Can't Decide

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
alex73092

Can't Decide

Post by alex73092 »

So I'm kinda in the market for a new knife and can't seem to decide which one I want to go with to replace or go along with my Richmond Addict. I'm stuck between the Takeda Medium Gyuto and one of the Kiri Cleavers, more so leaning towards the Tinker Tank. I like taller blades for my main knife, I think that's why I kept the Addict for so long.

I have a few knives but nothing crazy. I have an Addict, Tanaka Nakiri, Tojiro 185 Gyuto, Tojiro Paring, and Tojiro Bread knife. I also had the Kono HD2, but didn't really like the weight of it.

I think all my bases are covered, but if you see a hole that would be better suited by another knife than by all means offer the advise. The top of my budget would be the price of the Takeda, by the way.
bruin

Re: Can't Decide

Post by bruin »

Seems like you’re trying to compare some knives that are very different from one another... what does your current kit not do that you’re trying to cover with this new knife? Or what specific product do you want to use this new purchase for? Or maybe if you don’t have a good answer to those questions, you should just buy whatever knife is calling to you the most.
alex73092

Post by alex73092 »

You're right. I guess a more comparable knife to the Tank would be the Bunka from Takeda.

As far as my current kit, it doesn't necessarily have a gap. I'm just looking for something different to play around with. And I'm kinda drawn into these knifes based off the large height of them.
thetoe

Post by thetoe »

Dude if you like taller knives and dont have a Takeda yet....You're missing out man. Get it.
pgugger

Post by pgugger »

I’m only familiar with the Takeda among the ones mentioned but I really like my Takeda Medium gyuto and recommend them. They are unique certainly. Pros: Unparalleled food release, good edge retention at steep angle, tall so great for chopping and scooping off the board. Cons: some wedging or cracked hard product.
enjay

Post by enjay »

alex73092 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:02 pm You're right. I guess a more comparable knife to the Tank would be the Bunka from Takeda.

As far as my current kit, it doesn't necessarily have a gap. I'm just looking for something different to play around with. And I'm kinda drawn into these knifes based off the large height of them.
Disclosure: I've owned a Tank but only academic knowledge of Takeda.

Aside from the height, the Tank appears to have very little in common with a Takeda, in thickness, weight, or grind; it is one goddamn big boy like nothing else I've tried. Seems like you're in the mood for a new experience, rather than a need, so I'd recommend the Tank. Now, I won't guarantee that you'll enjoy that experience, which likely would require some adjustments in your technique, but it certainly should be fun to give that a ride to see if it clicks for you.
alex73092

Post by alex73092 »

Based off you saying that you've owned a Tank. What exactly did you not like about it that made you want to get rid of it? And what adjustments did you have to make?
enjay

Post by enjay »

alex73092 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:59 pm Based off you saying that you've owned a Tank. What exactly did you not like about it that made you want to get rid of it? And what adjustments did you have to make?
It's a unique (in its proper sense), fun battleaxe of a knife that cuts like a beast and I really wanted to like. Unfortunately, the xxxtra tall height obviously means my elbow would need to bend up more so than in other shorter blades. And sadly, for my 5' 8" body that ended up becoming uncomfortable. A bit of "It's not you, it's me," in a sense.

But man, look at this thing: