Nubatama 6k Platinum announcement

Moderator: ken123

ken123

Post by ken123 »

This is a stone I have been waiting for for a while. that finally came through. As many of you know, the Nubatama Platinum stones have been very successful. I currently have 320 600 1k (in two hardness levels) 1500 2k and 3k grits. These are a subset of stones located in both the Ume and Bamboo lines of the Nubatama series of stones which I distribute. They are known for their ability to handle a very wide range of steels. The one 'flaw' in the series has been that 3k was the highest grit available. NO MORE! We now have a 6k Platinum added to the series. Here are first pictures of the stone. They come wrapped in plastic. I took off the plastic for additional pictures too. I have not yet used the stones (one will be in my private collection). First impressions are not surprising - they feel exactly like the coarser Platinums - just finer.. They should be a perfect fit for use to extend the existing Platinum series of stones. I also have the 6k Bamboo and 6k Ume stones available but IMO these are yet another class of stones. I have a limited supply of these so far and will folllowup with my own testing of the stones. As a group the Platinum stones are very fast cutting hard stones that seem to cut through a wide range of steels.
p6k2.jpg
p6k3.jpg
p6k4.jpg
p6k5.jpg
---
Ken
lsboogy

Re: Nubatama 6k Platinum announcement

Post by lsboogy »

You know I am looking for something like this - let us know what you think of it
ken123

Post by ken123 »

lsboogy wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:46 pm You know I am looking for something like this - let us know what you think of it
by all means! I'm actually quite excited about this stone. It could just be the missing piece (at least for me). I've been wanting a Platinum 6k stone at this grit for all kinds of knives and knife steels. It should supersede the other Nubatama 6k stones for many applications.

---
Ken
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

If it's a good thing, send me a bill and a stone - my birthday present may have to come early and Jen will hide it for a couple months. The Nubatama 1200 is a great, soft, muddy stone that has become my go to for setting edges (the big red brick is staying as well) - my Mizuyama 6K is 20 years old and is now only 16mm thick. Like the thing, but I want a new 6K, and after our conversations, it seems you know what I like.

Thanks Ken - I sharpening I trust (you)
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Ken what price are they?
ChefKnivesToGo
Site Admin

Post by ChefKnivesToGo »

Ken, please post product stuff in your subforum. That's why we have them.
Mark Richmond
Co-Owner Chefknivestogo
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/newarrivals.html
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Well all of a sudden these ran out and I have just one left (one on reserve and one is mine).

When I get more in - which might be some time, I'll post a followup on this stone in my subforum rather than in the main sharpening forum and announce new inventory there as well. I rarely get visitors there so I hope to see more of you taking a look in my subforum so I can post more inventory for all of you to see.

viewforum.php?f=18

I have a lot of inventory there that never sees the light of day here on CKTG. Hakka, aotos, bunches of Naturals and synthetics etc so PLEASE come on by and I'll post LOTS more.

---
Ken
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

ken123 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm ...I rarely get visitors there so I hope to see more of you taking a look in my subforum so I can post more inventory for all of you to see...
I have a lot of inventory there that never sees the light of day here on CKTG. Hakka, aotos, bunches of Naturals and synthetics etc...
Maybe if you posted some inventory you would get more visitors, there's nothing there to see. Chicken, egg?
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

I agree with Mark and Jeff. Only reason I stumbled on to you was finally joining the forum - I rarely join these types of things as most of my experiences have been people selling things instead of helping others. Ken's Corner only shows a few items - strops and sprays and such - there are no stones on there.

I've had the pleasure of chatting with you several times, and will soon have my second stone from you. I think a bit of added exposure might help more of the world get to know you and what you do. I'm glad I ran into you - all I can say. First person I've ever talked to who knows what I'm talking about describing what I do sharpening a knife - I feel like I'm talking to my mechanic about my cars - just got one out of his shop this afternoon - he put in new springs in the front and aligned the car with 1/2 degree less camber after I told him how that car steers versus my blue black car (he made it steer quicker on input from the steering wheel). I just wanted it to steer like the other one - he knew how to do it.

You knew which stone I wanted for my 1K from talking to me. The rest of the world needs such a person. Reason I go to this place is that Mark sells stuff that he works with and can tell me what I want from listening to me. Korin is a great knife house, but they want to know how much I will spend and then start recommending things. I use the knives from this site (and my Kikuichi stuff) more than anything else in my racks of knives. I will eventually probably end up with a complete set of stones from you - all the other ones will either be heirlooms or given to the next generation long before I die
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Hi Ken - stone arrived today. Have not had a knife in it yet, but I took it out and felt the thing with my hand for a quick check. It is harder than my Mizuyama 6K and feels more like a Kitayama 8K. It's also softer than my shapton 5K and 8K stones. It's also finer grit than any 6K I have (3 of them plus a couple combination stones with 6K) so this thing might just be a final stone for me for most things. And she's absolutely gorgeous - thanks - I'll probably give it a try on Sunday.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Glad it arrived safely. I'll be very interested in how you like the feedback, speed of abrasion on various steels, lack of dishing, water absorption rates - ie splash and go, etc. I'm hoping to break mine in tonight... You may find that the surface gets a bit more refined after a sharpening session - many stones do this, since the initial surface is often more a reflection of the cutting technique used to make the stone than how it refines itself with a bit of use. Have fun!

---
Ken
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Cutuu wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:09 pm Ken what price are they?
$170, and if past experience holds true worth every penny
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Jeff B wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:34 pm
ken123 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm ...I rarely get visitors there so I hope to see more of you taking a look in my subforum so I can post more inventory for all of you to see...
I have a lot of inventory there that never sees the light of day here on CKTG. Hakka, aotos, bunches of Naturals and synthetics etc...
Maybe if you posted some inventory you would get more visitors, there's nothing there to see. Chicken, egg?
As per your suggestion, I'll be adding to my posts there. Now that you are into naturals, come by and take a look.

---
Ken
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Took both my 8K Kitayama and the platinum 6K to a pair of 25mm white #1 kogatanas yesterday - straight steel so they can go into a SEM with just a decent trip in the acetone wash and Vertrel tanks). Single bevel knives with easy to follow bevels so no angle control is really required. Took them up to 800x on the SEM and measured the scratches on the steel - platinum stone is much more consistent grit (mostly right around 2.8 microns, smallest was 1.6 and biggest was 3.2), kitayama stone had grit from 0.8 micron up to 3.0 with most around 2.6. The platinum stone is harder, but has great feel and generates mud almost as fast as a Mizuyama 6K and as fast as the kitayama. It cuts really fast too - gets a wire on the edge with only 15 strokes after 2K stone.

I did flatten both stones before testing them, and using good w#1 steel at 60 HRC allows a good comparison. I think the edges are nearly the same, slight preference to the kitayama, but this is one good 6K stone. Much harder than my beloved Mizuyama, but you can control the feel by pressure much easier on this one (I backed off to almost nothing - 2 fingers - after a couple strokes. Did not dish as much as I would expect either. Much less than the kitayama (put them both on a granite surface plate and shined a light under them).

In short, my first impressions are very positive about this stone - much better than any other 6K I own and even a run at the 8K. Guess I have a new finishing stone for most knives. Good for me as both my 8K and 6K stones are about 16mm thick anymore - they would probably last the rest of my life but... I now have a birthday present - Jen tucked it away until November tonight.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Impressive review! Since a 6k stone should be a 3 micron product with narrow variance, the stone is right on the money!

---
Ken
lsboogy

Post by lsboogy »

Used both of them cutting some fish tonight - I think the one done on the platinum stone had a better edge and left a thin peice of tuna with a smoother surface. Took them both to the same peice, alternating between them and looked at the fish - just pulled the little blades across a few sashimi slices and took a look at the glisten - I like the platinum stone better - maybe having the grit with a tighter 3 sigma is a key.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Got some more of these in today! That last bunch just walked right out the door!

---
Ken