Heiji Nakiri(?) Help Needed: What is this thing for?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
GyutoGyutoGyuto

Heiji Nakiri(?) Help Needed: What is this thing for?

Post by GyutoGyutoGyuto »

I bought this Heiji from Japan Tool (Australia) in 2017. It was marketed as a 180mm semi-stainless nakiri, and says that on the bottom of the box. Measures 173mm, with a height at the choil of 53mm. I've never formed a bond with this knife, as it doesn't do what I was hoping it would do -- cut up a wide range of vegetables (because: nakiri). I've taken it to play in other playgrounds, but it just stares blankly at everything (or pouts), especially when prodded. Admittedly, it's quite likely that my knife knowledge and skills are not at a level to fully appreciate this knife.

It's a Heiji though, right? That's supposed to mean a lot, from what I understand. I'm assuming it's a well-crafted knife and is the way it is on purpose, for reasons I cannot fathom.

Cutting up an onion with this thing, let alone a carrot, is not satisfying, either for me or the vegetables.

It's *really* thick behind the edge, all the way down, even with the distal taper on the spine.

It was reasonably sharp OOTB (at least by my non-expert reckoning).

So before long it was back in the box for a time-out in the cupboard -- that lasted a couple of years. Just pulled it out recently and it struck me that maybe it's not really a nakiri -- maybe it's a nakiri-esque bunka. Or something else?

Please help me figure this thing out.
  • What's its purpose?
  • Why is it so thick all the way down to just before the edge? Very little taper and then a chunky angle to the edge. (I'm assuming this is related to its purpose, whatever that is.)
  • Would it be crazy to send this to someone skilled in the ways of thinning to grind it into something I might actually be able to use? If so, recommendations?
Thanks!

~j

Last edited by GyutoGyutoGyuto on Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GyutoGyutoGyuto

Re: Heiji Nakiri(?) Help Needed: What is this thing for?

GyutoGyutoGyuto

gladius

Post by gladius »

It is a Nakiri - Heiji makes thick knives.

Interested in selling?
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Interesting! So far from searching Google it I cant find a similar knife so far. Most Nakiri have a forward swept end of the spine or some perpendicular, this one appears just like this bunka from Takeda:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/taascl21bu.html
Just curious, how much does it weigh?
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

That does look thick. It would require quite a bit of work to really re-do the blade. If you can get a decent price for it, you can replace it with something else easily.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Wild. Kind of half nakiri half cleaver. Man that sucker looks thick. How heavy is it?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Looks like a poorly executed S grind. Takeda has a similar grind but not as thick and more of a recess behind the shoulders. I've never been a fan of this type of grind, don't care for Takeda's, but it is very popular with many. I've never really connected with nakiris either.

Having it thinned would improve its performance if you want to go that route. Personally I'd sell it and recoup most of what you have in it and look for something else you might be happier with that doesn't need an overhaul to get there.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Just noticed the swept profile. Forget what I said about 1/2 nakiri half cleaver. I don't know what to make of it.

It's interesting... I just don't know how it might be used. Processing fish maybe? Bones and all?

@Gladius.... ever seen a ktipped nakiri with a swept profile? Just curious on my part. You've seeen more than I....
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

It’s a fatty for sure.

Get a couple of Mark’s cheap diamond plates and spend your weekend grinding metal?
GyutoGyutoGyuto

Oh, interesting! I dug up the original order confirmation from Japan Tool and here's what it says:

1 x Heiji Custom SW Semi-stainless Bunka 170mm "Tsuchime Finish"

Bunka! Hmmmm... I distinctly remember it saying nakiri on the website when I bought it (and, of course, that's what it says on the box, though it's not written in Japanese).

Tried to find the original product page on the website via the waybackmachine internet archive, but no luck.
GyutoGyutoGyuto

Bob Z wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:18 pm ...this one appears just like this bunka from Takeda:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/taascl21bu.html
True, profile-wise there's a similarity:
https://images.yswcdn.com/-670987815153 ... nka-45.png

But...
https://images.yswcdn.com/-670987815153 ... 0mm-62.png
Bob Z wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:18 pm Just curious, how much does it weigh?
I'll find out in a couple of hours when I get access to a scale.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you mean! Yeah, even the grind of the Heiji, though so different in thickness to the Takeda, has a similar though more subtle S-grind. I missed that before.

Cheers,

~j
GyutoGyutoGyuto

Robstreperous wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:55 pm Wild. Kind of half nakiri half cleaver. Man that sucker looks thick. How heavy is it?
184.5 grams = 6.5 ounces. Relatively lightweight chestnut handle.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 pm Just noticed the swept profile. Forget what I said about 1/2 nakiri half cleaver. I don't know what to make of it.

It's interesting... I just don't know how it might be used. Processing fish maybe? Bones and all?

@Gladius.... ever seen a ktipped nakiri with a swept profile? Just curious on my part. You've seeen more than I....
---
It is a hybrid vegetable knife, call it a nakiri or bunka. I like the design and see it mostly as a nakiri with a slightly forward tip. It can perform double duty like many cleavers are used: thicker grind towards the back for chopping and a thinner grind forward for slicing vegetables. This hybrid design is similar to the Mazaki Santoku which has a semi-k-tip like a bunka.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Robstreperous wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:11 pm Just noticed the swept profile. Forget what I said about 1/2 nakiri half cleaver. I don't know what to make of it.

Rob,
Chris and I ktiped a nakiri and thinned it out. He did an amazing job on the grinds, this was one of his first serious overhauls. I can dig out the original post if you like. I have dreams of making blades like this.

Edit. I found the original post. Click the link to see before and after choil and profile photos. Sorry if this hijacks the thread. https://www.instagram.com/p/BepxbZ2nPwi ... 9mvokiy7d3
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Wow that’s a huge amount of thining. It looks great.
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

gladius wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:32 pm

---
It is a hybrid vegetable knife, call it a nakiri or bunka. I like the design and see it mostly as a nakiri with a slightly forward tip. It can perform double duty like many cleavers are used: thicker grind towards the back for chopping and a thinner grind forward for slicing vegetables. This hybrid design is similar to the Mazaki Santoku which has a semi-k-tip like a bunka.
Hey thanks. This is really interesting to me. You too @Ben. i’ve always had a thing for bunkas and lately I’ve become more and more interested in cleavers. Hmmm....
nakiriknaifuwaifu

Post by nakiriknaifuwaifu »

So....is this for sale yet? :P :P