Western w2 differentially hardened gyuto

For questions/topics that don't fit into the other, more specific forums.
ronnie_suburban

Re: Western w2 differentially hardened gyuto

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Wow - what a thread! And what an absolutely stunning piece! I'm massively grateful to have access to rich, detailed information like this. Thank you, sir, for taking the time to provide it.

=R=
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Black Western handles never looked this good! Really beautiful handle, and the whole work is remarkable.
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
nakneker

Post by nakneker »

What a great looking knife, I bet it performs just as well. Nice job Carter and congrats Steve!
“The goal is to die with memories, not dreams.”
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Wow! Well done Steve. Magnificent work Carter.
Ut_ron

Post by Ut_ron »

Stunning 👍👍
Home cook that enjoys sharp knives.
Carter

Post by Carter »

Thanks guys, it was a fun project. Still need to get #2 done.....
pd7077

Post by pd7077 »

I’ve had a few days of board time with the knife so I figured that I would post a few pics and give everyone my initial impressions. This is the 5th knife from Carter that I have been able to play with, but this is my first go-around with his differentially hardened W2. This western handled W2 is definitely the thinnest of all the Carter knives I have tried (2.1mm at the bolster, 1.5mm halfway, 1.0mm two inches from the tip), and getting used to the weight and balance took me a couple of days. Overall weight is 200g (7oz), and the balance point is right at the heel. Even with the very neutral balance, I started off slowly because I found myself raising the knife higher than I normally do.

There is a bit of flex to the knife, which is to be expected with a knife this thin, but there’s enough stiffness to it that I didn’t have to worry when cutting taller and denser ingredients. Boy can this thing cut!!! Yes, the food release isn’t the greatest, but you wouldn’t expect a knife this thin to repel food the way that a thick convex grind would. I’m primarily a push cutter so Carter contoured the edge profile so that it would suit my style. However, the grind does lend itself well to draw cuts with the tip, and this mitigates a lot of the stickage when working with sticky ingredients. The shape of the front 1/3 is somewhat reminiscent of a KS, and it literally glides through ingredients with minimal effort. It’s probably my favorite part of the knife to use!

I’ll be working the knife out a bit more in the coming weeks, but my initial impressions are nothing but positive....which is what I expected based on my experience with Carter's knives. He’s a pleasure to work with, and I would encourage anyone looking for a custom knife to get in touch with him. And did I mention how nice Carter’s handle and saya work is?!?!?

Here are a few photos, some of which I posted previously in the new knife thread.

Some close up detail shots of the handle, saya, and makers mark.

And who doesn’t love a nice blue patina?
--- Steve
Carter

Post by Carter »

Just finished the second 240mm gyuto in W2 steel. The handle is black & white ebony and carbon fiber from @FatCarbon. The saya is also black & white ebony.