What is the best line of knives from CKTG's that you can put in the dishwasher and not worry about it getting damaged?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Mauricio

What is the best line of knives from CKTG's that you can put in the dishwasher and not worry about it getting damaged?

Post by Mauricio »

I want to replace my busy wife's 7" santoku and 8" chef knife. She usually soaks the knives in soapy water and then a day later, if she has time, she put them in the dishwasher. :roll:

Thank you
cliff

Re: What is the best line of knives from CKTG's that you can put in the dishwasher and not worry about it getting damage

Post by cliff »

I don't think any knife can really survive this. My stepfather treated Wusthof that way, and it didn't go well. That said, maybe the Kanehide fibrox handle knives?
bruin

Re: What is the best line of knives from CKTG's that you can put in the dishwasher and not worry about it getting damage

Post by bruin »

I wouldn’t recommend anything on CKTG if your wife won’t change her cleaning habits. Your best bet is getting her something cheap you don’t mind replacing every so often. Victorinox are good cheap beaters (but even that I would feel bad treating this way).

You may have already tried this, but I would say most people who like to cook often do appreciate sharp knives, and can be talked into better cleaning habits if you explain to them how it affects sharpness and opens up their options in terms of different knives they can use. Doing a GOOD job hand washing a knife only takes a minute or two, and if you’re really short on time or lazy putting it under running water and wiping it with a towel takes seconds.
Mauricio

Post by Mauricio »

If the Chicago cutlery santoku she has is dirty, she goes for the stake knives to cut cheese, apples, lettuce or whatever she wants to eat. 😂

We have a 16 y/o german chef knife that is good but the handle is dying, I may go for another couple of German steel knives. I am just trying to give CKTG some more business. 😉
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Mauricio wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:18 pm... I am just trying to give CKTG some more business. 😉
That is great, and this way, since she soaks her knives and runs them through the dish washer, you'll be replacing them often! CKTG frequent buyer. :mrgreen:
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Mauricio

Post by Mauricio »

I guess I can ask the question in a different way...

Can Mac knives or any VG, VG1, VG5 or VG10 knives take abuse? Can pakkawood take abuse?
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Nope. Nothing here. Check out victorinox fibrox.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Maybe a Global might, at least soaking but I wouldn’t put any knife in the dishwasher even a plastic one.

C230ACE1-C690-4C1D-B0F3-9D9CF6B7E9D1.jpeg
C230ACE1-C690-4C1D-B0F3-9D9CF6B7E9D1.jpeg (45.93 KiB) Viewed 2834 times
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

There is no knife on the site that would survive a dishwasher. Sorry to be so negative but the two items are mutually exclusive. I wouldn’t even put one of those Globals in the washer.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

I have the same problem with my wife. The solution is simple. Store the knife in a different spot than the knives she uses and tell her to keep her hands off of them. Luckily, my wife is intimidated by extremely sharp knives and she is more than willing to let me cut everything up.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

VIctroinox Fibrox or some Dexter Russell stuff. No good knife should ever see the inside of a dishwasher.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

I wouldn’t even put a Fibrox in the washer. Honestly, there is no answer to this question other than NONE 🙏
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Ive used some Oneida knives in the dishwasher. Got them at the Grocery store. Perhaps a Cutco knife (not sure). Not great cutters but they will survive.

Have you considered a maid or a part time wife? :)

Seriously, leaving a dirty knife around is just bad health too.

---
Ken
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

XexoX wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:37 pm
Mauricio wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:18 pm... I am just trying to give CKTG some more business. 😉
That is great, and this way, since she soaks her knives and runs them through the dish washer, you'll be replacing them often! CKTG frequent buyer. :mrgreen:
What a very positive perspective. I like it :D
Mauricio

Post by Mauricio »

I do have my knives in a separate drawer. My wife is a doctor. She is busy, and I make wine for living so during harvest, right about now, both of us are working 16 hour days, Monday to Monday.

Sorry if I made some michelin star winners mad with my question 😂

So, Victorinox, Oneida, Dexter Russell...maybe Wusthof, Henckels, Mercer? No Japanese knives. Right?

Global and Mac websites do not recommend dishwashing their knives.
mauichef

Post by mauichef »

Mauricio wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:36 pm I do have my knives in a separate drawer. My wife is a doctor. She is busy, and I make wine for living so during harvest, right about now, both of us are working 16 hour days, Monday to Monday.

Sorry if I made some michelin star winners mad with my question 😂

So, Victorinox, Oneida, Dexter Russell...maybe Wusthof, Henckels, Mercer? No Japanese knives. Right?

Global and Mac websites do not recommend dishwashing their knives.
Come on mate. You asked a question and got some fair replies. I see no need for the sarcasm!
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

Just get all stainless steel knives, I’m lazy too, never really wash my stainless steel knives, just rinse it and let it sit for 3 min then come back Rinse again, the dirts easily came off. If you really want to put in the dishwasher(not meant for high end knives)then I recommend you buy those cheap stainless good performance like Victorinox, only 30 dollars, I won’t be heartbroken if anything goes wrong in the dishwasher.
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

I saw at Costco today a 5 set of Sabatier Knives for some ridiculusly low price, like $25 - $35, I think. Japanese knives made in China. I'll check again tomorrow. Costco also has Cangshan knife sets cheap.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
Ourorboros

Post by Ourorboros »

Mauricio wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:36 pm Sorry if I made some michelin star winners mad with my question 😂
I don't claim to be a great cook, but we did take the time to learn about our knives.
What you ask for is an inherent contradiction. For a given alloy, harder means more brittle. Japanese - even the Chinese before them back to the Bronze Age - prefer harder edges.
A J-knife is hard and takes advantage of that to be thin. That's what we love about them.
There is only so much playing with alloys can do.
Thin and brittle with hard water jets banging the edge against other things is a bad combination. You need durable, which is highly alloyed and softer.

On Amazon I saw a gyuto style knife made from 420HC. That might do the trick.