Field cast iron skillets factory seconds sale

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
jacko9

Re: Field cast iron skillets factory seconds sale

Post by jacko9 »

I have all sizes of Field Skillets and my favorite is the #6. It used to be the #8 but with cooking for two (or sometimes just one) the #6 is ideal.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

I am replete with black/cast iron for my daily needs but if I was in the market for cast iron, Field would be it. I've followed/watched HOURS UPON HOURS of cast iron youtube videos for many years. Two of the best and most knowledgeable on cast iron, in my opinion, are Cowboy Kent Rollins and Jeff Rogers (the culinary fanatic). Both speak very highly of Field cast iron....21st century Griswold/Wagner Ware.

I suppose I'm fortunate in having a tiny kitchen....keeps me from buying things I'd love to have but have no room to store :)
bLoebs

Post by bLoebs »

Does anyone have both a Field and a Smithey cast iron pan? I only have a smithey cast iron pan and a lodge carbon steel which has a very weird embellishment on the top lip I can't seem to season out. No joke, I have two (accidentally) and both have the same mark. I'm interested in vintage but don't have the knowledge yet to truly go after it on the Internet which leaves me with endless desire to try out Field (missed the factory sale, maybe next year?)

Only issue is that unlike knives, it is getting harder to hide all the pans!
enjay

Post by enjay »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:41 am I am replete with black/cast iron for my daily needs but if I was in the market for cast iron, Field would be it. I've followed/watched HOURS UPON HOURS of cast iron youtube videos for many years. Two of the best and most knowledgeable on cast iron, in my opinion, are Cowboy Kent Rollins and Jeff Rogers (the culinary fanatic). Both speak very highly of Field cast iron....21st century Griswold/Wagner Ware.
I've corresponded with Jeff a few times back when I had Facebook. He is indeed quite knowledgeable and a nice guy to add.

And while I own my fair share of cast iron, for the prices that these boutique shops command I'd really recommend looking into copper or good stainless pieces instead. They almost always perform better and are definitely easier to maintain.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I inherited an old 10" Griswold from my wife's grandmother, and it is lighter and has a much smoother cooking surface compared to the modern pans (like Lodge) with their pebbly finish. What I like less about the Griswold is that the lighter weight means it has less mass, and and less heat retention than the newer, cheap heavy weight cast iron pans (e.g., Lodge, Wagner). In that regard, it functions more like my carbon steel pan. Even so, I prefer the Griswold over carbon steel because I think cast iron holds its seasoning better than carbon steel.

If I'm going to get a pan ripping hot to sear some steaks or burgers, though, I almost always find myself reaching for the heavier Lodge skillet.

All this is to say that I really don't think I could convince myself to shell out the top dollars that boutique cast iron pans command, nor would I pay $200 on Ebay for an old Griswold or Victor.
tomwbro

Post by tomwbro »

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know what the pricing on seconds is like? I'm not sure if I should wait for the seconds sale or buy used off Ebay. Thanks.
enjay

Post by enjay »

tomwbro wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:24 pm Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know what the pricing on seconds is like? I'm not sure if I should wait for the seconds sale or buy used off Ebay. Thanks.
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but will instead recommend that you look for a similarly priced high-end stainless pan (usu. European) or perhaps a little more for copper. Boutique cast iron brands like Field, Finex, Smithey, et al, present a compelling story and arguably improved aesthetics but their performance will ultimately be interchangeable with that of a Lodge. Quality stainless and copper, on the other hand, will in fact perform much better with little loss in aesthetics.
gladius

Post by gladius »

tomwbro wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:24 pm Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know what the pricing on seconds is like? I'm not sure if I should wait for the seconds sale or buy used off Ebay. Thanks.
—-
Check these out…
https://stargazercastiron.com/

20% off off first order
Discount code:
STARTCOOKING-3HCJQF2H
tomwbro

Post by tomwbro »

Thanks!
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

For the following seconds, I paid:
  • $110 for #10 in 2019
  • $150 for #12 in 2020
Everyone has their own $0.02 on cookware. I re-purchased and sized up so take that as a vote of confidence.

I may use my stainless All-Clad 6qt saute a bit more regularly, but that's probably because it has a tight-fitting lid and can go in the dishwasher. Anyway, it's pretty close. These are all quality pans.
PaulME

Post by PaulME »

So no idea if they publish when they have a seconds sale anymore, I’m on their mailing list and have not seen anything. However a quick Google takes you to their seconds page where you can get notified when available. So maybe they just send out an email when they have some minimum number. I put in for notifications on several (have a 10)
jacko9

Post by jacko9 »

Field also has a Facebook page for users of their skillets and the people from Field comment on that site. Most people that post pictures or comment on Field Seconds indicate that the flaws are very minor. Right now Field is giving away a #6 skillet (my favorite) with the #12 (my pizza skillet).
gladius

Post by gladius »

Miles

Post by Miles »

lids on sale too.