Need Recommendation for Gyuto 210ish for Rocking

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
pcavaliere

Need Recommendation for Gyuto 210ish for Rocking

Post by pcavaliere »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santuko, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want?

4)How much do you want to spend?
$400? USD (under $600 Canadian)

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
No preference. Have two reactive. Carbon clad and semi stainless. Constantly wiping them down.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Hand-me-down 8" Western Stainless steel knife (used for cutting through bones).
Chan Chi Kee Chinese slicer (cleaver shape)
Just purchased Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto 240mm

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Good

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Rocker, Chopper. Push for bigger product.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
I have signed up for a class at Tosho Knife Arts

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.
I have used a German knife for years. Finally bought a Konosuke and realized that it was not the best for rocking (although capable).
I also purchased a cedar Konosuke cutting board as I was told that the softer wood is better to protect the edge. I find it bites hard and doesn't glide on it. My hardwood board glides better.
Wondering if there is a Japanese knife in the 210mm range that is good for rocking. e.g. through chives/herbs, scallions etc.
Last edited by pcavaliere on Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevem627

Re: Need Recommendation for Gyuto 210ish for Rocking

Post by stevem627 »

The Shiro Kamo R2 Damascus should fit well with your other 210.

Perhaps you might want a different size knife though for a little variety. A 180 would give you something different but the selection is limited,
enjay

Post by enjay »

This is not necessarily a direct recommendation but for fine-chopping herbs like parsley and cilantro I still use an old Henckels specifically so that I'd quickly rock without worrying. And doubly so when the leaves are wet and tend to stick to the board.
Igalor

Post by Igalor »

The skd is made by yoshikane, and while thst shop puts out excellent knives, they do not excel at rocking. While i can get away rocking with almost any knife, Tanakas knives lend themselves to rocking very well. Any flavour will do, and they are all great.
My tanaka 210 in r2 is my favorite knife. There isnt a lot that knife cant do, and when it comes to rocking, this little knife is amongst the very best ive used.
pcavaliere

Post by pcavaliere »

stevem627 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:33 pm The Shiro Kamo R2 Damascus should fit well with your other 210.

Perhaps you might want a different size knife though for a little variety. A 180 would give you something different but the selection is limited,
Thanks for the feedback. I will check out the Shiro. I just realized I misstated my Kono size. It is a 240. So a new 210 add something different.
pcavaliere

Post by pcavaliere »

Igalor wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:26 pm The skd is made by yoshikane, and while thst shop puts out excellent knives, they do not excel at rocking. While i can get away rocking with almost any knife, Tanakas knives lend themselves to rocking very well. Any flavour will do, and they are all great.
My tanaka 210 in r2 is my favorite knife. There isnt a lot that knife cant do, and when it comes to rocking, this little knife is amongst the very best ive used.
Thank you. Great feedback on the rocking. I will look at the tanaka R2.
pcavaliere

Post by pcavaliere »

enjay wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:42 pm This is not necessarily a direct recommendation but for fine-chopping herbs like parsley and cilantro I still use an old Henckels specifically so that I'd quickly rock without worrying. And doubly so when the leaves are wet and tend to stick to the board.
Good point. Maybe I stick with my German knife for herbs.
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Hi Paul,

I got your email and figured it would be better to respond here.

A good rocking profile is key. Flat edged knives like sanotkus are excellent at push cutting but lousy at rocking since there is very little belly. What you want is a knife with a profile that has a lifted tip.

Try this one. It hits your criteria and uses excellent steel you don't currently have (HAP40) which is always fun for comparative purposes: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy21.html
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
pcavaliere

Post by pcavaliere »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:00 am Hi Paul,

I got your email and figured it would be better to respond here.

A good rocking profile is key. Flat edged knives like sanotkus are excellent at push cutting but lousy at rocking since there is very little belly. What you want is a knife with a profile that has a lifted tip.

Try this one. It hits your criteria and uses excellent steel you don't currently have (HAP40) which is always fun for comparative purposes: https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohawagy21.html
Thanks for the reply and recommendation Mark. Would you consider it a Laser? How hard is it to change handles?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

No quite a laser but close.

The handles are glued on so they’re not easy to switch out.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
pcavaliere

Post by pcavaliere »

ChefKnivesToGo wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 pm No quite a laser but close.

The handles are glued on so they’re not easy to switch out.
OK thanks. What knife would you recommend that is considered a laser with a nice fit and finish?
cliff

Post by cliff »

Konosuke HD2. I prefer long blades in general, especially for herbs. You have to be careful with such a thin blade, but it is not hard to get used to.

ETA - I see you already have the SKD. Most of the lasers I can think of have flatter profiles. In terms of profile, I'd think the Kohetsu would fit, as suggested, or Tanaka, though the latter isn't a laser either.
pcavaliere

Post by pcavaliere »

cliff wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:20 am Konosuke HD2. I prefer long blades in general, especially for herbs. You have to be careful with such a thin blade, but it is not hard to get used to.

ETA - I see you already have the SKD. Most of the lasers I can think of have flatter profiles. In terms of profile, I'd think the Kohetsu would fit, as suggested, or Tanaka, though the latter isn't a laser either.
Hi Cliff, thanks for the reply. I've tried the Konosuke HD2. Really liked it and wanted it to work. However, I found that it has a very flat belly. Not very good for rocking. I found that when I tried to rock with it, it bites (stops) into the board. My opinion is that it is a good push/pull/chopper. Do you rock chop with it? Do I have to just have to use it and adjust to it? My thought was I wanted something that I didn't have to adjust to, but fit with my style immediatley. Maybe I should change my thinking?
cliff

Post by cliff »

It took me awhile to adjust. I tend to be more of a guillotine and glide cutter, but I do rock herbs. It took some time, but I have gotten used to the HD2 for that. I think a Western handled version would feel more stable and be an easier transition. It just takes a lighter touch
jmcnelly85

Post by jmcnelly85 »

I might offer some food for thought for your quest for a Japanese handled 210 laser rocker. Big bellied german knives, with their handle heavy build use their mass and curves to be well suited for rocking. Everything about their design aids in the rocking process. Lasers, on the other hand, are finesse instruments, suited for quick zips and high repetition with less fatigue. I’m not sure there is a “perfect” knife for you so it’s a matter or finding the compromise. Takamura’s R2 210 is certainly a full blown laser and it’s profile is versatile enough to be a suitable rocker. It has a western handle, leaving a neutral balance point in hand so rocking doesn’t seem awkward, either.
cliff

Post by cliff »

Agreed that laser's aren't really perfectly suited here. I'd also throw in the KS as very close to laser, performance wise, but more confident feeling. It's the best all around profile I've ever used.
Carlo

Post by Carlo »

jmcnelly85 wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:28 am I might offer some food for thought for your quest for a Japanese handled 210 laser rocker. Big bellied german knives, with their handle heavy build use their mass and curves to be well suited for rocking. Everything about their design aids in the rocking process. Lasers, on the other hand, are finesse instruments, suited for quick zips and high repetition with less fatigue. I’m not sure there is a “perfect” knife for you so it’s a matter or finding the compromise. Takamura’s R2 210 is certainly a full blown laser and it’s profile is versatile enough to be a suitable rocker. It has a western handle, leaving a neutral balance point in hand so rocking doesn’t seem awkward, either.
I agree with this 100%. I still find the Takamura a bit delicate for rocking, but it’s profile is that of a rocker and it’s definitely a laser, so if you’re looking for a laser with a profile that will rock this is a good choice. It is also easy to sell if you try it and decide it’s not for you.