Monosteel stainless Gyuto, preferably "laser"

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Radar53

Re: Monosteel stainless Gyuto, preferably "laser"

Post by Radar53 »

Hi gladius. I've got no doubt that I'll be glad. This knife has been lurking in my mind for some time. So thanks for the prompt and the final push of the Promo Code. Christmas now seems even further away now .............
Cheers Grant

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not going to get you!!
nakiriknaifuwaifu

Post by nakiriknaifuwaifu »

+1 for a Takamura. Nice F&F, good price, really wicked thin and sharp.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

gladius wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:36 am
Radar53 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:59 pm Bugger!!!!!! I wish I hadn't read that as I'm now 3 hunnert USD lighter and in the queue
---
Soon you may be glad you read that after your first cutting session with the SIH! :)
Come back and let us know what you think.
Hey Gladius, just a quick update. Korin were waiting the arrival of new stock. Door (USA) to door (NZ) 5 days & 4 hours, which is incredible for halfway around the world, customs clearances etc & also given the other s**t like CV19 impacts etc delaying things. So top marks on delivery.

My wife is giving it to me for Christmas, so I was only allowed to inspect it to ensure all was present & correct, which it was. From what I could check from my "inspection" everything looks perfect & it feels bloody sharp. Now I'm counting down the days .......

Thanks again for the pointer including the 20% discount. At USD311 for a knife like this plus a saya ~ colour me expectantly happy :D :D :D
Cheers Grant

jknife

Post by jknife »

Radar53 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:26 pm
gladius wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:36 am
Radar53 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:59 pm Bugger!!!!!! I wish I hadn't read that as I'm now 3 hunnert USD lighter and in the queue
---
Soon you may be glad you read that after your first cutting session with the SIH! :)
Come back and let us know what you think.
Hey Gladius, just a quick update. Korin were waiting the arrival of new stock. Door (USA) to door (NZ) 5 days & 4 hours, which is incredible for halfway around the world, customs clearances etc & also given the other s**t like CV19 impacts etc delaying things. So top marks on delivery.

My wife is giving it to me for Christmas, so I was only allowed to inspect it to ensure all was present & correct, which it was. From what I could check from my "inspection" everything looks perfect & it feels bloody sharp. Now I'm counting down the days .......

Thanks again for the pointer including the 20% discount. At USD311 for a knife like this plus a saya ~ colour me expectantly happy :D :D :D
Hi Grant
Christmas has come and gone sooooo how's that knife?
The pig is a magical animal. It takes vegetables and turns them into bacon.
Radar53

Post by Radar53 »

Hi there jknife, and thanks for the prompt. Yes I got a few knife things for Christmas & so feel pretty spoiled really.

So in terms of the SIN (Suisin Inox Honyaki) 240 gyuto, in summary it's certainly an impressive knife.

A first for me, is that it comes with it's own saya as part of the deal. Generally the overall fit & finish was well on point, with the balance point right on a pinch grip for me, So it feels light & nimble and it was certainly good with fruit & veges (summer time in NZ). It reminded me from the outset of my Konosuke Swedish 240 and that's a good thing. Checking them out side by side they are very similar in feel through product, profile, dimensions etc, apart from the balance point being a bit further towards the handle on the Kono.

The one area which left me a little disappointed was the edge. When it came to cutting ripe cherry tomatoes with "difficult" skins, the SIN struggled and I ended up with a bit of tomato pulp. I'm used to & understand wabi sabi, but while reasonably sharp the edge was a bit of a mess. Much is made in the marketing bumph about the quality of edge & grinds, and given the price, I guess I was hoping for a bit more.

However, no big deal and I will put it to rights over 2 or 3 sharpenings. The first session of SG500, Nub 1k Platinum, SG2k, Nub Bamboo 5k, SG 8k, Nub Bamboo 10k made a big difference. I knew there was a good knife in there somewhere & it certainly cuts pretty damn well now. Those ripe cherry tomatoes with "difficult" skins are looking for somewhere to hide.

So definitely a welcome addition for me.

HTH
Cheers Grant