the edge length, like all other Konos, ran short and came in around 245mm.

Last edited by Jeff B on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

It does look like the 270s that Mark has coming are going to be thicker, more like the unusual 240 this thread was focused on. Possibly more workhorse than past 270s?
David
cliff

Post by cliff »

Looks like it, if the specs on that page are current
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

cliff wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:12 pm Looks like it, if the specs on that page are current
Specs get updated when the item arrives. I believe those specs are for the last ones that came. Not to say these wont be similar. Also...the true extra thick 240 Blue FM's were not production knives, they were actually Kaiju's that did not meet specs and were pulled and finished as regular FM's.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

mauichef wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:56 pm
cliff wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:12 pm Looks like it, if the specs on that page are current
Specs get updated when the item arrives. I believe those specs are for the last ones that came. Not to say these wont be similar. Also...the true extra thick 240 Blue FM's were not production knives, they were actually Kaiju's that did not meet specs and were pulled and finished as regular FM's.
Yes, I remember, there was a good discussion about this issue in October when Omega reviewed his Kaiju, and Ray you made this point then if I recall. I have one of these odd-batch Blue 2s, and I have been intrigued ever since the Kaiju came out. I have been calling mine "Kaiju lite" for fun. It's funny to think of this knife as one that didn't make it as a Kaiju because I can hardly imagine a better knife. Flat spots? Not that I can detect. Of course, like most of us, I still want a Kaiju, partially just to see how (if?) a knife could really be that much better in comparison to these one-off B2s. (I also just want a Kaiju for the obvious reasons.)

Anyhow, Kosuke does seem to be moving in the direction of making some heftier knives for us in general, and I guess I'm just hoping these coming 270s fall into that general category. Your frequent recommendation of this 270 Ray has certainly helped convince me to pull the trigger.
David
Miles

Post by Miles »

d_rap wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 pm I have one of these odd-batch Blue 2s, and I have been intrigued ever since the Kaiju came out. I have been calling mine "Kaiju lite" for fun.
We should talk about getting rid of that odd-batch. You deserve more than "lite". I think we can work something out. ;)