Best Honesuki to break down chicken???

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
cliff

Re: Best Honesuki to break down chicken???

Post by cliff »

But no one worries about fish guts on their Deba?
gladius

Post by gladius »

cliff wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:14 am But no one worries about fish guts on their Deba?
---
It is common to eat fish raw. :)
KevinWood44

Post by KevinWood44 »

d_rap wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:25 pm
KevinWood44 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:12 pm I wondered why so many had western handles. I found very few with octagonal wooden handles.
Although of the 45 honesukis or so Mark has listed (counting in and out of stock) only about one third are western handles.
The rest are wa, a mix of octagonal and oval.

Yeah, interesting on the cleaning. I have almost exclusively wa handled knives at this point and get into some pretty messy places with them and they all clean up fine. For sure you need to make sure the seal-up is tight.
I didn't mean only the ones on CKTG
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

KevinWood44 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:44 pm I didn't mean only the ones on CKTG
Fair enough, and I did not mean to assume that. I was just citing the offerings here in order to say that plenty of honesukis had wa, or Japanese handles, as does mine. In addition, as far as form and function, I believe honesukis will generally work very well with these traditional handles and that, as usual, handle choice is a matter of aesthetic preference and comfort in hand.
David
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

Also, check out some technique vids. Love me a good honesuki.
https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... 21#p116121
Fender400

Post by Fender400 »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:35 am
Fender400 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:23 am I have to say, that while I love my Ishikawa honesuki (his imperfection is annoying, but my God can his knives cut) I tipped it the first time I used it trimming a brisket. The point hit the cutting board (hasagawa (sp?) rubber cutting board). It is the smallest of breaks...you can't tell visually, but run your fingers down the back and you can feel it. I haven't used it since, I grabbed a ginsan deba and the TK Bull nose butcher knife to wrap up the brisket.

Get a cheap honesuki, see if your like it, then drop some serious money on a nice one (but really...have you seen the Kanehide TK honesuki??).
Oh, geez . . . tipped on a boneless piece of meat into a rubber board?! That is a really unexpected and annoying turn of events. :cry:

Yeah...I felt like an idiot! Sadly all my knives are packed up as I just moved 2,000 miles to Texas. I plan on fixing it once I move into my house...because I do miss using it. And the Ishikawa funyaki...they really are unique!