Takeda NAS(stainless clad) vs Classic (carbon steel clad)

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
unclemike

Takeda NAS(stainless clad) vs Classic (carbon steel clad)

Post by unclemike »

Hi, I posted this in another thread but thinking it might get buried so will post in more detail here. I’m a busy home cook but nothing like in a commercial kitchen (which I’ve also done but at 65 I think that is behind me).

So knife (probably the Banno Bunka 160-180 mm) would see home use. Wife would use it too and maybe not as anal as I am about cleaning it right away (better than me at cleaning everything else, in case she finds this post somehow). That is +1 for stainless.

I’m mainly interested in performance but the Classics seem like real works of art to me. So that’s +1 for Classic.

I love to sharpen and want a good contrast between the Aogami core steel and the cladding.

Anybody that has experienced either the NAS or Classic (or both!), please relate your experience and judgement. Thank you.
Radar53

Re: Takeda NAS(stainless clad) vs Classic (carbon steel clad)

Post by Radar53 »

Hi There Mike. I can understand your little connundrum well as I went through it in getting Takeda-san's gyuto some time back.

The thing that made the decision for me was I read somewhere that even Takeda-san said the stainless version was better. So decision made? Not quite, because my wife wanted to give this knife for my birthday and GKTG only had the classic. So classic it was finally & I couldn't be happier.

You wont go wrong either way and for my knife the AS is not that reactive, so as long as your wife is reasonable with upkeep you should be OK.

Disclaimer YMMV 8-) 8-)
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
unclemike

Post by unclemike »

Thanks for reply! Did Takeda-san say why the stainless clad was better?

I’m sure either one would be great and I’m stressing over nothing, but that’s just the way I am.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Yes he did, but it was a few haircuts ago now, even for me so sorry, but I can't remember specifically :lol: :lol: :lol:

Given your original post I would think that the key issue to consider is how your wife is going to treat the knife. I have found my Classic to be fairly good with product, even citrus with the occasional lapse of not wiping it down straight away. Also if she is using the knife a lot, she may not enjoy having to fret about being on top of cleaning all the time.

So don't stress about it unduly as I'm sure that both you and the knife will cope, whatever you choose
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Robstreperous

Post by Robstreperous »

Let’s see... I own

Classic:
Suji, Gyuto, Ko Bocho, Large Bunka

NAS
170 Bunka, Sasanoha
I love them all. The NAS are just a little thinner and a little slipperier through product than the Classic. You are correct though... the Classic are beautiful works of art.

Don’t know if this made your decision any easier. But there you have it!
dothedr3w

Post by dothedr3w »

I've got the AS (classic) gyuto. The gentleman who sold me mine carried both versions and said he found the AS to perform better (I was too new at the time to know which questions to ask). Can't speak to the food release on the NAS, but it's quite good on the classic. Edge performance should be the same on both. Care should be the same on both since the edge is reactive regardless. All else being equal, the kurouchi finish looks wayyyyy better than the flat, uniform finish of the NAS...purely subjective of course.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

Is he still making the classic? I was under the impression he only made the NAS now?
XexoX

Post by XexoX »

Kalaeb wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:29 pm Is he still making the classic? I was under the impression he only made the NAS now?
A few are being made. I missed out on a 240, but did get a Takeda Classic Gyuto 210mm Small last month. Have played with it yet though! Sign up for email notification, so you'll know when they come in. But don't hesitate. I waited a couple hours and the 240 was already sold out. I think I got the last 210 in that batch.
You can blame Mr. Suburban for my being here. :lol:
The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
All steels are equal if you can't keep them sharp. -- Jeff B.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Robstreperous wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:57 pm The NAS are just a little thinner and a little slipperier through product than the Classic. You are correct though... the Classic are beautiful works of art.
Grant mentions Takeda san recommending the NAS. About 6 months ago Mark had the 240 gyuto in classic and NAS, and going back and forth I emailed Takeda. He actually got back to me immediately. I told him I was looking at both in stock, and he wrote me that if I was deciding by performance that he recommended NAS. He did not go into specifics, but I took him to mean what Rob writes above. I went with the stainless.

I knew I would experience a bit of buyer's regret (the classics speak for themselves aesthetically), but I am very happy with my purchase. And while I don't have Rob's several points of comparison, my NAS is just wafer thin and on a knife that releases exceptionally well by virtue of geometry the stainless cladding is effectively non-stick into the bargain. When I have a decent amount of garlic to mince, I reach for my Takeda; it's the only blade I have that allows me to sweep minced garlic off with such ease. Cucumber, waxy potatoes--fuggetaboutit!

The tall convex bevel would need some thinning if you want it to be better in carrots, but get the knife sharp and it slices softer product like crazy. What a fun decision to make (if you can even find a classic to tempt you).
David
Knifenoob

Post by Knifenoob »

I have an NAS small cleaver. Not a fan of the finish, personally. And the convex blade wedged a bunch before I had the profile adjusted.
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

I got to handle both in a shop recently. The iron clad batch was substantially thinner than the NAS batch. Not sure if it was just this shop, but something to.consider. Both were quite thin and had the subtle forged hollow.