Sub $200 210mm Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.

Help me choose!

Kanehide PS60 ($135)
19%
Takamura Chromax ($140)
10%
Masamoto VG ($160)
No votes
Mac Pro ($160)
5%
Takamura R2 ($180)
24%
Makoto Sakura SG2-WA ($180)
14%
Misono UX10 ($200)
5%
Kato VG-10 Suminagashi Western Gyuto 210mm ($209)
10%
Wakui Gyuto White 2 Stainless Clad Kurouchi Nashiji Finish-WA Handle ($200)
14%

Total votes: 21

Ceriano

Sub $200 210mm Gyuto

Post by Ceriano »

All I'm looking to add a few Japanese knives to my collection. Does it makes sense to own Gyuto in both WA and western handle? I'm leaning towards WA handle but but my girlfriend prefer the western handle.

Here are a few I'm looking at:

Kanehide PS60 ($135)
Takamura Chromax ($140)
Masamoto VG ($160)
Mac Pro ($160)
Takamura R2 ($180)
Misono UX10 ($200)
Kato VG-10 Suminagashi Western Gyuto 210mm ($209)

Option for WA handle:

Makoto Sakura SG2 ($180)
Wakui Gyuto White 2 Stainless Clad Kurouchi Nashiji Finish ($200)

1)Pro or home cook?
Home Cook

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want?

4)How much do you want to spend?
$250 max

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
No preference. My only experience with carbon steel has been with D2 (knives of Alaska) and cheap Mora knives which are somewhat corrosion resistant

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Western handle (I may create another post for WA handle Gyuto and a petty knife)

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Henckels set

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Fair (poor)

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Hybrid but mostly chopper

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
No I have tried and failed in the past. Can any of these knives be sharpen on a Tormek? if not I will have to ship them to a pro.
Last edited by Ceriano on Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
d_rap

Re: Sub $200 210mm Gyuto

Post by d_rap »

All my knives are wa handled and I don't have experience with the knives you're looking at to comment but I will say from experience that any of these knives can be sharpened on a tormek. That is an extremely versatile piece of equipment.

And given that you know how to use a tormek and understand the principles of sharpening I think people here can help you transition to free hand fairly easily as well if you're interested, even if you had some bad experiences in the past.
David
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there Ceriano & welcome to the forum.

Wa handles on most knives are just fine and it's a very easy transition from the western to Japanese style of handle.

Sharpening. I understand your plight because while I was a pretty competent sharpener using a guided system (EdgePro) I always thought that I couldn't sharpen freehand to save my life. So about three years ago I decided to take the plunge and learn freehand. Long story short it didn't take that long to become reasonably proficient. The real trick is to find a mentor who can guide you through the process. There's a ton of video stuff on line and some of it is excellent & quite a lot of it is questionable to be kind. A big part of the problem is to know what is the good stuff & what is not.

Peter Nowlan, who is a member of this forum, has produced some of the very best teaching videos available IMHO. He seems to be able to cut through everything and present his stuff simply and with clarity. You can find some of his videos here <https://www.knifeplanet.net/knife-sharp ... ne-course/> and he also has his own blog site here <http://sharpener-pete.blogspot.com/>

So get your knife sharpened by CKTG when you purchase it so that you know what a really sharp knife is and it should last through until you can sharpen yourself (worst case if that doesn't develop quick enough send it back to Mark or one of the other sharpeners on this site). So grab a stone or two and practice, practice, practice along with patience, patience, patience.

Let us know what knife you choose and if you want to learn to sharpen come back and ask anything you're not sure of on the Sharpening section.

Best of luck
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I voted for the Wakui, but would get the hammered finish (better looking knife) and spend 7 bucks more and get the upgraded handle. But If I was just starting off and wanted to save some money would go with the Kanehide. Who gets to pick the handle? If its your knife and you will be using it the most, get a Wa handle.
Wjhunt

Post by Wjhunt »

You may like this knife.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/harukaze2.html. I have been thinking about picking one up for a while. I have not used the tormek system but it looks good to me. I would love to try the leather covered wheel with a 1 micron diamond emulsion. Just remember that the tips on j-knives are really thin. I would be careful not to drag the tip past the edge of the wheel to avoid rounding the tip.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Not trying to confuse things here, but also have a look at this knife <https://www.chefknivestogo.com/hag3gy21.html> USD110, G3 (Ginsan) steel, really good looking knife, if that's important, thin behind the edge, and it also came good & sharp OOTB.

I've got the 240 version and I think it's one of the best bang for you buck knives on the site. Just a thought!!!
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I've used a Takamura and a MAC, though not the two you list. I also have been using a Kanehide PS60 for nearly 2 months. Dollar for dollar, this would be my pick of your list.

A Tormek should be able to handle these knives just fine. I would strongly advise you to buy a stone or two before sending a knife off to be sharpened. Freehand sharpening is far too easy to take up and would quickly repay the investment in savings.

No advice on wa vs western. I have a strong wa preference but you are navigating domestic peace, I'm not sure I would sacrifice that on the alter of a knife handle.
Ceriano

Post by Ceriano »

Is hitohira same as tamakura? I read somewhere it’s re-branded. I can’t find the R2 in stock anywhere in the US. Starta has the hitohira whixh heard is the rebranded takamura.

https://strata-portland.myshopify.com/c ... kka-handle
taz575

Post by taz575 »

Check out the Kohetsu series. Lots of options in western and Wa and in different steels, too.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ceriano wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:33 am Is hitohira same as tamakura? I read somewhere it’s re-branded. I can’t find the R2 in stock anywhere in the US. Starta has the hitohira whixh heard is the rebranded takamura.

https://strata-portland.myshopify.com/c ... kka-handle
Yes that Hitohira is a rebranded Takamura.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Captaincaed

Post by Captaincaed »

Nice to see one without the goofy HSPS stamp
Nmiller21k

Post by Nmiller21k »

There’s a great deal on a 210 in classifieds
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

I've tried some of those knives, but not the wakui. But based on what I've heard that is the one I would take my chance on.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

The Takamura is the best cutter of the bunch. The Wakui is a close second. Personally I'd go with the Wakui for looks and profile. I prefer taller knives.

As for the handle ... has your girlfriend ever used a Wa handle? If not, I wouldn't sweat it. I actually worried about this before I bought my first Japanese knife.

Now I realize my worries were ridiculous. A good handle is a good handle. I think wa handles are actually better and the transition to them was seamless. They can work with any hand, are very light, make a knife easier to handle and are easily customizable.

Western handles are too heavy and have too much contour for me. Some hands they dont fit as well as others. Good in a pro kitchen, all right, but not necessary at home.
Jeffry B