Looking for a 210mm gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
jasloe

Looking for a 210mm gyuto

Post by jasloe »

First time poster. Shopping around for a new knife and was all set on a Misono UX10, mostly because of the brand name recognition to be honest. A quick Google search brought me to this forum and, WOW, what a great community.

1)Pro or home cook?
Home cook

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want?
210mm. New York apartment with a pretty small kitchen!

4)How much do you want to spend?
No more than $250.

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Stainless

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Western but I am definitely open minded.

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Humdrum department store Wüstof. I have a 6" santoku and a 6" chef's knife. Looking forward to graduating to 210mm!

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Between fair and good?

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Push for hard, pull for soft.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Just starting to learn!

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.
Generally looking for a tough knife that holds an edge because I'm just getting started on learning how to sharpen my own knives and don't have much confidence yet. But willing to put in the work! I don't do much of my own butchering. Looking forward to supporting a smaller knife producer. Not a huge fan of Damascus finish.
Infrared

Re: Looking for a 210mm gyuto

Post by Infrared »

Hello,

Takamura Migaki SG2 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

Easily one of, if the not the best knife you can buy under $300. Will stay sharp for a very long time. The only possible negative is that the handle is on the smaller side, if that matters to you.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Tsunehisa and Kanehide
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

Infrared wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:40 pm Hello,

Takamura Migaki SG2 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/takamura.html

Easily one of, if the not the best knife you can buy under $300. Will stay sharp for a very long time. The only possible negative is that the handle is on the smaller side, if that matters to you.
I agree with what has been said. I’d get this knife. Only downside is for someone new to sharpening it can be a little challenging.
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Takamura are nice, here is another option with a bigger handle. The Kohetsu 210mm Blue #2 I have has a larger handle, assuming this has the same handle size/specs? HAP40 may also be a bit challenging for a new sharpener, but you can keep it sharp for a long time using strops, plenty of time to learn how to sharpen!

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohagy21.html

There are more options open with Wa handles as well.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Greetings and welcome to the forum.

The two good choices are the Kanehide PS60 Gyuto 210mm << and the Kanehide TK Gyuto 210mm <<.

Both are good performing mono-steel blades but the PS60 is fully stainless while the TK is semi-stainless. I personally like the TK slightly better for its overall characteristics closer to a carbon blade. Both are easy to sharpen but the TK moreso and might be a better choice while learning to sharpen.

The TK video is worth a look https://youtu.be/kTGIEI234mc and it's interesting to note this is one that Steve G (videographer) owns, considering he has handled hundreds of knives, it says allot.