Gyuto recommendation

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
packster

Gyuto recommendation

Post by packster »

Looking for recommendations for an enthusiastic home cook (ahem, assistant; my wife is the chef). We're vegetarian, and my cutting style is mostly push/pull cuts with some chopping. I rock for herbs mostly. Frankly, I don't need a new knife, but I enjoy trying new knives and browse here every so often and finally registered :-) I have a Takeda NAS 210 gyuto, a Masakage Yuki nakiri, a Takamura Chromax 210 gyuto and a Kohetsu HAP 40 petty knife (among those worth mentioning--I also have some cruddy knives!). Very modest sharpening skills, but I do have a Cerax stone that I use every few months and a sharpening steel that I use frequently for touch up.

Things I'm looking for in this knife:

In general, I like hand-made knives. Just the feeling that someone spent time crafting this knife versus some machine made it.

210mm Gyuto is the size I'm comfortable with, but wondering if I should try 240--would love thoughts on advantages of a longer knife, especially given I have several in the 210 size range.

Given that I have blades in AS, HAP40 and W2, I'm thinking about trying out R2, Ginsan, SLD or even ZDP-189. Must be relatively easy to sharpen on my stones, and have good edge retention. If it's a San Mai clad knife I'd prefer it to be stainless instead of iron (but it's not a deal-breaker).

Good all-around cutter, light to medium.

Looking for a light to medium weight knife (6oz is probably the max) that is thin enough to prevent excessive wedging on sweet potatoes, carrots, etc, but nothing that gets too flimsy or delicate. I plan to keep my Tojiro DP for harder foods, taking camping, etc

Some of the knives that caught my attention are:

Anryu AS, Kurosake AS, Moritaka AS (I know, I already have AS knives, and said I'm looking to explore other steels, but hey I like the AS!)

Shibata R2

Kanehiro Ginsan

Konosuke HD2 laser (I tried the 240 and loved the falling through feeling but found the length a bit uncomfortable, but this could be simply a lack of experience with the longer style--hence looking for advice on length)

I want to get the right knife for my needs, and don't mind waiting a few months for a certain model or looking for classifieds to pop up good options.

Thank you for your help with a recommendation!
TheLegalRazor

Re: Gyuto recommendation

Post by TheLegalRazor »

I have the Moritaka AS in 210 and 240, and recommend them both. You already have some nice 210's, so this may be the time to try a 240. After you use a 240 for a while, it won't seem as large and you may find the extra length useful.
Ricardo
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

You will quickly adapt to the 240 length. In terms of blade length, there a couple of other issues to consider.

The first is do you have the room in your food prep area to wield a 240?

The second issue, is the size of your current cutting boards sufficient. A general rule of thumb here says that the diagonal length of the board should be around the same as the length of the knife.

Most of the knives you talk about would all be fine choices. The Shibata Kashima is a vege slayer, but having a very fine edge, your technique would need to be on point.

Just my thoughts ~ YMMV
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
packster

Post by packster »

Thanks for the feedback!

On the Moritaka AS--has the iron cladding been an issue at all? Everything I've read seems super positive, and I'm very tempted to try it ...

On 240, I have sufficient prep room and a big enough cutting board. What are the situations you've found the extra length most helpful in?

Also, I forgot to mention one of my considerations in the initial post--food release. I've found the Takeda to be outstanding in this regard, the Yuki less so (but it is nonetheless one of my go to knives).
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

I have a Konosuke Fujiyama FM 210 Blue #2 and while I’m not sure if it’s considered a true laser (like the HD2), it is wickedly thin and great fun to use. In fact, I find myself reaching for it more than any knife. I bet the HD2 240 mm would be just as much fun. (I’ve been considering getting an HD2 in either the 240 or 270 length myself!) I can’t decide if I want a longer laser, or if I want to get a nice workhorse 210, like the Gihei Blue #2 Nashiji to replace my Henckel chef knife..
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I'll add with the 240, if you are used to the 210s, then watch for clearance on it. Not just when you are using it. I've hit the tip twice on things. Once on the sink, when I was rinsing it off and one on a stainless steel pot when I was setting it down after cutting with it. I bent the tip slightly one of those times, then did my best to straighten it on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug. Not the best I know, but it was one of the less expensive ones that I bought for a learning experience. Funny, that I've never banged the tip on the cheap carbon steel no name knives I bought at estate sales. Just watch for that. I'm much more careful with it now.

Also, I found that I reach for the longer knives most of the time. At first I thought a 240 would be way to big for me, but now the 210 seem so small. FYI, I'm a home cook for one, with less than average knife skills, for what that's worth.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
slensgra

Post by slensgra »

For ease of sharpening, consider a White steel knife such as this one: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh2nagy211.html

Post by cliff »

A longer knife will give you more workable edge and the edge will last longer. Once you get used to it, it will give you better leverage, even when you're not using the full length. Then sometimes you want the full length, say mincing herbs or getting through two onions at a time. It's good for your knife skills. Pretty soon, to brunoise shallots, not a problem with a knife that size. When you need more knife, it will be there. I love AS in general for the way it holds an edge and the way it stays toothy as it dulls down. I have the Kurosaki and Takeda, and have thought about Moritaka more than once.
packster

Post by packster »

Cliff, super helpful thoughts on length, thanks!
taz575

Post by taz575 »

I have been using 240mms a lot, even for tasks like slicing garlic thinly. I like them for cutting larger veggies, like rutabaga, celeriac, bigger squash, broccoli, cauliflower, shredding cabbage, etc and they sometimes have a longer flat spot, which helps for other ingredients. Using a pinch grip on a 240 shortens the useable blade a bit, too and makes it feel more nimble like a smaller knife would. I would definitely get the 240!
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Another advantage to a 240: with the tip on the board lift a knife with a blade that's 8" long and, with the same amount of wrist, lift something that's 9 1/2" long. The 240 is going to give you height at the heel with the same amount of wrist lift that you would not have had with the 210. That can be particularly valuable for rocking. I'm fairly short and I do a good amount of slicing with the tip resting against the board and I find that the longer knife actually makes that easier for me.
David
packster

Post by packster »

So, I just ordered the last of the Yahiko Sanjo White #2 Nashiji Gyuto 210mm in stock, and thought I'd check in to share that. In the end, I did try a different composition--all reactive! While I have other carbon steel knives, all have a stainless cladding, this is iron clad. I also went for a longer knife--ok, I cheated and bought a nominal 210 that actually checks in at 216 according to the description of the particular knife on the product page :-) It just looked great, and I came across some reviews that suggested it might be just right for me. (Just search for Sanjo White in the forums and the posts show up.)

Thanks to all of you who offered advice, much appreciated.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

packster wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 pm So, I just ordered the last of the Yahiko Sanjo White #2 Nashiji Gyuto 210mm in stock, and thought I'd check in to share that. In the end, I did try a different composition--all reactive! While I have other carbon steel knives, all have a stainless cladding, this is iron clad. I also went for a longer knife--ok, I cheated and bought a nominal 210 that actually checks in at 216 according to the description of the particular knife on the product page :-) It just looked great, and I came across some reviews that suggested it might be just right for me. (Just search for Sanjo White in the forums and the posts show up.)

Thanks to all of you who offered advice, much appreciated.
Forget what I said about 240s above, lol. I only have two 210s, the Anryu B2 and the one you just ordered. It's a fantastic choice.
David