What would CKTG members do?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
7x57mm@gmail.com

What would CKTG members do?

Post by 7x57mm@gmail.com »

I have a very nice J-knife with a handle that I am not enamored with. Would you spend the $150+ to re-handle it or would you upgrade to a knife with the handle shape that you want? Long story short, the knife in question is an Anryu Blue #2 Hammered with an oval handle. I have found that I really like octagonal handles (Kuwabara Forum Special 👍) and I either need to re-handle the Anryu or go to another knife. The oval handle just feels awkward and somewhat clumsy in my hand.

What say you?
taz575

Re: What would CKTG members do?

Post by taz575 »

I would check with Mark and some of the people here and see if they have any take off handles from other knives that may be better for you?

Or check here: https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... 3&start=20
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:07 am I have a very nice J-knife with a handle that I am not enamored with. Would you spend the $150+ to re-handle it or would you upgrade to a knife with the handle shape that you want? Long story short, the knife in question is an Anryu Blue #2 Hammered with an oval handle. I have found that I really like octagonal handles (Kuwabara Forum Special 👍) and I either need to re-handle the Anryu or go to another knife. The oval handle just feels awkward and somewhat clumsy in my hand.

What say you?
Beyond the handle how do you feel about the knife? Anryu Blue Hammered are the best thing I've yet found for dense foods and pretty good to excellent at a lot of other things... depending on what else you own.

I wouldn't be without mine.... but I'm the first one to tell you beauty's in the eye of the beholder...

If you like the steel then change the handle. I've done that several times and almost never regretted it.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I don't think you are at 150 for a rehandle...maybe a high end one with exotic materials, but a basic tapered octagon wa handle should not be that much. That being said, if you really like the knife, definitely upgrade the handle...if you are indifferent, just get a new knife.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Kalaeb wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:15 am I don't think you are at 150 for a rehandle...maybe a high end one with exotic materials, but a basic tapered octagon wa handle should not be that much. That being said, if you really like the knife, definitely upgrade the handle...if you are indifferent, just get a new knife.
Very well said. I'll add, if you get a new knife, you can send the Anryu to me. No Problem! :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
cliff

Post by cliff »

That's a special knife. Were it me, I'd send it off to rehandle. But it all depends on how much you like it.
7x57mm@gmail.com

cliff wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:33 pm That's a special knife. Were it me, I'd send it off to rehandle. But it all depends on how much you like it.
Cliff, I dig this knife and then some. Just finished prepping a bunch of veg for a big batch of veggie soup. By far Far FAR the best knife I have ever owned or used.
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

If you really love the knife, you could purchase a new handle and do it yourself. There are also many retailers that will do it for you for a fee. If it were me, I'd probably sell and take the opportunity to try something new.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Anyru has nice stock handles. I'd use the knife awhile longer and see if the oval doesn't grow on you. ;) I'm easy though. Handle shape means little to me, especially using a pinch grip.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

If you really liked the knife then maby you can try rehandle by yourself, it’s the cheapest way. There’s tutorials on YouTube shows you how to rehandle in two ways( torching method or using the glue), you can take the handle off by wood bar(if it’s torched), or put in the oven with low temperature without damaging the heartreat(if it’s done by glue method)
For me I’ll just sell it
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I think the knife is well worth investing in a great handle. It will just make it a fabulous knife. There are several in the listing linked above that would be great choices.
7x57mm@gmail.com

Jeff B wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:56 pm Anyru has nice stock handles. I'd use the knife awhile longer and see if the oval doesn't grow on you. ;) I'm easy though. Handle shape means little to me, especially using a pinch grip.
Jeff B....don't get me wrong...the stock handle is VERY NICE! It just feels awkward when I use it. I guess I'm so used to the slab sides of Wusthof and Goldhamster knives that the oval feels....well...weird and uncomfortable. The octagonal shape of the Kuwabara Petty fit me like a glove from the get go. I love using that little knife. I'll try to see whomever I use to re-handle the Anryu if they can repurpose the Anryu oval into an octagonal for the Tojiro ITK petty (love that knife). Wicked sharp and easy to keep that way.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

7x57mm@gmail.com wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:57 pm
Jeff B wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:56 pm Anyru has nice stock handles. I'd use the knife awhile longer and see if the oval doesn't grow on you. ;) I'm easy though. Handle shape means little to me, especially using a pinch grip.
Jeff B....don't get me wrong...the stock handle is VERY NICE! It just feels awkward when I use it. I guess I'm so used to the slab sides of Wusthof and Goldhamster knives that the oval feels....well...weird and uncomfortable. The octagonal shape of the Kuwabara Petty fit me like a glove from the get go. I love using that little knife. I'll try to see whomever I use to re-handle the Anryu if they can repurpose the Anryu oval into an octagonal for the Tojiro ITK petty (love that knife). Wicked sharp and easy to keep that way.
I understand, just like all things knives, it's a personal preference. I hope you get it worked out without too much cost. I'd hit up Mark or JoBone on Instagram or even PM him here and see if he doesn't have a nice Rosewood cast off from a Kurosaki or something that he would sell you on the cheap. Installation really is pretty easy.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
joanjet

Post by joanjet »

Of all the knives to rehandle, I wasn't expecting an Anryu

I actually found the Anryu 210mm with the stock handle to be the most comfortable knife I've ever held

But if the handle really isn't working for ya, an anryu is certainly worth customizing if you want to get into that sort of thing, as you are likely to use it it's whole lifetime.

A number of talented folks on this forum would be able to make you a custom handle as well as a custom saya, carter hopkins did mine for my masamoto ks
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Please, everyone, stop telling them to rehandle the knife. They're suppose to send it to me and buy themselves a new knife!

Stop spoiling my chances of getting another Anryu! :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
7x57mm@gmail.com

XexoX wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:07 pm Please, everyone, stop telling them to rehandle the knife. They're suppose to send it to me and buy themselves a new knife!

Stop spoiling my chances of getting another Anryu! :mrgreen:
:D :D :D
FisherMAn1298

Post by FisherMAn1298 »

There's no price on happiness my friend! Do whatever you have to in order to scrape up the $ and rehandle it in a way that you will love! Make sure it's the right one. Try the handle out before you buy!! Good luck 7x57, your passion for Anryu is well-founded. He's gonna go down in history as one of the best ever! AFter you get it done be sure to buy ANOTHER Anryu so it doesn't feel alone!
In the immortal words of Ken Schwartz-"Master The 1K."
7x57mm@gmail.com

:)
stewssy

Post by stewssy »

rehandle for sure. if it doesnt feel right, change it!