Single-bevel utility-knives?

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Qapla'

Single-bevel utility-knives?

Post by Qapla' »

Question for users of single-bevel knives: What do you consider to be a worthwhile single-bevel utility knife, and how do you most often use it?
daviddg

Re: Single-bevel utility-knives?

Post by daviddg »

Not that I own one, but are you referring to an Usuba?
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

Most single bevel knives are purpose specific, intended to excel at specialized tasks at the expense of overall utility. What jobs are you looking to do?
Barashka

Post by Barashka »

I use a tiny 110mm ko-deba for small mushrooms and smaller fish.
Kalaeb

Post by Kalaeb »

I use a 210 Tojiro yangi just so I can damage the edge with utility type tasks do I can practice sharpening single bevel.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

I use my Ishikawa honesuki not only for parting chicken and fileting smaller fish but also for a variety of small detail cuts. Probably not the world's best petty, and a 50-50 grind might be more versatile, but I've gotten used to it and it's my go-to for cutting an eye out of a potato type of tasks. The white 2 gets crazy sharp, and it's fun.
David
Qapla'

Post by Qapla' »

Thanks for this info all. Yeah, I'm aware that single-bevel knives are often much more specialized than other knives. The single-bevel knife that I somewhat actively use is an usuba.

I was originally considering a mukimono or honesuki, but I've also seen more weird things like single-bevel bunka's.
salemj

Post by salemj »

Honestly, I think my TK petty and my Tojiro pairing are very close to single-bevel. They are not chisel grind or anything, but I sharpen then asymmetrically and after living with them for a while the grinds seems almost 90/10 or more, which is not unlike, say, suisin.

I find that knives of this type (Japanese monosteel with biased grinds) make great petty knives. Unlike chisel grinds, they are not thick and do not wedge, but like them, they take sharp, acute edges that provide an extra level of bias and control for close-grip tasks.
~J

Comments: I'm short, a home cook, prefer lighter, thinner blades, and have tried dozens of brands over the years.