Koishi vs Anryu AS... Apples to Apples???

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
CacahuateSommelier

Koishi vs Anryu AS... Apples to Apples???

Post by CacahuateSommelier »

Curious if anyone has tried the new Anryu side by side with a Koishi? If so.... what’s the story

Currently I have a 240 Koishi & Makoto 240. I reach for the
Koishi for food release & the Makoto for its thin tip & racy grind.... curious where the anryu & some others land

Koishi
3C76AE69-567F-4A96-AB35-CE03758CC432.png
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/makogy24.html

Anryu AS
23FC7C57-0BC7-4E33-9C6A-43D563FEFCEE.png
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anasgy24.html

A few more of interest for comparison to the new Anryu:

Kato AS
DA94EB68-9071-4929-8916-A1447E5F2550.png
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaasgy21.html

Kurosaki AS
BE4B910F-51D7-46E9-825C-8FCFE588701F.png
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kuasku24gy.html
Last edited by CacahuateSommelier on Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
CacahuateSommelier

Re: Koishi vs Anryu AS... Apples to Apples???

Makoto W#2
17FEDCE5-0339-4549-81E1-F2F7BE9B0407.png
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mawh2gy24.html

Makoto Ryusei
F4D05235-CADF-4ACD-AD7F-ABF7F2832E90.png
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/marygy24.html

Interested in buying one from above (excluding the ones I own already..... decisions decisions
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

I've owned all three of these knives. Your description of your Kioshi is interesting. My 240 has arguably the thinnest and best performing tip of any knife I've used except for the Shibata AS. It's better than the Makoto I owned in every facet. Not by much, but it was evident.

In other words, these knives can very significantly from one to the next. Seems my Koishi is ground a bit thinner than yours.

The Anryu has similar profile to the Koishi, but very different steel and performance. The Anryu is a confident knife that doesn't need the best driver behind the wheel to perform well. I'd be more likely to take an Anryu to a professional setting than a Koishi. B#2 is tougher than AS and less prone to microchips. It excels with stout ingredients.

That said, the photo of the Anryu you posted seems to look a bit different compared to the one I owned.

The Kurosaki AS is more similar to the Anryu than the Koishi, but of course it's AS.
Jeffry B
gastro gnome

Post by gastro gnome »

Brief digression OP, as I will not directly address your question (and for that, I apologize).

After reading up on some makes/makers yesterday, it just clicked for me that these smiths all trained under the same guy - Hiroshi Kato and all seem to have cut their chops and/or set up shop in and around Echizen (whether as a part of Takefu Village or not). I've heard of folks comparing the Kurosaki bros. works to each other and to the elder Kato. Kato's son may well also resemble his father's work. Anryu trained with him as well. I've also heard of people make comments that they like but don't love any of the Takefu knives (and while preference is certainly subjective, what I took from that is that they are at least similar enough to lump together for some).

So, while totally recognizing that each iteration of these knife models likely vary a bit from blade to blade, I wonder if there is a kind of similarity between Takefu profiles and just how different any of these feel from one another (be it grind, blade geometry, etc).

Apologies if I've mis-stated the facts or am confusing myself. I only just realized that there is a common link between all these smiths (and others in Takefu as well, I imagine). That's not to say that they are putting out the same blades. I can't speak from experience because I've only handled the Makoto in a 240 and Anryu B#2 santoku (which is certainly not apples to apples). I'm hoping (as you likely are CacahuateSommelier), that some more knowledgeable folks can set me straight and/or share their experience with more of these specific knives and how they might be similar or different from one another.

End digression.
eyewanders

Post by eyewanders »

Just piping in here briefly to point out that the Anryu knife the OP is referencing is from the newer AS line, not the (well-loved) hammered blue#2 variety.
I can't answer your question specifically, but I do own the 170mm bunka from Anryu-san's AS line and it is nothing short of magnificent.
---Kevin
salemj

Post by salemj »

gastro gnome wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:35 pm Brief digression OP, as I will not directly address your question (and for that, I apologize).

After reading up on some makes/makers yesterday, it just clicked for me that these smiths all trained under the same guy - Hiroshi Kato and all seem to have cut their chops and/or set up shop in and around Echizen (whether as a part of Takefu Village or not). I've heard of folks comparing the Kurosaki bros. works to each other and to the elder Kato. Kato's son may well also resemble his father's work. Anryu trained with him as well. I've also heard of people make comments that they like but don't love any of the Takefu knives (and while preference is certainly subjective, what I took from that is that they are at least similar enough to lump together for some).

So, while totally recognizing that each iteration of these knife models likely vary a bit from blade to blade, I wonder if there is a kind of similarity between Takefu profiles and just how different any of these feel from one another (be it grind, blade geometry, etc).

Apologies if I've mis-stated the facts or am confusing myself. I only just realized that there is a common link between all these smiths (and others in Takefu as well, I imagine). That's not to say that they are putting out the same blades. I can't speak from experience because I've only handled the Makoto in a 240 and Anryu B#2 santoku (which is certainly not apples to apples). I'm hoping (as you likely are CacahuateSommelier), that some more knowledgeable folks can set me straight and/or share their experience with more of these specific knives and how they might be similar or different from one another.

End digression.
I wouldn't call this much of a digression. In fact, I think it is right at the centre of the OP.

The profile part is easy: Mark has mentioned in the past that the "village" often shares the dies for the gyuto profiles. Remember that "hand-made" knives do not mean that machines are not used—in many cases, the profile of a gyuto is still stamped by a die after forging. This aspect of the knife – and the fact that the village shares different duties and helps each other out in a Sakai-type management of tasks from time to time – explains some profile similarities among their products.

The heat treatment is also included in this: differences exist, but these people not only trained a lot together under one of two masters (Kato and Anryu), but they also trained a lot on the same ovens under the same lighting conditions and still share some of it from time to time, I imagine. Obviously, certain variations exist now and those are nearly impossible for us to track. For example, Yu Kurosaki has his own shop next door now because demand is so high, and I think T. Ikeda is also out of the shop but is still related to these guys (he forges virtually all of Shibata's knives, for example, and apprenticed with Anryu).

Grinds are harder to figure out. Now that Makoto is doing his own knives, there is a very, very strong indication that he had been mostly grinding for years—his signature style can be seen in some of Yu Kurosaki's earlier work, and Yu has openly mentioned that they shared work on earlier orders from his shop, such as for the Richmond AS line. Further to this, the whole village has an "issue" with grinds due to the strong preference for hammered finishes. In general, most of the KU or hammered finishes have featured lower grinds (for obvious reasons), even in early renditions—this is part of why the Shimo was such an odd duckling early on, because it had the plainest finish and also some of the best performing, taller, and straighter grinds. But more recently, Yu's knives have pushed for higher grinds on overall thinner blades, too, and Makoto knives have higher grinds; T. Ikeda's knives have also always featured non-hammered finishes and taller, flatter grinds. Since then, I've also noticed more recent choil shots for some of Anryu's knives have straighter, taller grinds as well, regardless of finish. And there were reports that that Koishi grinds changed dramatically when Kato's son took over more of his orders. (Just to be clear: when the finish is not hammered or KU, the transition from the edge to the spine has no aesthetic considerations, to it is easier to have a taller, thinner grind without having to worry about the cosmetic effect on the upper finish being consistent from heel to tip.)

I wouldn't doubt for a second that Echizen is simply too unique a model to sort out definitively. It mixes elements of Sakai culture (found in the village and in the Masakage knives) with a more recent trend in "branding by name" (Yu and Makoto, Shibata, T. Ikeda), but all of this is made more complicated by the fact that the smiths we know are also so tightly related by a single apprentice tree and generally work in both systems simultaneously. My feeling is that this is both a strength and a weakness: if you love Masakage knives, you have infinite variety within a particular set of style ranges, and each knife will likely feel unique and hand-made, too, with lots of subtle variation, and this speaks directly to the OP. The negative is that, if you are NOT a huge fan of these knives, it can be very intimidating to choose just one or two as "representative" of their best work, and the only way to really know whether or not you are getting a particular weight, balance, and grind style is not by the brand or label, but by inspecting one in person, which also speaks to the OP but for someone like me who would be trying to choose just one of these knives to try as representative of Echizen more generally. It also means that it is really, really, really difficult to know just who (all) made your knife if you bought it before 2016 or so...but if you like it, does it really matter? Haha.

Currently, I only own one petty and one gyuto from this region, but when I think of the future, I imagine I will own several knives from this region because it is one of the youngest, most innovative, and most dynamic, which I think is fun and interesting. I also think they are slowly shifting from lower grinds and cosmetic finishes to more of what I like: plain knives with thinner, taller grinds, such as most of Makoto, Shibata, and Ikeda's recent offerings. It is a moving target, and that is what is fun.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.
CacahuateSommelier

Thank you tons @Gastro Gnome & Salem!!!!

You guys have given me tons of information, which is something I am always hungry for. But you have also touched on things I didn’t even realize and now make a ton of sense. I am a fan of the knives coming from this collective and would LOVE to try out All of them. Unfortunately buying one of everything is not in my $$$ range & I am unable to hold them all like I do when I visit at JON @JKI. I’m also not the kind a guy who wants 10 different knives that are all very similar with subtle nuance differences To enjoy (I mean, I’d love to but my $$$ flow isn’t anything like that 😂. I would love to settle on maybe 1 petty, 1-210, 2-3 240s, 1-Suji 1-2 nakiri from the region. I think the best I can do is make smart buys based on data collected from other peeps here & end up buying 2-3times the amount of knives I want and sell the ones who don’t make my “cut” lol. I notice a lot of people do

I currently have:
240 koishi (2015)
240 Makoto w#2 (2017)
Tall Makoto nakiri AS (2018)
165 Yuki Santoku (2016)
270 Yoshimi Suji (2018)
210 Anryu hammered b#2 (unsure when made)
150 Anryu hammered b#2 “ “
eyewanders

Post by eyewanders »

salemj wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:59 pm I wouldn't call this much of a digression. In fact, I think it is right at the centre of the OP....
Great summation. I've the Anryu AS I mentioned above from the region as well as an older Masakage gyuto, and the more recent AS blade from Anryu-san is distinctly higher in grind than the earlier Masakage that he also forged, even though it still has the KU finish. I've been peeking in now and again and resisting buying another from the region but finally decided to come by and pick up one of his new 240 AS knives..... but as is the way, I spent the last several visits over the past 24 hours looking at everything else and wound up with one of Makoto's newest for something a bit different.... and yet still connected. Can't wait to receive it.
---Kevin
CacahuateSommelier

jbart65 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:01 pm I've owned all three of these knives. Your description of your Kioshi is interesting. My 240 has arguably the thinnest and best performing tip of any knife I've used except for the Shibata AS. It's better than the Makoto I owned in every facet. Not by much, but it was evident.

In other words, these knives can very significantly from one to the next. Seems my Koishi is ground a bit thinner than yours.

The Anryu has similar profile to the Koishi, but very different steel and performance. The Anryu is a confident knife that doesn't need the best driver behind the wheel to perform well. I'd be more likely to take an Anryu to a professional setting than a Koishi. B#2 is tougher than AS and less prone to microchips. It excels with stout ingredients.

That said, the photo of the Anryu you posted seems to look a bit different compared to the one I owned.

The Kurosaki AS is more similar to the Anryu than the Koishi, but of course it's AS.
The Anryu I’m referring to is the new one.... the AS with a a pebble KU finish
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anasgy24.html
8C9D95C2-F0E7-43FF-BB02-D16910BEF265.png
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

My bad. The Anyru AS does seem like it is ground differently than the B2. Choil shots definitely reflect that.

I've tried or owned almost all the major knives produced in Takefu Village it seems.

Anryu B#2
Ikeda AS 250
Kanehiro AS
Kanehiro Ginsan
Kurosaki Megumi
Kurosaki AS
Kurosaki Laser
Masakage Shimo
Kurosaki Shizuku R2
Makoto W#2
Makoto AS tall nakiri
Makoto Sakura SG2
Masakage Yuki
Maskakage Koishi
Masakage Mizu
Saji ginsan
Takamura R2
Shibata AS

Here are my general impressions. Most of these knives have mid-grinds and they tend to be middleweights, ranging in weight from 5.5 ounces to 7 ounces. They tend to have profiles geared toward push cutting with an above-average ability to to rock.

A few are better choppers than others. The Kuro Laser and Ikeda come to mind. The Shimo.

A few were on the lighter side and more laser like. Shibata, for example, is the best cutter I've ever used.

The tips veer to the thinner side on most of these knives.

As others have noted, it seems that knives from this area are now tilting toward higher grinds. Makoto certainly falls into that category. Took me by surprise when I first used it.

I wouldn't say this knives are all the same, though. The Anryu B2 is a stout and confident knife. The Shibata AS is a ghost whisperer. The Koishi is am amazing high flyer. Ditto for the Kuro Laser and R2. And my Yuki seemed to have an S grind that set it apart in terms of performance and separation.

The Kanehiros might be my favorite. They match performance and looks into a great all-round package. Just a versatile do-it-all line of knives with panache. Ditto for the Saji ginsan.

Yes, there's a lot of similarity in these knives, but discerning users will find interesting differences in all of them. The differences might be small but they are noteworthy nonetheless.
Jeffry B
Miles

Post by Miles »

I’m late to the game but this is a great thread. I was thinking about how the takefu crew is connected and how that must affect their ideas and techniques. this thread puts some good insight into that and it’d be great to restart this discussion.