Did USPS loose my knife?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
DicedZombies

Did USPS loose my knife?

Post by DicedZombies »

So it shipped on Dec 19th with a delivery date of today which would have been in time for Christmas.

As of now it says being delivered today (which is clearly not true), and simply reads "In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

It's been 4 days since a scan or update when it left Mark's place.

Any guesses if it's lost?
atang

Re: Did USPS loose my knife?

Post by atang »

Doubtful. But it does happen.
I had a package (not from cktg) saying it would be delivered late, (ordered on dec 10th) looking like Jan 24th since shipping was from China. It came on the 18th (8 days later). No update on tracking location, only notice of delay. Probably held up, and tracking was lagging. Happened to a few other amazon purchases in November too.

As long as it doesn’t update as “delivered” and you still don’t have it. I’ve seen packages “delivered” only to be at the wrong address. Good luck!!
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I had something similar happen and happily, my package arrived today. While it was in limbo, I contacted the CKTG Team and they could not have been more knowledgeable or helpful. They not only reached out to their local USPS rep on my behalf but they also advised me -- correctly so -- that at this time of year, because of how hectic things are, protocols are often broken by delivery companies. Because of that, messages, updates, etc. are not always accurate.

I sat tight for a couple of days and sure enough, the package arrived, even though it had been "lost" at the post office. Your package has been in transit a few days longer than mine was but my guess is that it will show up soon. Of course, if you wanted delivered it in time for Christmas, that might be in jeopardy. In any event, I'd suggest emailing the CKTG staff (info@chefknivestogo.com) and asking for their assistance. They will go above and beyond to help resolve the matter.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Bear007

Post by Bear007 »

I had one disappear last Friday, not CKTG, it came in yesterday, I think their ETAs are based on regular traffic, this time of year things get crazy. My recent CKTG order ended up arriving a day earlier than projected.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

As a general rule of thumb, don't expect anything ordered a few days before Christmas to arrive in normal fashion. USPS tracking is notorious for being non-informative if not all out wrong. Just a waiting game.
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

USPS has been on a roll lately. I had this happen as well. Same exact thing, ordered from CKTG, package said out for delivery, then got sent halfway across the state, came back into town days later, then ended up in the wrong depot. What a mess. Got delivered yesterday, thank goodness. I'm glad they showed up, but kept thinking "i'm glad these are inexpensive gift knives and not something special!". Closer towards christmas it is the worse it gets it seems.
nevrknow

Post by nevrknow »

It happens. Did it to me once also. We’re both on the same side of the continent and I think my box saw more states than I have! 😂

It will get to you.
DicedZombies

Post by DicedZombies »

Thanks guys. It suddenly arrived today. Looks like it landed 20 miles from my house and then USPS had it shipped through multiple other local hubs prior to making it to my local post office. They turned a 20 mile trip into a 100 mile trip. :)
atang

Post by atang »

That’s awesome!
Bluenoser87

Post by Bluenoser87 »

I shipped a knife to Sweden about a month ago. It arrived safely. The USPS tracking # still says it’s sitting in San Francisco customs
ken123

Post by ken123 »

During Christmas expect delays.

Ken
JoeWheels

Post by JoeWheels »

A good read is "Post Office" by Charles Bukowski.
That will explain a lot.
Vouston

Post by Vouston »

Bluenoser87 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:47 pm I shipped a knife to Sweden about a month ago. It arrived safely. The USPS tracking # still says it’s sitting in San Francisco customs

This drives me crazy. Do several box exchanges with my host dad in Germany each year and I have lost count how many times we are looking at or checking tracking and a box shows up randomnly or is gone missing. We just did Christmas gift exchange he got my box and his box has supposedly been sitting in Chicago or something, yet to still see it.
And to top it off, that's if it doesn't show up ripped open, rifled through by customs, and taped back together with chocolate missing. :x :x :x
Cheers to the postal system.
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Fully satisfied USPS customer here. I've never had a package go missing. Did one knife package sit around for an extra day or two somewhere? Sure. That's what insurance is for.

In general, I find the service to be very efficient and pretty darn reliable. I get it. Others might have less pleasant experiences and it would be a real shame if a mishandled piece of mail significantly impacted you or your family. But I'm guessing those with negative tales are the ones that come out in threads like this. Just adding my experience that everything is going pretty well - at least for this postal customer.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Vouston wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:50 am
Bluenoser87 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:47 pm I shipped a knife to Sweden about a month ago. It arrived safely. The USPS tracking # still says it’s sitting in San Francisco customs

This drives me crazy. Do several box exchanges with my host dad in Germany each year and I have lost count how many times we are looking at or checking tracking and a box shows up randomnly or is gone missing. We just did Christmas gift exchange he got my box and his box has supposedly been sitting in Chicago or something, yet to still see it.
And to top it off, that's if it doesn't show up ripped open, rifled through by customs, and taped back together with chocolate missing. :x :x :x
Cheers to the postal system.
Customs has nothing to do with the postal system, and they look at very little of what actually comes in to this country. Likewise, when it goes into a foreign customs broker, it is no longer in USPS hands. And most customs coming Ito the country is handled by brokers as well.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Many times when I ship international, the USPS tracking indicates delivered once it hits customs, and then most times, no further tracking info is available. USPS has never lost a package for me, and they are cheap, and have less paperwork to fill out (than USP/FedEx), but I have had several anxious occasions with them. To compound the anxiety, most of my customers only want to insure for a fraction of the value in order to reduce duty....so if there was an issue, we would not be able to claim for the full value. I find FedEx to be the most reliable and accurate regarding tracking, but many times they are 2x the cost of Postal.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Overall, for the price and efficiency, I think the USPS does a damn fine job. No system is perfect.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
DicedZombies

Post by DicedZombies »

Jeff B wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:39 pm Overall, for the price and efficiency, I think the USPS does a damn fine job. No system is perfect.
Considering they consistently operate at a loss which does not affect them like it would a normal business, they have archaic systems, are not affected by the normal rules of business and they have no idea how to properly manage a budget, I agree.
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

I’ve shipped and I’ve received hundreds of packages with USPS, not nearly as many as a business but quite a few none the less. I’ve had issues with a total of three packages state side. One was a custom firearm that was being shipped back to me, literally went from coast to coast and back again, the system showed it bouncing all over and it eventually made back to me. Another one was a two week delay, it was found behind a desk at my local PO where it had been knocked over, lucky to have found it at all. The last was a knife I just shipped a couple weeks ago, it was an expensive custom. I insured for 1500.00 and sent it priority. It was due to the gentleman that bought it on Christmas Eve. It didn’t make it and the system showed it at a neighboring PO. He drove there on the 26th and got no answers, long story short he persisted on his end and I inquired on my end, his efforts went beyond the local PO and the knife showed up today. The box had been opened and retaped and the knife was starting to show small amounts of rust. He had asked me to package it well and oil which I do out of habit anyways. We don’t know what happened, never will but I would venture a guess that somebody decided to take it, open it, played with it and then returned it when the heat started coming down. He was grateful to get it and was able to thwart any permanent damage. USPS does a pretty good job but there are weak links in every chain.
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
HectorFuego

Post by HectorFuego »

The question that no one has asked is, "Which knife did you get?"

Hector