Sharpening Techniques Videos

Moderator: ken123

ken123

Sharpening Techniques Videos

Post by ken123 »

As a work in progress, I'm going to go over many of my videos, many of which are videos demonstrating Nubatama stones, but also some Japanese Natural stones.

Why?

Well, EVEN IF YOU HAVE NO INTEREST IN NUBATAMA STONES, this represents a significant body of knowledge in terms of specific sharpening techniques. It is unusual among 'how to' type videos in that it targets specific problems and demonstrates how to solve or handle them. ALL of these synthetic stones are directly available from me, but this doesn't mean that you can't accomplish similar results using other stones in many instances.

Another reason for posting these is that now these stones are also available for the EdgePro, KME and Wicked Edge, so these videos will also help this market segment even though the videos are of full sized stones.

The ordering sequence won't be perfect but I'm going to go from coarse to fine mostly, since the coarser grits are the foundation for the finer work. There are also videos that will be added to the sequence as time allows.

I'm planning on posting the videos in this thread just as links, since if they are all posted inline the page will load very slowly.

As I post these, feel free to comment on each of the videos in this thread.

---
Ken
ken123

Re: Sharpening Techniques Videos

Post by ken123 »

As a placemaker thread, this post will get revised as a table of contents for the thread. A work in progress.

Nubatama Ume 24 grit XXX Coarse Aratae Grit Waterstone - First Impressions - used for reshaping a knife and flattening stones.

---
Ken
ken123

Re: Sharpening Techniques Videos

Post by ken123 »

https://youtu.be/Pal9jkQXAsE

Nubatama Ume 24 grit XXX Coarse Aratae Grit Waterstone - First Impressions

This video shows major work on a knife, specifically reshaping the excessive belly of a Shun cleaver.
The stone is also referred to as Aratae, which translates as 'coarse cloth. It is particularly useful for major reworking of a knife - large chips, creating edges, etc. I have had users refer to it as a 'time machine' because of how much time it saves compared to finer stones.

It is particularly useful when you want to remove large amounts of metal without the worry of using a belt grinder that would generate a large amount of heat to remove that much metal.

Another application for this stone is to flatten other stones. Not only does it flatten stones but it also 'texturizes' the surface of a stone, giving a rough surface texture, bringing back coarser stones to life. This includes all oarser or Arato stones from all vendors, eg a 220 GlassStone.

This is the coarsest stone available. It dishes VERY slowly even compared to other coarse stones. Eventually even this stone will dish and if you are a very serious sharpener, you could get two of these and use one to flatten the other.

---
Ken