Forge to table

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Fredward

Forge to table

Post by Fredward »

Is it common for a blade to not be centered in a wa Handel? I just got a 8” Gyuto from forge to table. Ordered it on a whim before I found CKTG. Not super happy with it. It was only 75 bucks so now I know that I shouldn’t have expected much in the way of fit and finish. The blade, when gun sighted, looks to have a decent bend to it at the tip, the cutting edge seems straight, or at least I think it is. Anyway just wanted to know if it’s unreasonable to expect better fit up than this, even at the really cheap price point. Nice box though! And actually I really like the handle itself.
Attachments
B019C1B5-57A4-4909-9B51-4C1DCA5CA237.jpeg
75A7DC85-DC84-4224-A5A7-977586645C5F.jpeg
BAE43372-BD0E-477C-AA5E-23D6DB779D27.jpeg

Ourorboros

Re: Forge to table

Post by Ourorboros »

When Mark catches a blade like that, they seem to end up in Close Outs with a discount.

Renvers

Post by Renvers »

Some more expensive knives do have a reputation for poorer f/f but they also have well established reputations for amazing cutting abilities, which really is the important part. A crocked handle may look wonky but it doesn’t really effect usability and many simply chose to rehandle. It’s hard to tell in the pics but you say the blade itself has a bend which is potentially correctable too, but also has risks to fix.

To me you’re right in saying this is a case of you get what you pay for. So I guess the options are return it, experiment with fixing it (seems like a pain to me but would be learning experience), keep and use normally and/or designate the beater blade.

Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

It’s not uncommon. At that price point if you like the blade and the handle is comfortable, I would say it’s a win. I am assuming if you pick up the knife and use it without tooling carefully you can’t tell, right? The knife has to perform.

Altadan

Post by Altadan »

I can think of several hand made blades at this price-point that would/could exhibit similar issues (Daovua, Yoshimitsu Fugen series, to name just two), and yet their performance is plenty satisfying, while the rustic F&F is often part of their charm.

I'd vote either to ignore or rehandle (or gift ;) )
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld

Fredward

Post by Fredward »

Thanks everyone! The handle does annoy me. If it were offset to the other side I wouldn’t mind as much I think since the extra handle would be in my palm. Maybe I’ll try to fit a new handle

ronnie_suburban

Post by ronnie_suburban »

Is returning it not an option?
=R=

Fredward

Post by Fredward »

It is. I’m probably going to just return it. Was just really looking to see if I was being an unreasonable gaijin. Even on the Nishida Nakiri there, oval handle, if I look at it from the end of the handle it looks like the blade is at 30-40 deg, but I can’t tell if it’s the handle fit up, or the profile of just the end of the handle or what. I do understand that the Japanese actually appreciate the little imperfections while the American market wants perfection.

Fredward

Post by Fredward »

here’s what I’m talking about with the Nakiri. Not complaining about this one at all. Quite satisfied with it. And I can’t tell when I’m holding it, or I haven’t noticed yet.
Attachments
534A7B89-06F2-4ECA-9278-A695714724CA.jpeg