Fair price for a FM blue#2?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Mitch5

Fair price for a FM blue#2?

Post by Mitch5 »

This is not a for sale ad, sorry if I shouldn’t post this here. I am thinking about replacing my Konosuke FM with an Tetsujin. I was wondering what I would be able to get for my FM if I decided to sell it. It is a 210 blue#2 with a laural handle, condition is 9/10. What would a fair price be?
d_rap

Re: Fair price for a FM blue#2?

Post by d_rap »

Obviously prices can be a touchy subject and personal judgment that's hard to quantify is always at play.

It can be instructive however to share some of the thought process behind pricing.

So I will take a stab at it. I have two FMs and an FT by the way and love them. So let me think like a buyer...

They sell for $350, when they are in stock, which is usually for some hours every five or six months. So not rare but hardly a dime a dozen. I can be patient and have a pretty good shot at getting one brand new, Mark's warranty, etc. But there is the "right here right now" factor. And of course, the Kono factor.

So, BNIB, I'd say start at list and see if anyone wants one without waiting for it to come in to our favorite vendor and be willing to forego some of the bells and whistles that come along with an established vendor. 9/10, as you describe it, and details would help, probably start at $320-$330.

Also as I'm sure you know there is a post minimum in the classifieds.
David
Mitch5

Post by Mitch5 »

Thanks I just wanted to get a ballpark idea. I love the knife so much, I probably won’t be able to actually sell it anyway haha. And ya, I’m working on the post minimum, I have a few other knives I want to sell.
salemj

Post by salemj »

I like the above advice. For knives like these, if it is a recent purchase, people usually ask about what they paid assuming it hasn't been used and isn't currently in stock; if it has been used even once, there's often a small discount worked in, but not always. For some vintage versions, prices can go well above what people paid, but that is because they are no longer available (meaning that they were by a retired Fujiyama sharpener and not the current one).

Lots of people say let the market dictate it and price it as high as it will go, but I have to admit that this seems to produce a bit of bad karma, as back channels make it clear that none of the venders appreciate this at all, and it also causes people to start nagging vendors and offering way over asking to jump queues, etc., which seems worth avoiding, in my opinion. Furthermore, I can say from personal experience that some people try this to turn a profit and they are often the same people who end up changing their forum names and venues from time to time, which has its own implications. It is a smaller community that it might at first seem...
~Joe

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and own mostly Konosukes but have used over a dozen brands.
delmar

Post by delmar »

Salem speaks the truth. Knives shouldn't be a profit source. Gotta love the artiststry.