Help me find a Big bad prep beast!

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Nmiller21k

Re: Help me find a Big bad prep beast!

Post by Nmiller21k »

thetoe wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:56 am
Nmiller21k wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:24 am
thetoe wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:12 am Takeda! First thing I think of when I hear "Beast".
Takeda are very particular, you will either hate it or love it.
I'd find one that I know I'd like before trying one.
Why on earth would anyone hate a Takeda?
They’re very unique in design size and grinds.
I find that they flex a little too much for my personal preference.
jbart65

Post by jbart65 »

[/quote]
Could you tell me why the Kamo is High on your pro list? It is absolutely a beautiful knife.
[/quote]

Versatile profile - chopping, pushing and rocking.

Powered metal steel that takes and holds a great edge. Stainless too.

Workhorse power in midweight size (assuming you get a regular handle; the weight of these knives can vary sharply and also be listed incorrectly). Feel sturdy enough to handle any product but also capable of delicate work.

Great looks (a plus in a pro kitchen?)

If you don't rock much, the Tanaka Nashiji is another good one to look at.
Jeffry B
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thefungui wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:58 am ...The Gihei seems to also come highly recommend from you all. After looking into it a lot this one is fastly heading to the top of my list. I just haven't had any really experience with B#2. I have read a bit about it and the knife it self. Seems like it's a true beast. Has anyone had any first hand experience with the knife? How was the edge retention? How does it feel going through food? Does it make you smile when you use it? All things I want to know lol...
The Gihei is a true beast with excellent performance and edge retention. Sharpens easily and takes a scary sharp edge. One of the best bang for the buck knives you will ever buy. Yes it will make you smile when you use it!

The review wrote by Jsgillis86, a member here and works in a pro kitchen, says it all.

"Arrogantly, I provide a quote from a recent recommendation..'Think beefy brilliance, enormous heft that disappears via the balance point, well executed distal taper and a drool-worthy rendition of blue steel. There is so much wabi-sabi, handmade character in that knife it's not even funny, but she performs like a God-tier acrobat on steroids. My only caveat is that if hefty knives don't suit your fancy, she ain't gonna be your style.' Nuff said. Hell of a knife. Dollar for dollar, one of my better purchases."
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Bensbites

Post by Bensbites »

Is heel height important to you?

Where do you stand on the importance of food release vs thin grinds?

It’s not a rocking blade, but have you considered a cleaver.

I guess I think of high heels and cleavers.
Thefungui

Post by Thefungui »

So after all of your wonderful help and suggestions. I decided on the Kamo r2. The beauty and the form, it just magical and, checks all the boxes. I got it in today, it is a thing of beauty. The edge isn't the sharpest OTB but a few passes on the ol shapton glass it will be screaming.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate you all taking time out to help.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Thefungui wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:33 pm So after all of your wonderful help and suggestions. I decided on the Kamo r2. The beauty and the form, it just magical and, checks all the boxes. I got it in today, it is a thing of beauty. The edge isn't the sharpest OTB but a few passes on the ol shapton glass it will be screaming.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate you all taking time out to help.
Excellent knife, you won't be disappointed!
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.