Show us your knives!

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 11892
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Jeff B »

pgugger wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 am
I'm a home cook who accumulated enough knives lately that it's fair to say I have a collection. I thought I would share it here and update now and then as it evolves. A few years ago, I bought a Masamoto VG as my first Japanese knife, which I found impressive at the time and still use for rougher tasks. Eventually, I learned of even better knives, so i bought a Kurosaki AS and Masakage Koishi, which were far more impressive for both their performance and craftsmanship. Since then, I have been fascinated by trying different styles and makers, especially those with long traditions or interesting stories, but only recently did I really go all in on exploring. Now, I have a small collection, which I hope to expand and then focus over time.

IMG_0414.jpg

From left to right:
Kurosaki R2 Hammered 150 mm petty
Ishikawa W#2 165 mm nakiri
Yoshimune W#1 165 mm nakiri
Kurosaki AS 210 mm gyuto
Konosuke Fujiyama FM B#1 240 mm gyuto
Munetoshi W#2 240 mm gyuto
Masakage Koishi AS 240 mm gyuto
Konosuke HD2 240 mm gyuto
Toyama Noborikoi B#2 240 mm gyuto
Takeda NAS Medium gyuto
CCK 1303 cleaver
Moritaka AS 130 mm petty

Not shown: Masamoto VG 210 mm gyuto, Dexter 7" heavy-duty cleaver, and Victorinox bread, slicing, and paring knives

I also have a Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi 180 mm gyuto on the way.
Very nice collection!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

pgugger
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am
Location: Northeastern USA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by pgugger »

Jeff B wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:21 pm
Very nice collection!
Thanks! Now I am trying to decide what to keep or let go... so hard to let anything go even for the ones I don't use so much. What an expensive hobby, haha.

User avatar
Jeff B
Posts: 11892
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Jeff B »

pgugger wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:02 am
Jeff B wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:21 pm
Very nice collection!
Thanks! Now I am trying to decide what to keep or let go... so hard to let anything go even for the ones I don't use so much. What an expensive hobby, haha.
Which is exactly why I'm at 3 dozen or so knives and counting... :?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

pgugger
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am
Location: Northeastern USA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by pgugger »

Jeff B wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:57 pm
Which is exactly why I'm at 3 dozen or so knives and counting... :?
That sounds like my (near) future! I am currently eyeing 6 or 8 more knives...

User avatar
Drewski
Posts: 1190
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:01 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Wide and narrow convex grinds on Bark River knives

Post by Drewski »

ken123 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:41 pm
Wide and narrow convex grinds on Bark River knives

As many of you know I AM a fan of Bark River knives and impressed with the initial factory grinds on their knives. But I also like to experiment a bit. I reground this knife (Aurora 3v LT) with a much more acute and wider angle - still convex. I'm not particularly hard on my knives BUT I do want them extremely sharp. These are initial grinds and will be made much sharper :)\

So my question is - is this too acute of an edge angle for your use? It obviously drops through food etc, but it is not an edge I would use for bushcraft tasks. I'm interested in your thoughts on alternative grinds. Thanks for lookingI

aurora3vwidebevel1.jpg
aurora3vwidebevel2.jpg

---
Ken
Hey Ken, have you had a chance to test this alternative grind out? Any findings?

Robstreperous
Posts: 1889
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Long Island
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Robstreperous »

pgugger wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 pm
Jeff B wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:57 pm
Which is exactly why I'm at 3 dozen or so knives and counting... :?
That sounds like my (near) future! I am currently eyeing 6 or 8 more knives...

Yeppp... I decided to limit myself to no more than 2 new knives per year and sticking to it.

The way it's gone though I'm now bought out through 2033.

Carlo
Posts: 141
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:36 am
Location: NYC
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Carlo »

Robstreperous wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:58 am
pgugger wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 pm
Jeff B wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:57 pm
Which is exactly why I'm at 3 dozen or so knives and counting... :?
That sounds like my (near) future! I am currently eyeing 6 or 8 more knives...

Yeppp... I decided to limit myself to no more than 2 new knives per year and sticking to it.

The way it's gone though I'm now bought out through 2033.
:lol:
If you find yourself needing to thin the herd so you’re only adding 2 knives per year, Rob, I’ll gladly meet you for coffee and take delivery of a few.

User avatar
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin
Posts: 14388
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 44 times
Contact:

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

pgugger wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:07 am
I'm a home cook who accumulated enough knives lately that it's fair to say I have a collection. I thought I would share it here and update now and then as it evolves. A few years ago, I bought a Masamoto VG as my first Japanese knife, which I found impressive at the time and still use for rougher tasks. Eventually, I learned of even better knives, so i bought a Kurosaki AS and Masakage Koishi, which were far more impressive for both their performance and craftsmanship. Since then, I have been fascinated by trying different styles and makers, especially those with long traditions or interesting stories, but only recently did I really go all in on exploring. Now, I have a small collection, which I hope to expand and then focus over time.

IMG_0414.jpg

From left to right:
Kurosaki R2 Hammered 150 mm petty
Ishikawa W#2 165 mm nakiri
Yoshimune W#1 165 mm nakiri
Kurosaki AS 210 mm gyuto
Konosuke Fujiyama FM B#1 240 mm gyuto
Munetoshi W#2 240 mm gyuto
Masakage Koishi AS 240 mm gyuto
Konosuke HD2 240 mm gyuto
Toyama Noborikoi B#2 240 mm gyuto
Takeda NAS Medium gyuto
CCK 1303 cleaver
Moritaka AS 130 mm petty

Not shown: Masamoto VG 210 mm gyuto, Dexter 7" heavy-duty cleaver, and Victorinox bread, slicing, and paring knives

I also have a Teruyasu Fujiwara Maboroshi 180 mm gyuto on the way.
What a nice collection of knives :!:
Image
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html

pgugger
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:59 am
Location: Northeastern USA
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by pgugger »

Robstreperous wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:58 am
Yeppp... I decided to limit myself to no more than 2 new knives per year and sticking to it.

The way it's gone though I'm now bought out through 2033.
Haha, my wife suggested a similar rule, but in that case I am bought out through 2025...

ChefKnivesToGo wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 am
What a nice collection of knives :!:
Thanks, Mark! As you can probably tell, many of them are from CKTG :)

jacko9
Posts: 1976
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm
Location: SF Bay Area, Ca
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by jacko9 »

Latest Addition 180mm Shigefusa KU Santoku. It is a bit heavier than I anticipated so I'll have to try it out before I decide if I'm going to keep it.
Attachments
IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5678.JPG
IMG_1318.JPG
IMG_5517.JPG

Xuanfusion
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Xuanfusion »

Kato yanagiba 300mm , Out off storage box recently , trying to learn how to do some nice polishing on it
Attachments
76A51A4C-6858-4954-A0AC-741A49BB642F.jpeg

Xuanfusion
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Xuanfusion »

Shig yanagiba 270mm and 300mm
Attachments
1FC8BCA4-8A72-468B-A18A-7A80C97A859E.jpeg
334FEA9E-71BB-459F-A5D4-14C191A8A800.jpeg
FCD24A48-311B-4B45-B950-23B8C7C34BB3.jpeg

MagneticStorm
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:58 pm
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by MagneticStorm »

IMG_20200213_121207.jpg
Shibata Kotetsu 210

Razor sharp out the box. Beautiful fit and finish. Kanji adds a lot. Super light weight. For a home cook looking to make meals for family and friends, this really allows your knife skills to shine!! You can make incredible precise cuts, very quickly. I felt like a professional chef immediately. I was not battling the pepper, I was caressing the pepper.

RonAZ
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:44 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by RonAZ »

I've always liked Shig and the two yanagiba you posted are beautiful knives.
Ron

Chefspence
Posts: 2434
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:03 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Chefspence »

Xuanfusion wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:50 am
Kato yanagiba 300mm , Out off storage box recently , trying to learn how to do some nice polishing on it
That kanji.....my goodness!!

User avatar
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin
Posts: 14388
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:23 pm
Location: Madison, WI
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 44 times
Contact:

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Nice ones.
Image
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/blfrsp.html

JimInRocks
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:33 am

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by JimInRocks »

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8sZlLwH_Rh/
Got this knife a while ago but didn’t use it until I got it rehandled so basically brand new, my little AS Santoku with a custom handle done by Dustin Swaciak to show off a bit at work

Xuanfusion
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Xuanfusion »

Jikko 270 & hinoura 270 , both from KNS , thanks james!
Attachments
8AAD7744-DB23-4C22-8D5B-6ECBCBADD2C3.jpeg

Xuanfusion
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Xuanfusion »

Moritaka 270 As gyuto & 270 k tip gyuto
Attachments
821B3E5A-A68E-40E9-8629-24B6B9848126.jpeg

Xuanfusion
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:26 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Show us your knives!

Post by Xuanfusion »

Thin edge on Moritaka
Attachments
91F45F1A-34EE-4649-9BD5-24627A6240B1.jpeg

Post Reply