Taking the dive... 210 Gyuto

We encourage you to post your questions about kitchen knives here. We can give you help choosing a knife.
turko

Taking the dive... 210 Gyuto

Post by turko »

1)Pro or home cook?
Home

2)What kind of knife do you want? (Gyuto, Santoku, Petty, Paring, Sujihiki, etc.)
Gyuto

3) What size knife do you want?
210mm

4)How much do you want to spend?
$199 max (nothing above this please... customs and tax issues)

5) Do you prefer all stainless, stainless clad over reactive carbon, or all reactive carbon construction?
Reactive… leaning towards one of the blues, not white as I understand these can be more reactive.

6)Do you prefer Western or Japanese handle?
Japanese

7)What are your main knife/knives now?
Wusthof 8 inch chef’s knife, Wusthof paring knife, Victorinox Fibrox chef’s knife

8)Are your knife skills excellent, good, fair?
Fair to good.

9)What cutting techniques do you prefer? Are you a rocker, chopper or push/pull cutter?
Push pull and rocking.

10)Do you know how to sharpen?
Learning, currently only own a 1k stone.

Please also add any additional pertinent information that can help everyone with suggestions.

Decided to take the plunge into the jknife world. I’m having a hard time trying to find several blue #2 monosteels at this price range, seems like they are mostly AS with cladding, which might be fine for a first reactive knife. I guess I am looking for a good middle weight knife as my first one, or something between mid and laser maybe. From what I have read I think most of these knives are balanced at the blade which is something I find I prefer. My Wusthof isn’t and the Vic is and I have found I prefer that “feel”.

While I am ready to purchase I am willing to wait for a good “out of stock” item to come back in stock. I say this without really knowing how long that can be, so if it is too long or even unknown please point this out to me. But I have no problem waiting a month or two for a good item.

Here are some possible options (open to others as well) from browsing through the forums and seeing what other users are buying/suggesting for first a knife:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html (Not sure about the edge grind being 60/40 and how this can impact sharpening for a beginner)
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/koshbl2gy21.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kobl2nagy21.html
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/mamigy21.html (Not too crazy about the plastic, but I can get over it if this is better than other options)
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/anasgy21.html (Out of stock)

cedarhouse

Re: Taking the dive... 210 Gyuto

Post by cedarhouse »

I'm not sure you'd see a huge difference in reactivity between white and blue steel knives.

Mono steel knives are relatively uncommon. The clad construction is often a cost saving measure so most knives you find will be clad construction.

I am not familiar with several of the knives you have listed but the Kohetsu AS meets pretty much all your criteria. The 60/40 grind will not effect normal sharpening. After many many sharpenings, when the knife needs thinning, it may change how you thin the knife, but that would be a very long time down the line.

The Anryu Hammered was always a personal favorite but I cannot speak specifically to either the AS or the Mizu.

turko

Post by turko »

cedarhouse wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:14 pm
I'm not sure you'd see a huge difference in reactivity between white and blue steel knives.

Mono steel knives are relatively uncommon. The clad construction is often a cost saving measure so most knives you find will be clad construction.

I am not familiar with several of the knives you have listed but the Kohetsu AS meets pretty much all your criteria. The 60/40 grind will not effect normal sharpening. After many many sharpenings, when the knife needs thinning, it may change how you thin the knife, but that would be a very long time down the line.

The Anryu Hammered was always a personal favorite but I cannot speak specifically to either the AS or the Mizu.
Yes.. the Anryu hammered and the Kurosaki AS were other knives I was considering.. but I just can't justify paying an extra 38% on taxes for a little extra cost. I have a tax free limit up to US$200. Good to hear about the 60/40 not affecting sharpening. Thanks.

If there is not much a difference between white reactivity, are there other knives I should consider?

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Carbon steels are not usually the problem when it comes to reactivity. Iron cladding has much more problems with rust or staining acidic foods than the carbon core. I think you'll be safe with any stainless clad over reactive carbon knife that curls your toes.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

gladius

Post by gladius »

The Makoto AS Ryusei Gyuto 210mm would be first choice. The Makoto White #2 Gyuto 210mm second choice. Third choice the Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm.

All are out of stock so enter for email notification for when they are back in stock.

Are you open to a 240mm?
...The Masakage Yuki Gyuto 240mm is in stock but lists at $205...maybe you can ask Mark if he will give you a five buck discount or charge that five bucks on the CKTG diamond plate you are getting. Worth an ask for an excellent knife I’d highly recommend.
This is one of the knives I recommend the most out of the roughly 200 different gyutos we sell on the site. —Mark Richmond

turko

Post by turko »

gladius wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:08 am
The Makoto AS Ryusei Gyuto 210mm would be first choice. The Makoto White #2 Gyuto 210mm second choice. Third choice the Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm.

All are out of stock so enter for email notification for when they are back in stock.

Are you open to a 240mm?
...The Masakage Yuki Gyuto 240mm is in stock but lists at $205...maybe you can ask Mark if he will give you a five buck discount or charge that five bucks on the CKTG diamond plate you are getting. Worth an ask for an excellent knife I’d highly recommend.
This is one of the knives I recommend the most out of the roughly 200 different gyutos we sell on the site. —Mark Richmond
I'm not too sure about the 240mm since I've never handled one. Would rather stick to 210 for this purchase. Interesting suggestion with handling the price overage. I've emailed Mark to see if there is something that can be worked out towards charging the additional to other items. If this is doable I can probably bump my budget up a bit and some nicer knives come into contention.

Drewski

Post by Drewski »

I love the Ryusei and Makoto suggestions. Something else, under budget, that might be worth considering is the Harukaze AS:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/haas21gy.html
I've never used, but have read good things.

Of the knives listed in the OP, I would be getting the Kohetsu AS. I have the HAP40 and really like it.

turko

Post by turko »

Just a little update.. I heard back from Susan and seems they are short of staff atm and can't help with shifting the charge to other items.. said to check back in a month or so. So will do.. works well to see if they get some other stuff in stock by then. I am leaning towards one of the Kurosaki brothers' knives.

turko

Post by turko »

Makoto Ryusei AS from CKTG coming down the pipeline.. will post pics when I get it

cedarhouse

Post by cedarhouse »

I'm not familiar with that particular knife. Looks promising. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Congrats.

Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

turko wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm
Makoto Ryusei AS from CKTG coming down the pipeline.. will post pics when I get it
Excellent knife, sure you'll be thrilled with it! This is thought to be a reincarnation of the Kurosaki Laser. I believe Makoto used to sharpen the Kurosaki laser for his brother Yu.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.

Miles

Post by Miles »

I bought the Ryusei after all the chatter here and it’s still surprises me how great a knife it is. It’s thin, holds a good edge, tall grind and light. My regret is only wishing I bought the 240 instead. Congrats- You will be thrilled with it

turko

Post by turko »

Jeff B wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:57 am
Excellent knife, sure you'll be thrilled with it! This is thought to be a reincarnation of the Kurosaki Laser. I believe Makoto used to sharpen the Kurosaki laser for his brother Yu.
The Fujin AS was my first choice but it was slightly above my "tax free" budget. I got the e-mail notification that the Ryusei was back in stock and I jumped on it. Glad I did as it sold out that very same night.
Miles wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:39 am
I bought the Ryusei after all the chatter here and it’s still surprises me how great a knife it is. It’s thin, holds a good edge, tall grind and light. My regret is only wishing I bought the 240 instead. Congrats- You will be thrilled with it
Good to hear! Can't wait to try it out.