Baking Much?

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
Renvers

Re: Baking Much?

Post by Renvers »

taz575 wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:36 pm
Thanks! Wedding was great, but we had a few snags. We ran out of water in our well 30 minutes before we were supposed to start and then her brother didn't arrive until around 345pm, he was walking her down the aisle and his daughter was a flower girl. We were supposed to start at 3pm. Oops! But it went well despite the hiccups and everyone had a great time!
Congrats Taz! Hiccups par for course, makes great stories for later!

taz575

Post by taz575 »

Yeah, there were a few hiccups, but it went well otherwise and everyone had a great time. Way too much food, sucked throwing it away, but people were able to take stuff home and my and my parents brought the extra cake to our friends and neighbors. I have a piece of each frozen to enjoy throughout the year as well. I am going to bake a unicorn cake for my wifes Goddaughter later this month, which will be fun!

ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Took a first-ever swing at Pasteis De Nata and I'm going to give myself a C+ on the overall effort . . .

Pasteis De Nata

There are a few things I'd do differently next time but most of the recipes out there are very similar, so making changes is going to be more a matter of technique/method than anything else. Still, they were quite tasty. The pastry, which is supposed to be the harder part, turned out great. It was flaky and the lamination of the dough came through loud and clear. However, I think I over-reduced the custard just a bit, which led to the filling being a bit more dense than I wanted it. Also, I should have probably let them bake for another minute or two. These went ~14 minutes @ 550F but they could have been a bit darker. In the end, nothing was a failure but there were a few aspects that could have been better.
=R=

d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Those look absolutely delicious.

And it's good to be in the company of people who pay such close attention to the details and minutiae of cooking.
David

taz575

Post by taz575 »

KIMG1885.JPG
Wife and I went apple picking today, so I made a pie! Got a pumpkin too 😁

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ronnie_suburban wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:39 pm
Took a first-ever swing at Pasteis De Nata and I'm going to give myself a C+ on the overall effort . . .
Eh, give yourself a B- at least! :D
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Here is the Nutella filled challah
B26E2F4B-399D-4C0B-BC84-6F9707DD50DB.jpeg

XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Bensbites wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:57 pm
Here is the Nutella filled challah B26E2F4B-399D-4C0B-BC84-6F9707DD50DB.jpeg
Looks yummy Mr. Bites. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.

ronnie_suburban

Not really baking but not really cooking, either . . .

Apple Fritters
A solid effort, especially for a first try. They were crispy on the outside; tender and moist on the inside. And I managed to use up two entire honeycrisp apples in the process! But in all seriousness, they were really good. I'll definitely make them again.
=R=

XexoX

Post by XexoX »

ronnie_suburban wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:21 pm
Not really baking but not really cooking, either . . .

Apple Fritters
A solid effort, especially for a first try. They were crispy on the outside; tender and moist on the inside. And I managed to use up two entire honeycrisp apples in the process! But in all seriousness, they were really good. I'll definitely make them again.
A yeast dough? Like for cinnamon rolls? Or donuts?

They look really good!
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.

ronnie_suburban

XexoX wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:47 pm
A yeast dough? Like for cinnamon rolls? Or donuts?
It was actually a flour/egg/sugar batter with some baking powder and a bit of sparkling apple cider. They were pretty light in texture -- mainly a function of dialing in the right temp on the fry oil (aka luck) -- but I wonder how yeasting would have affected them.
=R=

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I'll take a dozen.... 8-)
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've baked bread now and then for years and did an OK job, but I finally decided to get serious after being disappointed with some of my pizza doughs. Read Baker's Apprentice after letting it sit on my shelf for years and a beginner's book by Josey Baker.

Poof. Just like that, the veil was lifted. I've been doing it, well, not wrong, but not right, for years.

Now it's become my new thing. Reading Forkish. Robertson and Lahey up next. Found The Perfect Loaf like others here.

Then I finally poked my head into this thread this morn. Wow. Impressive stuff!

Attached below are a sandwich loaf and French bread, the first of my creations as I finally gain an understanding of how to bake. Got a ways to go, though, to match some of what I see here!

Jeffry B

jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

Some questions for the more experienced bread bakers here:

*What pan/dutch oven are you using? I've got a pizza stone (ceramic and metal) and a 5 1/2 quart Le Crueset, but it's too big for most boules and I don't want to chance damage. Lodge cast iron multicooker? Something else?

*What kind of oven are you using? I have electric and gas, and I swear, the gas seemed to do a better job with my sandwich loaves than electric.

*Do you usually cook right from the fridge? Is it the best way for a dough to keep its shape before transferring to stone/dutch oven? Some of mine have flattened out, but not because of overproofing.

*Target internal temperature? I've left loaves in longer to get a darker crust, but can bread be overbaked? I aim for 205 but have let it go higher.

*Best bread knife? I have a double serrated Wusthof that I think is the best bread cutter available, but it's only 9 inches. I need a longer one.
Jeffry B

arthurfowler

Re: Baking Muc

Post by arthurfowler »

Jeffry, your bread looks great. Firstly there are far better bakers on here than me. I am a big fan of Ken Forkish and his overnight white and poolish white are superb. The overnight white works equally well with 80/15/5 of white, whole meal and rye respectively. I tend to only bake sourdough now at home. I used the basic Tartine recipe and then amended it slightly and I am really pleased with the results. I have found that as much as you can play around with the bulk and retarded proves, having a consistent temperature during each is key to consistent results. I use a copy Le Crueset pan and lid which delivers great results for boules. I have used a Pyrex casserole and lid set (upside down) for batards but I was tipped off br Ray that they have been known to explode - search online and you will see. I generally make 900g loaves and I bake them at 245c for 50 mins - 40 covered and 10 uncovered. I used to do 30 and 20 like KF but I find the crust gets too dark and as I eat most of mine toasted, the crust used to burn before the bread toasted in the toaster. Never checked the internal temp albeit I always check the dough temp. If not having toast or happy to use the grill to toast, 30m covered and 20m uncovered works really well for 900g loaves cooked in a Dutch oven or similar vessel. I do also pre heat the vessel for around 40 mins. Dough will always spread when you tip it on the counter, however the more strength you have in the dough, the less it will spread. I also now tip on to parchment and bake with the trimmed parchment remaining as it definitely aids the transfer of the dough to the cooking vessel. You will see earlier in this thread that I recently purchased a Gude bread sword. It is a very heavy knife, however now that I am used to it, I really like it!!! Hope this helps in some way.

Best

Gareth

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

jbart65 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:19 am

*What pan/dutch oven are you using? I've got a pizza stone (ceramic and metal) and a 5 1/2 quart Le Crueset, but it's too big for most boules and I don't want to chance damage. Lodge cast iron multicooker? Something else?
I have all sorts. Love the Lodge or Le Creuset combo cookers which are like a 3-4qt saucepan with a heavy duty lid that doubles as a skillet. The best thing about these is you can bake in them skillet side facing down (like a cloche), which makes it way easier and safer when it comes to lowering a screaming hot lid onto the dough just before baking. Also check out Breadtopia's own brand clay bakers - they're phenomenal value and deliver great results. If you're flush with cash or someone else wants to get you an amazing present ever, get a Challenge cast iron bread baker.
jbart65 wrote:
*What kind of oven are you using? I have electric and gas, and I swear, the gas seemed to do a better job with my sandwich loaves than electric.
I have only used gas so I can't compare I'm afraid. Try an oven thermometer if you think yours may be inaccurate.
jbart65 wrote:
*Do you usually cook right from the fridge? Is it the best way for a dough to keep its shape before transferring to stone/dutch oven? Some of mine have flattened out, but not because of overproofing.
Are you proofing in a banneton basket? Worth a try if not for easier and better defined shaping. Again Breadtopia do good ones for a fair price, along with cotton covers to make them easier to use in terms of sticking. Also I've had no major issue baking straight from fridge per se, although if it's looking under proofed I take it out of the fridge for a while so it proofs a little more.
jbart65 wrote:
*Target internal temperature? I've left loaves in longer to get a darker crust, but can bread be overbaked? I aim for 205 but have let it go higher.
Cook's Illustrated did some testing on this, I believe the finding was most of the time beyond 190 wasn't really necessary in terms of internal texture for enriched breads, 205 for leaner breads. However once I know it's hit at least that temperature in the middle, I've started to focus on waiting until the desired level of browning on the crust is visible.
jbart65 wrote:
*Best bread knife? I have a double serrated Wusthof that I think is the best bread cutter available, but it's only 9 inches. I need a longer one.
I love my Mercer Culinary Millennia. Cheap and effective. Mercer has some fantastic value beater knives. I'm sure it's possible to get a Mercedes of bread knives that puts this to shame but I'd rather spend that money on a gyuto or similar personally. FWIW on Mercer, when you factor in ease of sharpening I actually prefer my Mercer Renaissance beater to my Wusthoff Classic.

I second the recommendations on Ken Forkish/Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast book and Chad/Tartine.

Hope that all helps, Breadtopia have a great forum with some really friendly, community-minded people on it too.
Attachments
E5C9E9DF-9721-4082-B8F4-095478428719.jpeg

Chappychap

Post by Chappychap »

And tonight's cornbread in the combo cooker. Was based on The Guardian's cornbread recipe roundup. Was great with chilli.
Attachments
0EC23FEE-2165-4648-A7CE-06AB86BC677B.jpeg

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Weekend bake.

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

It got a really nice ear/hat!

mauichef

Post by mauichef »

jbart65 wrote:

I'm going to echo much of what chappychap has said....
Used a Le Cruiset to start. good results. Cumbersome and it was discoloring. I am in love with this new found hobby so i sprung for the Challenger and have never looked back. i pay over twice this amount for most of my knives so.... It is a thing of beauty and it just feels good. My bakes are on point every time. Its so easy to use and looks and feels cool!
jbart65 wrote:
Samsung electric with steam. Bur only use that for bagels and some other stuff. The Challenger is my pan and oven.
jbart65 wrote:
Always. I like scoring and its essential for that. Plus the ambient temp in our house is 85! I have my office air conditioned and that is my proofing room. It's hard getting it to 78! But it is also a real test of not over proofing. Much less latitude than temperate places. I use banetons with covers and white or brown rice flour depending on design. I have some big reusable plastic bags for covering while retarding and have a small dedicated fridge for that overnight operation.
jbart65 wrote:
I rarely do internal temp. I go by look and feel.
jbart65 wrote:
Ah! Now there is the question that has still not been answered at least for me. Need or want more than 9 inches and i want teeth! The Gude look good ! but big and heavy. Still looking.