I'm Flattened

Moderator: Peter Nowlan

Peter Nowlan

I'm Flattened

Post by Peter Nowlan »

I have gone through a lot of different flattening plates and stones with very mixed results. The Atoma 140 has reigned supreme but I haven't tried things like a Nubatama 24 very very coarse stone, but I have tried just about everything else including the Shapton plate which is great but so expensive.

Today I picked up what may just be the answer to my flattening prayers. Initial impressions after lapping about 8 stones is that it is the best plate I have ever used and it's size makes it absolutely perfect for the job.

I've read so many positive reviews and spoke to a fella who has one and has used it in a professional environment for 6 years that I had to check it out. It's $245.00 Canadian. Impressed the heck out of me so far. It's 4" X 10" (100mm X 255mm(
J david

Re: I'm Flattened

Post by J david »

DMT was my first diamond plate (120 micron). It excelled at flattening stones, but when I used it for heavy thinning and reprofiling, it lost its diamonds quickly. I have since learned that some DMT plates wear prematurely and the manufacturer might replace it, however mine is years old and I've moved on. Atoma has been a better all around plate for me.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Well I'll have to wait and see. I plan to use it almost exclusively for flattening in conjunction with the Naniwa 220 flattening stone.
I love the Atoma as well and it will always be there if I want to go back to it.
craig_uw

Post by craig_uw »

I use the same plate. I find as a flattening plate it outperforms anything else I have tried as well.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing how it holds up.
Badgertooth

Post by Badgertooth »

I've only ever had a DMT XC and while it won't thin worth a damn, it's an excellent stone lapper now that it's mellowed out
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

I came very close to buying one of these when Mark offered them and wish now I had. Opted for the Atoma because of cost. I read a very praising article about the DMT Lapping Plate only after buying my Atoma. The Atoma is a very good plate but would love to have the DMT Lapping Plate. Maybe if I ever wear out the Atoma.

Must note that there is a difference in the DMT Dia-Sharp plate we're all familiar with and the DMT Dia-Flat that the flattening plate is.
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Must note that there is a difference in the DMT Dia-Sharp plate we're all familiar with and the DMT Dia-Flat that the flattening plate is.
That's a good point, it's not just a larger version of one of their normal plates. I got lucky when I bought it because the salesman was quite familiar with the product and uses it extensively in their shop.

I'll check back in down the road with an update
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Peter is yours the 120 micron or the 95 micron? I'm betting the 120.......
If God wanted me to be a vegetarian he wouldn't have made animals taste so good.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

You're right Jeff, 120.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

How does stiction compare to Atoma? That seems to be where Atoma gets a lot of praise.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Stiction is something I was worried about but there is none. No worries there.
Kit Craft

Post by Kit Craft »

Peter Nowlan wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:50 am Stiction is something I was worried about but there is none. No worries there.
Try an "Omura" from Wakayama and test that theory. I have yet to find a plate that will not stick to this stone unless flattening under running water. This thing just makes so much mud under an atoma that it marries itself to the plate. To be fair, it is the only stone that I have or have had that does this to such an extent. :lol:

Seriously though, you make me want to try one of these out as I have a lot of larger stones and the atoma just does not cut it (no pun intended).
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Trying to resist temptation for now. My current plate is definitely much slower than when new.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Hey Fellas, wait for 3 months, I have 90 days to return the plate if I am not satisfied.
I said the Naniwa 220 flattening stone was great but it pales in comparison. I have a tendency to think and say things are the best after only a little time with the product. I have to learn to hold off on my opinions until I give them a true test.
Having said that, the DMT lapping plate is continuing to blow me away.
Kit I only have the one Natural stone so far, I do intend to change that in the future but I can see you having a sticking problem with a muddy stone, I love muddy stones though.
Jeff B

Post by Jeff B »

Curious how this plate held up for you and your opinion of it after a few years. Is it something you would or have purchased again?
Cutuu

Post by Cutuu »

Jeff B wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:49 pm Curious how this plate held up for you and your opinion of it after a few years. Is it something you would or have purchased again?
It's a good diamond plate, but it suctions to the stone alot when doing serious flattening. For serious flattening, I suspect something like atoma would be better for less suction.
Peter Nowlan

Post by Peter Nowlan »

Had it well over a year now and there is no visible sign of wear. You can tell when an Atoma plate starts wearing.
I’ve had zero stiction issues.
Would I buy another?
No I would stick with the more aggressive Atoma 140

It’s a good plate for stones that just need a little flattening, it’s more gentle than Atoma. If I go to far though and need to get the job done quickly I’ll grab the Atoma every time.