First Carbon Knife Contender - Kohetsu Blue #2

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
Eli Chaps

First Carbon Knife Contender - Kohetsu Blue #2

Post by Eli Chaps »

So, thinking of picking up my first carbon knife.

This one is currently high on the list:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2nagy21.html

210 and Wa handle are a must. The knife is attractive as is the price. Stainless cladding a plus. It would be a daily driver.

Anyone with experience or thoughts?
Last edited by Eli Chaps on Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronnie_suburban

Re: First Carbon Knife Contender - Kohetsu Blue #2

Post by ronnie_suburban »

I love my 240mm Kohetsu Blue #2 Addict and this knife looks pretty similar, plus as you said, you get the advantage of the stainless cladding, which is nice. Here are some things I wrote about it in previous posts:
The keenly sharp, heavy blade dropped through them [sunchokes] effortlessly. The thick spine imparts confidence in cutting yet, it's not so over the top that splitting the food was a concern. No worries around the knuckles and assorted hard spots along the sunchokes' exteriors, either. This is a wonderful workhorse that fills a void in my kitchen, and is going to be a pleasure to use.
This knife is a lot more versatile than I initially gave it credit for. Yes, it's a beautiful beast and a workhorse but I couldn't believe just how precise and nimble it was on this cabbage. Cutting mostly uniform, relatively thin ribbons was a breeze. Really looking forward to putting in more time with this blade. I wonder how the tip will perform on a fine brunoise of shallots or similar.
A bit of overkill on the broccolini trimming but I love this knife for garlic, both smashing it and mincing it.
Coleslaw coming! I just can't get enough of this nimble beast . . .
I should know by now but this knife never fails to surprise me. Honestly, who needs a mandolin? You'd think this beefy knife couldn't handle such thin cuts but it handles them easily and accurately. Here, I sliced the eggplant into thin discs and salted them for about 90 minutes to draw out some of their bitterness.
=R=
Half of cooking is thinking about cooking.
Ozno_flash

Post by Ozno_flash »

I also was looking for reviews on the kohetsu blue2 nashiji compared to the yahiko series. From what I understand they are both cktg house brands and both are made in Sanjo. I didn’t get much of a response, which is surprising as the blue2 nashiji looks like a great value if you like that finish style.

Mark is also creating a new tall version 240 gyuto and he picked the blue2 nashiji line, so he must regard it well. Maybe some other owners will pop in and give some feedback.

https://www.chefknivestogoforums.com/vi ... =3&t=15254
bruin

Post by bruin »

I have the honesuki from this line and it’s great, F&F better than expected for the price. I think this is a great choice for your first carbon knife.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

A couple more that are high on my list:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yosabl2gy21.html

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh2nagy211.html

I really like the profile on that Yashito.
Santas_101

Post by Santas_101 »

If you are looking for your first carbon knife I would recommend something less reactive like a steel made of aogami super steel. It strikes a good balance between ease of maintenance and sharpen-ability. I’d recommend the Masakage Koishi 210mm gyuto, but it’s currently out of stock. You might want to try looking around at other dealers to see if they have it in stock.
Jason183

Post by Jason183 »

I have 2 of the western handle version, very nice, easy to sharpen and holds the edge well.
JASinIL2006

Post by JASinIL2006 »

My son bought a Kohetsu Nashiji Blue #2 petty, and it's a nice knife. The steel seems quite good, the nashiji finish is attractive (and helps with food release) and it's overall a very nice knife.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

That Yahiko Sanjo is best performer of the few that you've mentioned but that Kohetsu is a great bang for the buck, I think you'd be very satisfied with it.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
gladius

Post by gladius »

Yeah, I like the Sanjo << too. I have six of his knives (if the same smith who I think it is) all fantastic performers.
d_rap

Post by d_rap »

Couple reviews of that Yahiko Sanjo here, Mark posted one last week from a newer customer and there's one in the customer reviews that sold me over a year ago. That's a stand-out knife at $200 for sure.
David
Ozno_flash

Post by Ozno_flash »

Sounds like once again the answer is “both”. Maybe pick a smaller non gyuto to try in the kohetsu nashiji line might be my plan.
Mowgface

Post by Mowgface »

Of your choices, personally I would pick the Sanjo blade.

IMO there are two ways of approaching the “First Carbon” dilemma id say there’s only really two camps:

1.) Go stainless clad - gives you all the cutting benefits, with almost none of the drawbacks (until thinning).

2.) Go full carbon - Dive right in. Can be a b!tch to maintain, but opens you up to many amazing knives.

Two ancillary questions:

Grind: Wide bevel, Hamaguri, Flat - each grind will yield you a different experience. If this is your first Carbon, do you want to go with a familiar construction to isolate the steel experience, or go with a different to try two attributes at one time

Mono-steel vs Iron clad - Widely debated on performance benefits. Maintenance-wise If you were to go iron clad and like it/succeed in not having a knife the color of rebar, you can literally buy any knife available and not start a “how do I remove the rust, without ruining ruining my knife” thread.