Travel Knife

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
d_rap

Re: Travel Knife

Post by d_rap »

Painters tape the edge, fold paper (bandana, whatever soft) around the entire knife to prevent scratches, and then securely tape cardboard form fit around the entire knife. Use that clear/tan packing tape and really torque it. Dial that in and you've got a 2-minute ready-made, materials close at hand anywhere, very secure, almost indestructible package, unless someone sets out to destroy it.

If they have to cut that open for a search just tape it back up again.
David
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Strongly recommend small stones. Look up what Takeda does with a few small stones. I believe one of them is a Hideriyama Tomae. Working with small stones that fit an edgepro is a skill worth having. You should always have a 1k stone with you.

Ken
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

ken123 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:52 pm Strongly recommend small stones. Look up what Takeda does with a few small stones. I believe one of them is a Hideriyama Tomae. Working with small stones that fit an edgepro is a skill worth having. You should always have a 1k stone with you.

Ken
Ken, do you mean these or something else? I've seen the videos of him using this one and his technique looked intriguing.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tahaheknsh.html
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Exactly the one. You could substitute your stones of choice or use ep stones instead - naturals, Shaptons, Nubatamas etc.
---
Ken
Drewski

Post by Drewski »

yummycrackers wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:50 pm Thanks for the suggestions. A small stone or two definitely sounds feasible.

Any thoughts on the saya/box dilemma? The knife's original box would take up more space, but a saya wouldn't do much for the handle and where the blade attaches to it.
I've transported a knife in a saya before, but it was kinda loose in a bag full of groceries. I guess the knife and groceries moving around allowed the edge to torque against the inside of the saya, which led to a couple decent size chips. I was very unhappy after that and don't use sayas for travel anymore.
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

Drewski wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:17 pm
yummycrackers wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:50 pm Thanks for the suggestions. A small stone or two definitely sounds feasible.

Any thoughts on the saya/box dilemma? The knife's original box would take up more space, but a saya wouldn't do much for the handle and where the blade attaches to it.
I've transported a knife in a saya before, but it was kinda loose in a bag full of groceries. I guess the knife and groceries moving around allowed the edge to torque against the inside of the saya, which led to a couple decent size chips. I was very unhappy after that and don't use sayas for travel anymore.
That's exactly what I was concerned about. Might have to go with what d_rap suggested earlier.
ken123 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:00 am Exactly the one. You could substitute your stones of choice or use ep stones instead - naturals, Shaptons, Nubatamas etc.
---
Ken
I've been wondering every since I first saw him use that technique—could it potentially be used to sharpen a knife that doesn't have a zero grind like the Takeda?
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

You absolutely can by moving the stone perpendicular to the edge and trying to maintain the same angle more or less as you move across the length of the edge.

However it's much easier with a zero grind convex because you're not maintaining an angle you're following a curve all the way along, and as Takeda shows you're basically scrubbing off sharpie until it's all gone, or even if you don't use sharpie polishing along that whole half inch wide bevel. Easier with wide convex 0 grind (a continuum) because when you're maintaining say a 12 degree angle on a v grind knife, and you keep having to move the stone perpendicular to the edge, it's much more difficult not to vary your angle as you inch the stone along.

That's why I would recommend using a small, long stone like the Edge Pros, but laying them flat like a normal stone and sharpening at an angle so as much of the blade contacts the stone as possible and you can maintain a fairly consistent angle.

I often sharpen my axes with a handheld edge pro stone or similar but again my axes are 0 grind convex.

Here's Jeff Jewell doing what I'm describing, albeit with a stone holder and a small knife. https://youtu.be/Olx3wvdxjjQ
David
ken123

Post by ken123 »

For a cheap portable folder I would also recommend opinel knives. Relatively cheap,sharpen easily and fit in your pocket safely. Just a thought. A lot ofthe CKTG blades are of course better steel.

Ken
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

^^^^^ +1 I have a #8 Opinel folder and think they are great knives for a very reasonable price. They come in a range of sizes, inox or carbon and are very good for just chucking in a backpack when you're out & about. I find it easy to sharpen, takes a good edge, and doesn't lose it too quickly. They're a bit quirky, with a very cool locking mechanism where you can lock the blade open or closed, so it's good and safe travelling companion.

Just my 2c worth
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

d_rap wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:34 pm You absolutely can by moving the stone perpendicular to the edge and trying to maintain the same angle more or less as you move across the length of the edge.

However it's much easier with a zero grind convex because you're not maintaining an angle you're following a curve all the way along, and as Takeda shows you're basically scrubbing off sharpie until it's all gone, or even if you don't use sharpie polishing along that whole half inch wide bevel. Easier with wide convex 0 grind (a continuum) because when you're maintaining say a 12 degree angle on a v grind knife, and you keep having to move the stone perpendicular to the edge, it's much more difficult not to vary your angle as you inch the stone along.

That's why I would recommend using a small, long stone like the Edge Pros, but laying them flat like a normal stone and sharpening at an angle so as much of the blade contacts the stone as possible and you can maintain a fairly consistent angle.

I often sharpen my axes with a handheld edge pro stone or similar but again my axes are 0 grind convex.

Here's Jeff Jewell doing what I'm describing, albeit with a stone holder and a small knife. https://youtu.be/Olx3wvdxjjQ
That definitely makes sense. Thanks, David. I'll probably try to procure one of the small Shapton stones and practice while I'm still at home and have a proper stone holder.
Radar53 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:41 pm ^^^^^ +1 I have a #8 Opinel folder and think they are great knives for a very reasonable price. They come in a range of sizes, inox or carbon and are very good for just chucking in a backpack when you're out & about. I find it easy to sharpen, takes a good edge, and doesn't lose it too quickly. They're a bit quirky, with a very cool locking mechanism where you can lock the blade open or closed, so it's good and safe travelling companion.

Just my 2c worth
I've seen those quite a few times and in fact usually travel with an old Laguiole pocket knife. Can't really comment on the quality of the steel, since I've never used it for kitchen prep or in fact sharpened it, but they do look nice.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ive taken them up to a 10k edge. Doesnt last long but it is a respectable edge.

Ken
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

ken123 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:54 pm Ive taken them up to a 10k edge. Doesnt last long but it is a respectable edge.

Ken
According to ZKnives, you are spot on, "T12 is not a high carbide volume alloy, so at high hardness it will benefit form thin, high polished edge."
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

I have an entire Travel knife set that I keep in my trunk so i can always be equipped to get cooking. I keep a 240 Gyuto, 210 Gyuto, 210 Petty, 150 Petty and a parer. Ill rotate amongst all my "workhorses" or beaters. The bag also keeps all my cooking utensils that i frequently use. I also understand that this much gear is not always feasible.

My small kit includes a short 210 Gyuto (42-43mm height. "Line knife" type) or 180 gyuto with a Paring knife and a Spoon. Some examples of this style include:

Gyuto
  • 210 Ashi Ginga Stainless
  • 210 Tsukiji Masamoto V2
  • 180 Tanaka Ginsan
Parer
  • Dojo
  • Victorinox
yummycrackers

Post by yummycrackers »

Mowgface wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:38 pm I have an entire Travel knife set that I keep in my trunk so i can always be equipped to get cooking. I keep a 240 Gyuto, 210 Gyuto, 210 Petty, 150 Petty and a parer. Ill rotate amongst all my "workhorses" or beaters. The bag also keeps all my cooking utensils that i frequently use. I also understand that this much gear is not always feasible.

My small kit includes a short 210 Gyuto (42-43mm height. "Line knife" type) or 180 gyuto with a Paring knife and a Spoon. Some examples of this style include:

Gyuto
  • 210 Ashi Ginga Stainless
  • 210 Tsukiji Masamoto V2
  • 180 Tanaka Ginsan
Parer
  • Dojo
  • Victorinox
I wish I could bring that much...but yes, that sort of line knife sounds ideal for travelling. Agreed on the Victorinox parers—always handy to have.
Tostadas

Post by Tostadas »

If this is for transportation, you could modify a cheap bamboo storage box, and just wrap the blades with plenty of newspaper/padding.
billk1002

Post by billk1002 »

I travel with 2 Yaxell dragon knives, all SS, stay sharp for a month of home use and my wife cannot chip them.
Home cook, addicted to knives, stones, food and new recipes.
Bill
YIGII

Post by YIGII »

I think my products are mainly made of Victorinox, very good utility knife, but the brand is not important. The price of each knife is about $5, and it can be used for about 2 years under good sharpness conditions.