210mm Gyuto wanted.

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

210mm Gyuto wanted.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hello Mark,

I bought a set of Tojiro DP knives from you about 5 or 6 years ago and still use them, but I want to upgrade and get a nice 210mm Wa Handle Gyuto. I am looking for recommendations.

My cutting style is mostly push/pull cuts with some chopping for things like green onions, celery etc. I don't do rocking cuts too often. The knife will be for home use, and we tend to eat a lot of veggies...lots of onions, peppers, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, cabbage etc and some meat.

There are certain things that I'm looking for in this knife:

210mm or 210mm++ size Wa handle Gyuto (but not as big as a 240)
50/50 edge profile
Ambidextrous Handle as one of us is a leftie
Medium to Large blade height (minimum of 46-47mm+) as my knuckles hit the board too often with my Tojiro DP 210mm
Ideally looking for Carbon steel (although I would entertain higher-end stainless or semi-stainless)
Must be relatively easy to sharpen on my stones, and have good edge retention
If it's a San Mai clad knife I'd prefer it to be stainless instead of iron (but it's not a deal-breaker)
Good all-around cutter, but needs to have some flat spot for occasional chopping. Knives with a long continual curve are not for me.
Looking for a light to medium weight knife (6oz is probably the max) that is thin enough to prevent excessive wedging on sweet potatoes, carrots, etc, but nothing that gets too flimsy or delicate. I plan to keep my Tojiro DP for harder foods, taking camping, etc

I have spent countless hours on your site and love the product videos. Some of the knives that caught my attention and seem to hit on most of the criteria above are:

Makoto AS Ryusei 210mm Gyuto
Makoto White #2 210 Gyuto
Masakage Yuki 210 Gyuto (or possibly the Masakage Mizu...but I'm not 100% sure about the lacquer and softer iron cladding)
Yo Kurosake AS 210 Gyuto
Anryu Blue #2 210 Gytuo (or maybe the AS version)
The Harukaze AS also caught my eye but there's not much info available on them

My budget is between approx $150 -$230, and I think most of these are in that general range. Which of these do you recommend, or are there others that I should look at?
I know that all of these are out of stock at the moment, and that's ok. I want to get the right knife for my needs, and don't mind waiting a few months for a certain model.

Thank you for your help with a recommendation!

Robert
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Re: 210mm Gyuto wanted.

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Robert,
That was an excellent knife request. :)

So, I'm guessing you won't be surprised that the knives you chose are all really good and I think you would enjoy any of them. The Anryu Blue #2 is the really hot one right now out of that group. For me, I would go with the Yu Kurosaki AS. I just used one of these for a week and it's fantastic.

I hope you get some good responses from our forum members.

Mark
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Hey Robert. I wish I was as clear-headed as you about what I wanted when I was first starting out here!

I got in on an Anryu B2 210 in the last batch Mark got in a couple of weeks ago and it really checks your boxes. Cuts beautifully, smoothly, cleanly in challenging ingredients, and it's light but still substantial. And did I mention gorgeous?

I have the Makoto AS Ryusei 240, and while I really love and recommend this knife too it's got a wide bevel and some shoulder (great release, but some bump) so it's not what I grab for carrots, sweet potatoes, or cabbage.

Best of luck choosing among some real winners.
David
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Third the Anryu - and you need to get your email in to get one - and the last batch sold out within an hour. I’m quite pleased with mine - it still hides most of the time - I prefer bigger knives - but that or the Kurosaki should ring your bell quite well.
Infrared

Post by Infrared »

Goko White #1 Gyuto 210mm https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto210mm.html

- Stainless clad, carbon core
- Very tall
- Extremely easy to sharpen
CutsYouUp

Post by CutsYouUp »

Thanks Mark for sharing my recommendation request and to everyone who has offered up their suggestions so far. I decided to create an account to follow the forum...so here I go getting sucked deep down into what may become another passion and hobby! :-)

It is good to hear so many recommendations for the Anryu Blue#2. It certainly is a beautiful looking knife. I had the opportunity a few weeks ago to borrow a friends Anryu AS 210mm Gyuto and really liked it. Is it safe to assume that the Anryu Blue #2 will have very similar cutting and performance?
I also looked into the Goko White #1 (which is in-stock now), but it seems that handle is quite large. Not sure if that would work for my wife and daughter who would also use the knife.

I've entered my email on the site for knives mentioned so far, and hopefully the Anryu Blue or Kurosake become available again soon. If anyone has other suggestions, please do share.

THANK YOU ALL!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

It's a little different but give the Kohetsu Blue 2 210 Bunka a look:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2nabu21.html

Sure seems to check a lot of the boxes.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Very good list!

The Harukaze AS is a very good performer and probably the best bang for the buck knife on that list. Has a versatile profile and very nice grind.
I am a big fan of Yu Kurosaki and have several of his knives and his Kurouchi AS is a fun, great looking and excellent performing knife.
The Anyru is a great knife but is very hard to snag at this point unless you're fast on the trigger when they show up.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Hello Robert and welcome to the forum.
Many good choices but the carbon core/stainless-clad knife in-stock I like best is the Gihei Blue #2 Gyuto 210mm <=. It is an excellent performer, great steel, great grind, GP profile and forward balance for powerful chopping.It has many the characteristics you are after and is in-stock.

The reviews are glowing. Have a look at Steve's video review too...

https://youtu.be/ujqfCJppMI4

Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

Anyru looks good and I have one so i know, but the Gihei recommended above is also a great choice! I have a petty Gihei and its just awesome how sharp it gets. Its a "beefier" knife than the Anyru is but nice flat spot and great performance. And I think you will like the octagonal handle vs the oval on the Anyru. (I sent mine off for an octagonal).
Ozno_flash

Post by Ozno_flash »

I'm also thinking of picking up another 210. I'm thinking of branching out to something non-Takefu and Gihei is definitely on the map. What about Yoshimitsu? I don't really hear much about their AS line, but the fugen gets good reviews. I'm somewhat turned off by Moritaka by the reports that the KU finish wears off quickly. Yoshimitsu seems like it could be an alternative for a non-takefu KU AS gyuto.
slensgra

Post by slensgra »

I have a Yoshimitsu white #1 gyuto 185 which I use a lot. It's fairly tall for its length which I like. A lot of knife for the money I think

Post by theejlee »

You might also consider the Kohetsu Ayogami Super. It’s a 60/40 grind I believe, but doesn’t steer like more offset grinds. I’m on my 2nd Kohetsu AS. Retired my first one after 3 years of daily professional use. It’s a total workhorse.
CutsYouUp

Post by CutsYouUp »

Thanks for all the recommendations. I missed out on the Anryu AS, but did manage to get the 210mm Anryu Damascus White#2. I understand it might be a liitle curvier than some of the other options I was looking at, but since I'm mostly a push cut guy I think it may work for me. I also ordered the finishing sharpening service so I'm excited to receive the knife in its top cutting shape!
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

CutsYouUp wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:48 pm Thanks for all the recommendations. I missed out on the Anryu AS, but did manage to get the 210mm Anryu Damascus White#2. I understand it might be a liitle curvier than some of the other options I was looking at, but since I'm mostly a push cut guy I think it may work for me. I also ordered the finishing sharpening service so I'm excited to receive the knife in its top cutting shape!
Yeah, I think Sue and Mark only got three of the AS ones, and they went fast! I've been getting the finish sharpening too. That way, I know what the knife is like when it is truly sharp. I'm sure you'll enjoy the knife.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.