Upgrade from a Victorinox

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Inxider

Re: Upgrade from a Victorinox

Post by Inxider »

Isboogy
I just feel more comfortable with a bit smaller one. Not a pro by any mean would actually start cutting more myself most of the time the wife does the cooking.
I guess I would know what to get later on.

steven
I would add that one instead.

Bob
Would save the rod link for later.
Im still not sure if I should get the 280/1500 combo as it sound that 280 would take more metal.
Should I get the Shapton Glass 500 with Shapton 1.5K pro or glass 500 with the pro 2K.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

I have the glass 500 and pro 2000 stones like Dan does. But I rarely ever use the 500 and mostly touch up on the 2k stone. The 2k pro was recommended to me by others and I think there might be some forum topics on it so i got and and like it alot. Eventually you will want/need a lower grit stone like the 500 or a bit lower, and a higher grit stone to finish.

Go to this link and read down the page the post by Ken123 about 1k stones.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2097&p=19294&hilit= ... 000#p19294

I started off years ago with the 9 piece starter set sharpening kit and eventually got rid of the soaker stones and switched out to shapton splash and go stones. Much more convenient. But so you know you will need a stone holder of some type, and the deburring block is good to have also.
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/nastho.html
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

This stone holder https://www.chefknivestogo.com/sustho.html is worth the extra money and usually isn't out of stock long but with this virus crap...who knows.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Inxider

Post by Inxider »

thanks,
I ended up ordering the 500 and 2k with the deburring Felt Block.
Would see how it feels then order a stone holder as needed.

I guess I would need a diamond plate they have the 80 and 140 not sure which one to get.

I was going to order a few knifes and compare them but decided to order only one and see how it look in person if it look as good as it does on photos that the one I would order for late mothers date gift :-) for family.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

LOL! didnt want to confuse you with diamond plates etc that you might need but I see you got it under control. Either one should work id get the 140 or cheaper one. You can use the 500 to lap the 2000.

The stones you ordered are great and should do all you need for a long time. Order one knife, good idea!

See you in the rabbit hole!
Inxider

Post by Inxider »

lol I kinda get the workflow, dint even think about using the 500 to flatten the 2k but as the 500 is more $$ I would order the 140 on the next round.

I post back as soon as I get the order delivered.
Cant wait.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

Until you get a sizable number of knives your stone selections will be perfect. It will take a long time before you have to think about flattening the 2000 if you work smart and use all the stone areas for sharpening.
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Inxider wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 10:44 pm thanks,
I ended up ordering the 500 and 2k with the deburring Felt Block.
Would see how it feels then order a stone holder as needed.

I guess I would need a diamond plate they have the 80 and 140 not sure which one to get.

I was going to order a few knifes and compare them but decided to order only one and see how it look in person if it look as good as it does on photos that the one I would order for late mothers date gift :-) for family.
I found that the Shapton Pros (hence, "SP") come with boxes that double quite nicely as stone holders. Though I'd love to get me an over-sink one...
Nice purchase! You've have fun!
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Altadan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:54 pm ...I'd love to get me an over-sink one...
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

get the Tojiro Sink Bridge -

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/to1.html

have had a number of stone holders and this one is the schiz - quick, easy, stable
Altadan

Post by Altadan »

Jeff B wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:30 pm
Altadan wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:54 pm ...I'd love to get me an over-sink one...
Jeff, did you attach a photo, or mean to say something? :)
Neither my phone nor my PC show anything but my own words
“If we conquer our passions it is more from their weakness than from our strength.”
― François de La Rochefoucauld
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

My screen shows two amazon "a"s and rest is blank.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Ad blockers seem to mess with amazon links on this forum now. I turned off my ad blocker and I'm seeing two Amazon product adds.
I linked two sink bridges I thought might be of interest. No sure how to make them show up, lets try this...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07LBG7TST/ ... _lig_dp_it

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JR99YRC/ ... _lig_dp_it
Inxider

Post by Inxider »

wow thank everyone.
Good News the knife arrived earlier than expected.

I found it super funny when I saw the Japanese paper

Yes is sharp out of the box

Clean cut, next is a set of steak knifes

I find the size good. But I got cut within the first 40 seconds of holding the knife with the sharp corner near the fingers not sure what you call that part of the knife.

I think the finish is pretty good I have to take another look tomorrow to see if I find any imperfections :-)

I just realized it came with a plastic holder is that good or should I upgrade that to something else.
Now I gotta figure if I get another one or get a different one for my sister.

Looking again at the contestant
MAC seem that with time the nice lettering would fade.
Fujiwara FKM look like ink
Tojiro DP seem like engraving
Masutani VG10 engraving
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Inxider wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:10 pm ...I got cut within the first 40 seconds of holding the knife with the sharp corner near the fingers not sure what you call that part of the knife...
That would be the heel and that has bit many a newbie and pro alike. You will quickly learn to avoid that from happening but only after a few more bites. ;) :) There are some that will round that corner off a little on a stone to keep from getting cut. Nice looking knife.
Inxider

Post by Inxider »

Jeff

I don’t want any more bites, I looked at the others and they have the same shape.

I did consider cutting the edge with the dremel but I would ruin it. Have to see if I find how it look using the Stone instead.

So far happy it does look great.
Bob Z

Post by Bob Z »

That pissed me off first time i did it and I scraped the heel on the side of a coarse stone a bit to round it. But its been awhile now since that happened. I think i got cut more cleaning and drying these days. Hehe, sharp blades make nice clean cuts so they heal quicker!

Remember the old saying, "Never cut towards yourself"
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

I’m glad you like the knife. I really think they make excellent looking, great performing VG1 knives.

It’s not unusual to get that first cut. You can take your stone and using the side of the stone you take just a little off the edge of the heel point to reduce the risk.

You need to look for a blade guard to store your knife.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ckblfekngu22.html

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the knowledge and the experience available here. I hope you’re prepared prepared for the rabbit hole if you stay around and get the bug.
Inxider

Post by Inxider »

thanks,

so is the blade guard worth it I know is not expensive just wondering.
as this one came with a transparent plastic one not rigid no interior lining like that one.

I keep browsing the store and saw this other knife.
Tojiro VG1 https://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro.html any good or fragile? it just look thin where it connect to the handle.
is for a gift.
stevem627

Post by stevem627 »

The blade guards are quite worth it.

As for the Tojiro VG1 I’m sure it nice but it has a cheap handle. It’s worth trying out to see how you like a WA handle but I’d look at th4 Nakiri instead of the Santoku since you already have the Masutani. I’m probably going to but the Nakiri for my son.