Need suggestions

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Fredward

Need suggestions

Post by Fredward »

Hey everyone. Soo I need your help. I just got my new 210 Gyuto but I’m not super happy with it. Well it’s probably a great knife for my money and skill but I wanted to see if there was some advice/suggestions that sealed the deal about switching.

So my new knife is karaku b#1. It was only $150 and the thing is it came with a different handle than what was in the picture. The listing has since been updated to show the correct handle but I was really stoked on the image when I ordered it. The hang up is the handle that came on it is actually super nice; non typical woods, looks great, and even has a taper near the ferrule. But the blade is a bit lower in the fit and finish than I was wanting. I could clean up the choil and spine and would get it 90% of the way there. The only other gripe I have is the stamped kanji, I really would love some great big kanji. But yeah, just not sure what I want to do.

It occurs to me that I sound like one of those people on hgtv shopping for a house that want a finished beautiful open concept in their dream neighborhood for 150k lol. But hey I guy can dream right.

1) Pro or home cook? Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want? 210?

4)How much do you want to spend? 150-225

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction? Any but no white steel, and would like AS or stainless over carbon

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle? Octagon, something not boring

7)What are your main knife/knives now? Nashida w#1 Nakiri, some beater ja hankles, and the new karaku Gyuto in question

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair? Fair

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter? All, depends on ingredient and cut I want

10)Do you know how to sharpen? Yes but I’m still very amateur
Attachments
FC5EB4E5-A17B-47DF-BB74-F9EC2C66B562.jpeg
4F530640-E495-40AA-B997-441AB1F6FDE3.jpeg
1CCA64D6-6B3C-412B-8B71-1514E127E0C8.jpeg
3A43863D-FB22-4499-AAB7-1D27DFD5FAAB.jpeg
Jeff B

Re: Need suggestions

Post by Jeff B »

I'm not a fan of the Karaku, entirely to thick of a grind for me. What you bought is actually a $100 knife with a custom handle on it. If you haven't used it sent it back and we can guide you to something nicer for the money. There are several AS knives in the $200 range that I think you would love but stock is very thin right now, assume because of the covid stuff.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:42 pm I'm not a fan of the Karaku, entirely to thick of a grind for me. What you bought is actually a $100 knife with a custom handle on it. If you haven't used it sent it back and we can guide you to something nicer for the money. There are several AS knives in the $200 range that I think you would love but stock is very thin right now, assume because of the covid stuff.
Exactly the blade is quite thick but the handle is quite nice. I was wondering if it was normal to have this slim of pickins. I have not used it yet.
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

I do like this kohetsu but its a little pricy and I was wanting a ku or nashiji finish in my Gyuto
Attachments
05E062BE-8DF3-4953-BF3B-7D75633E7CD3.png
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Fredward wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 pm
Jeff B wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:42 pm I'm not a fan of the Karaku, entirely to thick of a grind for me. What you bought is actually a $100 knife with a custom handle on it. If you haven't used it sent it back and we can guide you to something nicer for the money. There are several AS knives in the $200 range that I think you would love but stock is very thin right now, assume because of the covid stuff.
Exactly the blade is quite thick but the handle is quite nice. I was wondering if it was normal to have this slim of pickins. I have not used it yet.
The pickings are pretty thin given the time of year. It's usually right before and right after the Christmas Holiday to see inventory this depleted.

The Shinano with stock handle, which is above average, will save you some money.ttps://www.chefknivestogo.com/koshbl2gy21.html
As far as what is in stock this would be a good choice too - https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haashagy21.html

If you want to wait I think you would like a couple of the Anryu choices.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anasgy21.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anhagy21.html

You can add your email address on product pages to be notified when they come back in stock.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

So I think I need to extend my budget a bit. I just want something good. But I just really like those custom handles. And really dont want another oval handle knife. Do they offer the ability to put a custom handle on any knife?

I did like the anryu and almost got it over the karaku but I went with the custom handle over the blade quality, mistake.
Right now, just going over the stock, I’m looking at the

Anryu ku Damascus but it’s white steel and the handle is oval
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kaankusugy21.html

Kohetsu Shinano b2 custom - nice handle, good quality, b2 steel. But it’s a plain finish, while it looks quite nice I wanted that ku
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koshbl2gy24b.html

Yusaku b2 custom-
Harukaze as morado - but I don’t like the handle
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haashagy21.html

Kohetsu b2 nashiji - again handle is boring but it’s cheap
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2nagy21.html

Moritaka as custom- pricy. Handle is not exactly my style but it is cool and will probably look better in person, the coil shot looks like the grind is kinda funny/wavy
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/moasgy21cu1.html

Being new to j knives I don’t know the different brands though. So that $290 Moritaka could be great, or mediocre, I don’t know. What do you think about those?

How long do you think I would have to wait for some others? I really love the Kurosaki Fujin custom and would probably just close my eyes and click buy if it were in stock lol
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

If it were me, I'd pay close attention to the profile and attributes of the knife relative to my preferred cutting and cooking styles, and kitchen practices. All other attributes aside, if you buy a blade with a profile or a fit that isn't a good match for you, you may find yourself not wanting to use the knife very often. I'm not saying that other attributes aren't important but if you really plan on using the knife, make sure you can satisfyingly and efficiently do so.

Watch the Quick Look videos, study the product shots -- continue to ask questions here -- and narrow down the choices to favor blades that are a good fit for your overall style and preferences. Obviously attributes like price, steel, style, handle, weight, length, aesthetics, etc. are all important but imo, they should all be considered in service to whether or not the knife will be a functional good fit for you.

As an example, I have a beloved knife that my wife bought for me in 1999. It's a Bob Kramer Chefs Knife, the first serious knife I ever owned. I read about it in Saveur and I had to have one. She secretly ordered one for me and 1+ years later, she gifted it to me. I love it. Hell, I treasure it but I almost never use it. Why? Because it's got too much belly and a notch at the end of the handle that hurts my hand when I use it. It'd be great for someone with more of a rocking style and with smaller hands.

Do your hands get sweaty when you cook? Maybe an oval handle is a bad idea. Does your arm get fatigued quickly? Maybe lighter knives are a better choice. Will keeping the blade wiped down and dry cramp your style? Reactive might not be the best choice. These are the types of questions you should ask yourself (and answer) before making a decision. Understanding why you don't like the Karaku is definitely a productive start.

Ok, I realize that I probably made this harder than easier. I swear that wasn't my intention! :D
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

ronnie_suburban wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:45 am
Thanks. I’ve pretty well know all the attributes of the knife I want it’s just trying to find the one that ticks all the boxes and getting advice from you all as to which are favored brands and which are better fit and finish.

I want an octagon handle, I have an oval and am not a huge fan but it works still. I really like the custom handles for the taper at the ferrule. I think the 210mm is perfect. 240 might be too big for my needs, looking for an all arounder. Would be open to other styles besides Gyuto too. Not too particular about the profile except I don’t want a super long flat section. I have a Nakiri for my push/pull and chop cuts but have a hybrid style. I want a reactive blade, I like how it changes, but would be down with a stainless cladding.

Do you have any advice about the particular knives I listed above?
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have the Anyru 210 B#2 hammered finish and its a great knife, but it has an oval handle. My hand doesnt seem to know where it is with the oval handle and I plan on getting an octagonal handler for it.

Whats in stock that would work for you and I bet you would like is a Kanehiro As 210
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawa21.html
I dont have the gyuto but do have the bunka version and it cuts great, and awesome kanji, fit and finish.
Nochop!

Post by Nochop! »

I'd pick up that 210 Makoto on the BST for $170. Will outperform pretty much anything mentioned. Has a nicer than usual stock octagon handle. Maple and red pakka. Can upgrade at any point if it really jives with you.
ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Fredward wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 am Do you have any advice about the particular knives I listed above?
Unfortunately, not a one. I haven't used any of those knives, so I cannot provide any useful input. That said, 2 of the 5 have oval handles and you've already said you don't want that, so you might as well eliminate those right off the bat.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

Nochop! wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:02 am I'd pick up that 210 Makoto on the BST for $170. Will outperform pretty much anything mentioned. Has a nicer than usual stock octagon handle. Maple and red pakka. Can upgrade at any point if it really jives with you.
Thanks for the Rec. I’m not finding this one though. Only Makoto I see is the vg10 laser. Am I looking in the wrong place?
gladius

Post by gladius »

Fredward wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:14 pm
Nochop! wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:02 am I'd pick up that 210 Makoto on the BST for $170. Will outperform pretty much anything mentioned. Has a nicer than usual stock octagon handle. Maple and red pakka. Can upgrade at any point if it really jives with you.
Thanks for the Rec. I’m not finding this one though. Only Makoto I see is the vg10 laser. Am I looking in the wrong place?
---
Wait for it to return to stock...
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/marygy21.html

For those in-stock under $225 I'd consider the following, both excellent performers:

Moritaka AS Gyuto 210mm

Kohetsu HAP40 Gyuto 210mm
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

gladius wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:20 pm Wait for it to return to stock...
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/marygy21.html
For those in-stock under $225 I'd consider the following, both excellent performers:
Moritaka AS Gyuto 210mm
Kohetsu HAP40 Gyuto 210mm

Man alive! That Makoto is so nice!

If I were to up my budget would your suggestions stay the same? I like the look of the Tanaka sekiso b2 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto2.html
It’s pricy but ticks all the boxes and looks really great. Anyone have advice on that one?

The Kanehiro mentioned above also looks quite nice.

So my new short list is
Makoto ryusei as
Tanaka sekiso b2
Moritaka as
Kanahiro as

The Makoto looks to be the best blade, great profile, thin blade, finish is amazing, stainless over carbon which is less fun for patina, and price to boot. The Tanaka is just a stunning looking, seems like it’s well received and good performer but finish could be better from what I read, and it’s quite expensive. The Moritaka has the really nice quality ku finish, which is what I was originally after, good distal taper, and comes recommended by mark, And the kanahiro which looks good too.
Last edited by Fredward on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

There's a Makoto in the classifieds right now, Nochop! mentioned above.

https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... 16&t=14491

I'm one of the many people with a Makoto AS. I've got the 240, and it's killer, but it is on the big side. It's going to be great in 210.
David
gladius

Post by gladius »

Fredward wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:39 pm
Man alive! That Makoto is so nice!

If I were to up my budget would your suggestions stay the same? I like the look of the Tanaka sekiso b2 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tanakagyuto2.html
It’s pricy but ticks all the boxes and looks really great. Anyone have advice on that one?

The Kanehiro mentioned above also looks quite nice.

So my new short list is
Makoto ryusei as
Tanaka sekiso b2
Moritaka as
Kanahiro as

The Makoto looks to be the best blade, great profile, thin blade, finish is amazing, stainless over carbon which is less fun for patina, and price to boot. The Tanaka is just a stunning looking, seems like it’s well received and good performer but finish could be better from what I read, and it’s quite expensive. The Moritaka has the really nice quality ku finish, which is what I was originally after, good distal taper, and comes recommended by mark, And the kanahiro which looks good too.
---
The Makoto IS very nice. I have all the AS blades on your list. Add $15 and the Kanehiro (in stock) is also killer (I have an older model).

So are Moritaka! I use Moritaka blades allot: cleaver, tall nakiri, small santoku, bunka and petty. Very, very good heat treat of aogami super steel; among the best.

EDIT: if you really like Makoto, take advantage of the one in the classifieds.
Fredward

Post by Fredward »

gladius wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:53 pm
---
The Makoto IS very nice. I have all the AS blades on your list. Add $15 and the Kanehiro (in stock) is also killer (I have an older model).

So are Moritaka! I use Moritaka blades allot: cleaver, tall nakiri, small santoku, bunka and petty. Very, very good heat treat of aogami super steel; among the best.

EDIT: if you really like Makoto, take advantage of the one in the classifieds.
[/quote]

Man you didn’t make it any easier lol. The Makoto is very appealing because of the finish quality and performance but it wasn’t the look I was going for, but it is beautiful. I prefer the looks of the Tanaka, it has the exact handle I want, full carbon, and the Damascus and kanji are great, but I’ve heard the least about it out of all the ones on my list. The Kanehiro in my mind fits in the same slot as the Makoto so it’s last on my list right now. I guess I just need to make up my mind, seems like I can’t go wrong here.

Any reason why I shouldn’t get the Tanaka?
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Fredward wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:57 pm I really like the custom handles for the taper at the ferrule.
Just know that NOT all the custom handles will have the same tapered ferrule like the one on the Karaku you bought. That is something that you will have to check with Mark about unless there is obvious pictures of it.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Fredward wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm ...seems like I can’t go wrong here.
Any reason why I shouldn’t get the Tanaka?
---
You really can't go wrong - all are good knives...get the one that speaks to you.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Fredward wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:04 pm Any reason why I shouldn’t get the Tanaka?
The Tanaka is very nice and it looks to have the tapered ferrule you're looking for. Great knife as long as you're ok with fully reactive.